NBC.... Why only ladies not men? | Golden Skate

NBC.... Why only ladies not men?

lopesgw

Rinkside
I am dumbfounded. NBC tv is only broadcasting the ladies free skate, relegating all 3 other areas to a follow up presentation.

We have some wonderfully expressive and mature female skaters but they will not have a shot at medals with all the youngsters mechanically performing triples and quads.

But our men have great prospects... Nathan and Vincent both have the potential to medal... and who doesn’t want to savor Jason’s short again?!

Our ice dancers, especially H and D, have more chance of placing at the top than do the ladies!

I’m so tired of the focus on the women’s competition, sitting through so many ho hum skaters in order to view our competitors only to see them beaten by unartistic expressively bland skaters who jump.

But to not show the men when we have the World Champion unbeaten since the last Olympics is just unfathomable. Someone please help me understand...as I see figure skating fans are mostly older women...when there are opportunities to engage younger people with world class athlete performers like Nathan.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I am dumbfounded. NBC tv is only broadcasting the ladies free skate, relegating all 3 other areas to a follow up presentation.

We have some wonderfully expressive and mature female skaters but they will not have a shot at medals with all the youngsters mechanically performing triples and quads.

But our men have great prospects... Nathan and Vincent both have the potential to medal... and who doesn’t want to savor Jason’s short again?!

Our ice dancers, especially H and D, have more chance of placing at the top than do the ladies!

I’m so tired of the focus on the women’s competition, sitting through so many ho hum skaters in order to view our competitors only to see them beaten by unartistic expressively bland skaters who jump.

But to not show the men when we have the World Champion unbeaten since the last Olympics is just unfathomable. Someone please help me understand...as I see figure skating fans are mostly older women...when there are opportunities to engage younger people with world class athlete performers like Nathan.
If you want to watch all the skating, you need to get Peacock Premium. That is the way NBC is doing things now with the skating broadcasts, plus to Peacock is no commentary (at least there wasn't for the last competition).

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
They go where the best chance of some ratings are. Recall that recent thread on the deadness of skating in the US - in the absence of any major popular drawcards, NBC will always go with the ladies.

It isn't the job of the TV stations (defend them as I do not wish to) to bolster the sport, it's the job of the sport to be worth it numbers-wise.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree 100% with Ic3Rabbit. Peacock Premium is your best option. Sign up for it for $4.99 for one month and you will see EVERYTHING live with (most likely) no commentary. My recollection is that you can also watch replays of the events, although it's hard to know if they'll do Worlds the same way they did US Nats. I have NBC SN but get tired of them picking and choosing which skaters I'll see. I feel the same as you about the men, and I love pairs and don't want to miss any of the skaters!

luckyu2

On the Ice
Definitely has something to do with the event schedule. Men’s competition starts around 6am Eastern time/3am Pacific time while ladies’ takes place in the afternoon. I remember NBC delayed broadcasting RIO Olympics opening ceremony for about 2 hours to get better ratings and I had to stream it from foreign broadcasters.

RoundedBackCamel

On the Ice

Agreed. I never like how US-centric NBC coverage is. Especially at Olys. In gymnastics, sometimes they don’t even show the performances of the other countries, like Russia, when the head-to-head competition is strong and it would be the best story. But, jeez, these storylines are presented to them on a silver (gold?) platter. They have another chance to bring us the story we were all denied because of Covid in 2020. We have Nathan the chill Ivy League guy who can crank out quads and is current world champion and who hasn’t gone head-to-head with the ever-mysterious and fascinating Hanyu (still two-time Oly champion) since the Grand Prix Finals of 2019. We had the great story going last season with Shoma, who was falling apart at beginning of season (so much so that ppl started clocking his online gaming activity at all hours) until Lambiel came in helped him get his head together and now he’s back with two fab new programs. We have Vincent who has always been in Nathan’s shadow but has improved his under-rotations and artistry. We have Boyang of China, who has upped his artistic game and can jump like crazy. We have fan fave Jason, who, dangummit, might land his first quad in completion finally. We have Kolyada who we didn’t see last year but who has the most beautiful free of the year, if he can get it together in the SP and fight his mental demons.

And those are just the veterans! There are plenty of up-and-comers.

Sigh. Men’s skating has always been my fave discipline and it’s always been given short shrift. I recall watching men’s short program at 2 a.m. on Thursday, US Eastern (New York) time, before streaming. I’ve gotten bored with the ladies over the years. I know it’s amazing what they’ve achieved in technical skills, but I’m not seeing artistic innovation and music is usually dull. And last year, it was all about the three A’s sweeping (don’t get me wrong; I love me some Russian ladies team drama but that’s the gossip, not the skating. U.S. does not have anywhere near a viable ladies contender, but it’s nearly the same story as last year, except with some great skaters from Japan).

