NBC.... Why only ladies not men? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

NBC.... Why only ladies not men?

isk82

On the Ice
I just went on the app and both events from today are there.
I watch on my MacBook Pro so I don't use an app - maybe that's the difference? For Nationals, you could join in progress and go back to see what you missed. Or you could watch another day and start from the beginning. I'll have to look again. Thanks! Maybe I'm missing something

RoundedBackCamel

On the Ice
He really is good.
I have to rescind at least that part of my NBC rant, as least as it regards Peacock, which is free for Comcast/Xfinity subscribers since weā€™re geoblocked from YouTube stream. I had to look up Mark Hanretty. I was only familiar with the Eurosport guys and then the English guy who was doing the Channel 1 commentary for the Russian events (I was grateful for the Russians airing so many events during the drought of completions that I tolerated the inept commentary). But Mark Hanretty is a real treat. Tara and Johnny have their favorites, and I suspect the ones the producers/fed want them to promote (as did the great Dick Button (who didnā€™t like Plushā€”ā€œarm movements adding up to nothingā€ā€”and although he favored Yagudin, he didnā€™t sing his praises. At all). I appreciate Markā€™s even-handedness.

Iā€™m grateful for not having to rely on T & Jā€™s commentary. Itā€™s a little precious, but theyā€™ve gotten better. Plus bcs skating isnā€™t that popular in U.S., they have to explain the scoring system every.single.time.

Last edited:

catgirl

Spectator
I am dumbfounded. NBC tv is only broadcasting the ladies free skate, relegating all 3 other areas to a follow up presentation.

We have some wonderfully expressive and mature female skaters but they will not have a shot at medals with all the youngsters mechanically performing triples and quads.

But our men have great prospects... Nathan and Vincent both have the potential to medal... and who doesnā€™t want to savor Jasonā€™s short again?!

Our ice dancers, especially H and D, have more chance of placing at the top than do the ladies!

Iā€™m so tired of the focus on the womenā€™s competition, sitting through so many ho hum skaters in order to view our competitors only to see them beaten by unartistic expressively bland skaters who jump.

But to not show the men when we have the World Champion unbeaten since the last Olympics is just unfathomable. Someone please help me understand...as I see figure skating fans are mostly older women...when there are opportunities to engage younger people with world class athlete performers like Nathan.
Hm...I see in my live guide that the Pairs programs are airing on NBCSN in about 40 minutes and the men are airing Thursday afternoon, same channel. Then everything airs again next week on Olympic channel. I've got them all set to record.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION šŸ”„
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^Same. I wondered why they weren't airing the pairs short then saw it was later. Can't stay up too late though, have to get up early tomorrow for the men's short!!!

lopesgw

Rinkside
OK. This is the reason only the ladies free skate is being shown - Basketball! It's that simple and that silly. Of course, the men's should be shown too. However, I am not fond of this idea that the young Russian and Japanese skaters are not expressive skaters. Imo, Tennell is not as expressive or as exciting to watch as Shcherbakova, Kosternaia, Valieva or Kihara. None of these skaters, nor even Trusova, seem mechanical to me, or deserve to be dismissed so cavalierly. Nor I am a fan of a highly patriotic position. I am looking forward to watching Chen and Zhou, but I am also looking forward to seeing Hanya, Kolyada and Uno.
I thought Scherbakova had improved... but Trusova was lackluster. Youā€™re correct that Tennell isnā€™t very expressive yet but Karen Chen was wonderfully expressive...as is Liu.

lopesgw

Rinkside
Hm...I see in my live guide that the Pairs programs are airing on NBCSN in about 40 minutes and the men are airing Thursday afternoon, same channel. Then everything airs again next week on Olympic channel. I've got them all set to record.
NBCSN was challenging as events that were supposed to be live were not available at the time... Bless Rocker Skating which posted a back up livestream in Chinese! The menā€™s events and ice dancing were not available on replay, only pairs and women. Thankfully some US make performances were posted on YouTube in Chinese and were not removed or blocked like the Spanish and Eurosport.