Needed. Computer expert who wants to make a million... | Golden Skate

Needed. Computer expert who wants to make a million...

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
It COULD be just me but after alot of googleing, I see NO way to quickly cancel a print job, other than pulling the power cord, leading to my conspiricy therory that someone wants us to waste paper, ink, and wear and tear on our printers. Ever want to quickly stop printing 20 pages?

How hard would it BE to write a little program that accessses the printer Que and cancels the job or the whole que with a (Windows Key + F) for fiddles sticks.

Maybe y'all are quick enough and young enough to access the task manager and que with three or four mouse clicks...I am not....

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It COULD be just me but after alot of googleing, I see NO way to quickly cancel a print job, other than pulling the power cord, leading to my conspiricy therory that someone wants us to waste paper, ink, and wear and tear on our printers. Ever want to quickly stop printing 20 pages?

How hard would it BE to write a little program that accessses the printer Que and cancels the job or the whole que with a (Windows Key + F) for fiddles sticks.

Maybe y'all are quick enough and young enough to access the task manager and que with three or four mouse clicks...I am not....
People don’t really much print things out anymore. So I’m not sure how much money would be made. I’m on a mission to be as paper free as possible.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
People don’t really much print things out anymore. So I’m not sure how much money would be made. I’m on a mission to be as paper free as possible.
Its me. I admire your ability to save paper and trust computers. I document all my car and motorcycle maintenance, doctors visits, medications, and important insurance information. When I travel near and far, I print out google maps since I am alone. I print out procedures to carry out on equipment. Before computers, I used type writers. Or by hand. I am the king of the three ring binder.
On my ranch, internet in or out side the house is a sometimes thing. My Galpal puts on dog events. You would not believe how much paper THEY need to go on.....
The good news is we dont have garbage pickup and dont need it. Our recycling center takes about everything through mercury and short of plutonium. And Spokane has a waste to energy plant for those people who dont recycle.
Composter Chris

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Its me. I admire your ability to save paper and trust computers. I document all my car and motorcycle maintenance, doctors visits, medications, and important insurance information. When I travel near and far, I print out google maps since I am alone. I print out procedures to carry out on equipment. Before computers, I used type writers. Or by hand. I am the king of the three ring binder.
On my ranch, internet in or out side the house is a sometimes thing. My Galpal puts on dog events. You would not believe how much paper THEY need to go on.....
The good news is we dont have garbage pickup and dont need it. Our recycling center takes about everything through mercury and short of plutonium. And Spokane has a waste to energy plant for those people who dont recycle.
Composter Chris
I have all that on my phone. I travel alone and my phone tells me where to go (years ago I printed out Google maps and read them driving down the road), now I can just listen. We have garbage pickup but no recycling. I sell cans and there is a recycling center that takes paper. For plastic, glass, etc they charge $3 per bag to take it.
We always have good fast Internet as well as I have unlimited cell data. If necessary my car can turn into a hotspot for $20 per month but I don’t need it so I don’t pay for that option.

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
@CoyoteChris what printer do you have and what device do you print from? Also, what kind of documents are you printing?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
@CoyoteChris what printer do you have and what device do you print from? Also, what kind of documents are you printing?
I have an HP Envy 4500 wirelessly connected to a Windows 10 HP desk top and a Windows 7 desk top. I use INSTANT INK.
Mostly, I print MS Word docs...health issues, maintenance records, financial planning....all of which are self inflicted. The docs get stored on line and on hard drives, etc and are periodically updated....other than clicking on the printer icon and going through the three hoops to cancel a job (are you really sure you want to do this?) I got nothin. I dont get snookered very often I might try the control pannel of the printer....

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I have all that on my phone. I travel alone and my phone tells me where to go (years ago I printed out Google maps and read them driving down the road), now I can just listen. We have garbage pickup but no recycling. I sell cans and there is a recycling center that takes paper. For plastic, glass, etc they charge $3 per bag to take it.
We always have good fast Internet as well as I have unlimited cell data. If necessary my car can turn into a hotspot for $20 per month but I don’t need it so I don’t pay for that option.
I think I am paranoid as I fixed hand held electronic devices for 25 years. LOL! Never trust a transistor, I says. I carry 2 cell phones..one on att, one on verizon, when I travel. Part of this is the way different people are wired. I am a very visual person who loves maps...ones I can fold a certain way and put in the window of my motorcycle tank bag....like state maps.....I like the detail they give me....
I had to get to another one of those endless doctors visits today. It was in a very complex part of downtown Spokane full of one way streets, river bridges, and "you better be in THIS LANE HERE turns. " At home, I viewed the turns on google street view and saw the pit falls...

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think I am paranoid as I fixed hand held electronic devices for 25 years. LOL! Never trust a transistor, I says. I carry 2 cell phones..one on att, one on verizon, when I travel. Part of this is the way different people are wired. I am a very visual person who loves maps...ones I can fold a certain way and put in the window of my motorcycle tank bag....like state maps.....I like the detail they give me....
I had to get to another one of those endless doctors visits today. It was in a very complex part of downtown Spokane full of one way streets, river bridges, and "you better be in THIS LANE HERE turns. " At home, I viewed the turns on google street view and saw the pit falls...
I hate maps. Never been able to read them. My phone gives very specific instructions - stay in the left two lanes. Go past this traffic light and turn right at the stop sign. Speed trap reported ahead. Slow traffic ahead - you are still on the fastest route OR would you like to change routes.

Even if I could read maps, I’d never be able to retain the kind of detail you’re talking about. I take meds that really mess with my short term memory. I could take notes but then I’d have to read them driving down the road.

We are all different and it’s great to have options. 😀

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I hate maps. Never been able to read them. My phone gives very specific instructions - stay in the left two lanes. Go past this traffic light and turn right at the stop sign. Speed trap reported ahead. Slow traffic ahead - you are still on the fastest route OR would you like to change routes.

Even if I could read maps, I’d never be able to retain the kind of detail you’re talking about. I take meds that really mess with my short term memory. I could take notes but then I’d have to read them driving down the road.

We are all different and it’s great to have options. 😀
At the risk of having to put on my "flak" jacket, you are not alone, and like it or not, many (not all) women see directions differently. My friend Lora told me the way to get to their campground in Deer Lodge MT. "Go right to the first light, past the Les Schwab dealer, turn right at X street and then right again on y street. Dont get me wrong...the airlines have many excellent women pilots and the military does too and they are much better at spatial conceptualization than I will every be. And yes, I have short term memory issues so I carry big maps pasted to cardboard when I drive by car in an area ...say central Wisconsin...that I am not familiar with. But I love maps and I love having a phone that can find me and tell me where I am and where the thunderstorms are and where THEY are headed. Like ilovtodd, I am into geography.
Pilot's sectional map....now on a glass screen in the cockpit or on an I Pad.
View attachment 5387

3D wall map
View attachment 5388

Modern glass cockpit. Most of the "Steam gages" are now gone.
View attachment 5389

I will be in Wyoming in a few days....Ruriko uses an old iPHONE for navigation when she tours by motorcycle...an iPhone can tell you the fastest route, but I know the most beautiful after touring here 50 years....
View attachment 5390

Here we were in 2018, west of Spearfish, sitting on our bikes under an underpass, watching two super cells on I90 on our Phones. When the time was right, we high tailed it west. A tornado then hit Sprearfish canyone where we were. I do love phones. I hate hail.
View attachment 5391