I think we’re all mystified as to why skating is only popular in U.S. during Olys. Every year I try to get my mom and sisters into it, but they’re not biting. My sis who used to watch just texted “it’s so anticlimactic this year.” I wanted to say, No, it’s not! At all. But I think they are overwhelmed by the stories and “new” (to them) scoring system. And I hate to say it, but there exists homophobia still abt men’s skating in the U.S. bcs we don’t have the tradition of, say, Russian ballet or even Spanish bullfighting. We fans know these men are some of the most amazing athletes on Earth.

As I say to my husband (who only watched during those great Ice Wars years in the ‘90s spurred by the Tonya/Nancy drama): THIS is my March Madness!

Last edited:

lopesgw

Rinkside
Agreed. I never like how US-centric NBC coverage is. Especially at Olys. In gymnastics, sometimes they don’t even show the performances of the other countries, like Russia, when the head-to-head competition is strong and it would be the best story. But, jeez, these storylines are presented to them on a silver (gold?) platter. They have another chance to bring us the story we were all denied because of Covid in 2020. We have Nathan the chill Ivy League guy who can crank out quads and is current world champion and who hasn’t gone head-to-head with the ever-mysterious and fascinating Hanyu (still two-time Oly champion) since the Grand Prix Finals of 2019. We had the great story going last season with Shoma, who was falling apart at beginning of season (so much so that ppl started clocking his online gaming activity at all hours) until Lambiel came in helped him get his head together and now he’s back with two fab new programs. We have Vincent who has always been in Nathan’s shadow but has improved his under-rotations and artistry. We have Boyang of China, who has upped his artistic game and can jump like crazy. We have the possibility of one of the top two trying a quintuple! We have fan fave Jason, who, dangummit, might land his first quad in completion finally. We have Kolyada who we didn’t see last year but who has the most beautiful free of the year, if he can get it together in the SP and fight his mental demons.

And those are just the veterans! There are plenty of up-and-comers.

Sigh. Men’s skating has always been my fave discipline and it’s always been given short shrift. I recall watching men’s short program at 2 a.m. on Thursday, US Eastern (New York) time, before streaming. I’ve gotten bored with the ladies over the years. I know it’s amazing what they’ve achieved in technical skills, but I’m not seeing artistic innovation and music is usually dull. And last year, it was all about the three A’s sweeping (don’t get me wrong; I love me some Russian ladies team drama but that’s the gossip, not the skating. U.S. does not have anywhere near a viable ladies contender, but it’s nearly the same story as last year, except with some great skaters from Japan).

I think we’re all mystified as to why skating is only popular in U.S. during Olys. Every year I try to get my mom and sisters into it, but they’re not biting. My sis who used to watch just texted “it’s so anticlimactic this year.” I wanted to say, No, it’s not! At all. But I think they are overwhelmed by the stories and “new” (to them) scoring system. And I hate to say it, but there exists homophobia still abt men’s skating in the U.S. bcs we don’t have the tradition of, say, Russian ballet or even Spanish bullfighting. We fans know these men are some of the most amazing athletes on Earth.

As I say to my husband (who only watched during those great Ice Wars years in the ‘90s spurred by the Tonya/Nancy drama): THIS is my March Madness!
Agreed!!!!
If you want to watch all the skating, you need to get Peacock Premium. That is the way NBC is doing things now with the skating broadcasts, plus to Peacock is no commentary (at least there wasn't for the last competition).
I guess my thought is until people are enthusiastic fans they’re not going to pay to watch... NBC is a way to draw new viewers in... But they fail to take advantage of the incredible skaters we do have by focusing so intensively in the women’s competition...

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Agreed!!!!

I guess my thought is until people are enthusiastic fans they’re not going to pay to watch... NBC is a way to draw new viewers in... But they fail to take advantage of the incredible skaters we do have by focusing so intensively in the women’s competition...
Look, if you are not a fan of the women fine, no one is forcing them down your throat except maybe NBC, and even then I'd debate it because they've changed most of their coverages of Nationals, etc to focus on the men and dance. If you want to complain that anyone's getting the short end of the stick it's the poor pairs teams, but that's discussion for another day.

And enthusiastic fans?! They definitely exist, but this isn't 1994, with the knee crack heard around the world. There will probably never be non skating fan interest in the sport to that degree ever again unfortunately, which is probably for the best due to covid and the fact that most events can't even have spectators.

Rant over.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And that’s why I won’t pay them. I want commentary. I know not everyone does and I know you know enough to not need it. I don’t and I’m not going to learn without it. I used to go to Nationals and listen to Skate Radio with Jimmie Santee, come home, watch NBC Sports Gold with good commentary. Togglable commentary would be ideal, but that’s probably never going to happen.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Look, if you are not a fan of the women fine, no one is forcing them down your throat except maybe NBC, and even then I'd debate it because they've changed most of their coverages of Nationals, etc to focus on the men and dance. If you want to complain that anyone's getting the short end of the stick it's the poor pairs teams, but that's discussion for another day.

And enthusiastic fans?! They definitely exist, but this isn't 1994, with the knee crack heard around the world. There will probably never be non skating fan interest in the sport to that degree ever again unfortunately, which is probably for the best due to covid and the fact that most events can't even have spectators.

Rant over.
I just watched a documentary on Calgary and there was a great deal of interest then with the Battle of the Brians and the Battle of the Carmens. It wasn’t knee crack level of interest but there was definitely great interest. I don’t know what has changed. I have several ideas.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Agreed. I never like how US-centric NBC coverage is. Especially at Olys. In gymnastics, sometimes they don’t even show the performances of the other countries, like Russia, when the head-to-head competition is strong and it would be the best story.
NBC showed everything from Rio live online- the International feed. Most of the time with an international commentator. Gymnastics is huge in the US of course so they had American commentary, but it was still the International feed so they had to comment on what was there instead of just the Americans.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

NBC showed everything from Rio live online- the International feed. Most of the time with an international commentator. Gymnastics is huge in the US of course so they had American commentary, but it was still the International feed so they had to comment on what was there instead of just the Americans.
Figure skating is one of the few sports where women are more p opular than men and where the viewing power is focussed on the ladies een if not American dominated. Yes, all three American men have a medal chance but they just don't have the interest orendorsements. Nathan is ana mazing athlete, skater but he is not as a big as a draw for endorsements. Life isn't fair.

mrrice

Record Breaker
IMO, NBC is making a huge mistake here. They should be promoting Nathan as a serious contender for the Olympic Gold in 2022. We all love a winner and the US will definitely be watching if they know we have a REAL shot at bringing home the gold. I love our ladies but, I think we'd all be thrilled if Bradie makes the top 5. We also have 3 Men instead of 2 like our ladies. As much as we all love skating, most people will not be thrilled to see other countries beat our skaters ( Even though they deserve to )

Last edited:

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The funny thing that for me, without peacock I wouldn’t be here. I started following the sport again because they added figure skating coverage. I subscribed to peacock for the premier league and the skiing and only sampled figure skating because they moved it from gold.

And I love that there is no commentary. I’ll get the commentary on this forum and do not need the inevitable hacks the tv station will employ anyway,

And I’m a male. Don’t watch anything except the ladies. So NBC is right.
But it wasn’t the American ladies that kept me; it was the Russians. Haha

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Great jumps are actually very artistic expressive. True poerty in motion.

The American ladies get beat by better skaters. No shame in that.

Lzbee

Final Flight

I agree it makes no sense not to show your medal prospects but were these comments necessary? American ladies are clearly your favourite but you're generalising a whole lot of ladies skaters there.

readernick

Medalist
I think ladies is perhaps the least exciting event this year. Love Rika and Sasha but the three top podium places are pretty much going to be distributed in some manner between those two and the lovely Anna. Men's, Ice dance, and pairs are so much less predictable and the Men's field is stacked. The US men are also real contenders.. The US ice dancers, too. Why isn't the US promoting them?

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I just watched a documentary on Calgary and there was a great deal of interest then with the Battle of the Brians and the Battle of the Carmens. It wasn’t knee crack level of interest but there was definitely great interest. I don’t know what has changed. I have several ideas.
My point wasn't that skating was only popular after Tonya Nancy, I know darned well it wasn't, they just increased it more. I am saying that it went down greatly after that.

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
IMO, NBC is making a huge mistake here. They should be promoting Nathan as a serious contender for the Olympic Gold in 2022. We all love a winner and the US will definitely be watching if they know we have REAL shot at bringing home the gold. I love our ladies but, I think we'd all be thrilled if Bradie makes the 5. We aslo have 3 Men instead of 2 like our ladies. As much as we all love skating, most people will not be thrilled to see other countries beat our skaters ( Even though they deserve to )
They are, USFSA all over social media and even NBC on their stations, but as someone else said in this thread, the timing with broadcasts and Worlds being in Europe is affecting this.