Navka skips doping test in Europeans, N/K's Turino trip in jeopardy | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Navka skips doping test in Europeans, N/K's Turino trip in jeopardy

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Does reference an ISU rule that give the on-site official a certain amount of leeway. I'm still not clear that the "leeway" was properly used in this situation - I'll be interested in more info from those better informed about all the rules, and also how the ISU rules and the World Anti-Doping agency rules tie together. I'm not certain whether the ISU saying "it was OK" will be the end of this matter. Does anyone with more knowledge of the rules than me have an opinion?

All that being said, I think it was STUPID for Navka to leave the arena without peeing in the cup. This opinion assumes it's true that she was able to participate in the medals ceremony, stop in the lounge for a snack, etc. before leaving for the hospital. Why take a chance? If we haven't heard the last of this, and Navka ends up with a suspension, it's her own fault. Lord knows she's been on the podium enough times, and hence I assume has peed in enough cups to know better.

ITA DG. WHY did she not want to take this drug test? Her injury didn't prevent her from it. I have to admit that theorys galore are racing around in my mind.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
According to this article, Navka refused nothing! She was allowed to leave for the hospital. Besides, the article does mention that the ISU officials had the option of following her to the hospital and chose not to do so.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Piel said:
ITA DG. WHY did she not want to take this drug test? Her injury didn't prevent her from it. I have to admit that theorys galore are racing around in my mind.

To Ptichka's feedback, I really don't suspect big conspiracy theories. At an extreme, I don't think Navka intentially cut her hand to avoid a pee test.

On the other hand, I think it was just plain stupid....that is if I understand the drug testing rules correctly, and they go way beyond the ISU, especially in an Oly year. I don't have any big conspiracies in mind (i.e. GEEZ that Navka is abusing drugs as well as wearing HEADBANDS I don't care for!!). I just think it was not too smart. And if she pays a price for that, so be it.

In international competition, the dope testing is serious, and it's serious in general (across sports) for very good reasons, IMO. Any competitor at this level who doesn't take this aspect seriously deserves what they get IMO. And my opinion would be the same if we were discussing B/A (since I'm in the US) or the drug testing rules I have to abide by when showing my dogs, or that I used to abide by when showing horses. Drugs are a serious issue in many forms of athletic competition, and for the safety of all concerned (for me, especially animals) I am in favor of seriousness.

DG

Evdokia

On the Ice
Doggygirl said:
I just think it was not too smart. And if she pays a price for that, so be it. In international competition, the dope testing is serious, and it's serious in general (across sports) for very good reasons, IMO. Any competitor at this level who doesn't take this aspect seriously deserves what they get IMO. DG
You almost sound, like you are hoping that Navka gets punished, despite she asked the officials for allowance to go to hospital. :unsure: I really don’t know what you expected from her? Asking for a waiver and when she got it telling the official: Oh, no, I won’t take it, I’ll pee in that cup, cause I can’t rely on what you stupid official have told me??? Sportsmen are neither lawyers, nor officials, so they need to rely on what they are told by the responsible persons. Navka asked for a waiver, and that’s all what she could do – she behaved 100 % within the rules. Oviousely she wouldn’t have gone to hospital without permittance.

Now if the permittance was given rightly, that’s another question, but if ISU-officials can’t handle their tasks, this should not be Navka’s problem, but the one of ISU. Obviousely there was no WADA official there, she could ask. However, from that article it looks, like all things were done right, expept that no official accompanied Navka to hospital, which once again again isn’t her responsibility, blame ISU for that. :mad: