New Hersh article about Sasha - 2/22 | Golden Skate

New Hersh article about Sasha - 2/22

FreeKatie

On the Ice
thanks for the article....

I think Sasha should stick to not talking to the press until after the LP -- they'll all ask her the same question "You never have 2 clean programs, how do you think that will effect your chances??"

or "You are known for your inconsistency...tell us about that"

or maybe they'll be more blunt..."Sasha you're not going to win... how do you feel about that?"

I also don't think missing today's practice is a big deal -she can rest and avoid the stress of dealing with the media.

Tomorrow she can do the run-through on the ice like she did before the short program to figure out where her jumps go etc.

millie

Medalist
Last night after her short program when Sasha was being interviewed she was so happy. Then the lady that interviewed her brought up how she never had two clean programs together. I agree that Sasha should stay away from the media. On The Today Show from Turino, Katie kept harping on that Sasha won by the skin of her teeth and Matt kept saying but it doesn't matter because she won the short. When she was interviewing Dick Button, instead of talking about Sasha win, she talking about Kimmie and Emily's chances of winning. I wish she get over it and move on.

kyla2

Final Flight
Sasha

they need to leave her the hell alone. What a bunch of Bozos. It's like they are hoping she will fail. I can think of a skating forum they could join if that's what they want. the postings on that particular site are reprehensible and I e-mailed their moderators and told them so.

swannanoa54

On the Ice
One practice is all she missed and this is what is making the news? Good grief. While I could care less for her skating, I certainly think it would behoove her to just avoid the media. They'll start making more of this than there really is. It's one practice for goodness sakes! It's not like she missed being crowned Queen of England or something. And if she's icing her leg because her muscles are sore, better to rest and let them relax. Goodness!

FreeKatie

On the Ice
swannanoa54 said:
One practice is all she missed and this is what is making the news? Good It's one practice for goodness sakes! It's not like she missed being crowned Queen of England or something. ... Goodness!

:laugh:

millie

Medalist
swannanoa54 said:
One practice is all she missed and this is what is making the news? Good grief. While I could care less for her skating, I certainly think it would behoove her to just avoid the media. They'll start making more of this than there really is. It's one practice for goodness sakes! It's not like she missed being crowned Queen of England or something. And if she's icing her leg because her muscles are sore, better to rest and let them relax. Goodness!

I agee with your comments. The way that I look at it, if they don't know their programs by now, it's just as well that they give up. One practice is not going to make a difference.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
millie said:
I agee with your comments. The way that I look at it, if they don't know their programs by now, it's just as well that they give up. One practice is not going to make a difference.

Exactly. That's why it would not have hurt her training to have participated in the media day. Should be muscle memory by now.

swannanoa54

On the Ice
Piel said:
Exactly. That's why it would not have hurt her training to have participated in the media day. Should be muscle memory by now.

And I also agree with you, Piel. Either way, I don't see why missing one day of practice for media day and one day to rest your muscles before the BIG event is going to hurt her at all. Or any of them.

millie

Medalist
Piel said:

Sasha probably didn't participate in the media day because she probably knew they would be asking her the same old question. I agree with you with regards of muscle memory and training today. She probably wanted to stay away from Katie and NBC.:laugh: :laugh:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
By this time, Sasha knows her body and what she needs to do to compete at top form. Rest, sleep, and muscle first aide seem more important then one more practice session. Muscle memory will take over and she'll be fine.....42

One thing Sasha hasn't had since the Fall of '01 in one of the GP events, when she kept trying to do a quad, is a meltdown. There are so many top skaters, including those in the Japanese Powerhouse, who have had major meltdowns, meaning fall after fall and programs with only three or four completed triples. Even '05 World's bronze medalist, Kostner, is known for her serious inconsistency. I'm not dissing any of these skaters; Shizza and Fumie are two of my favorites.

It's just that we now know, through articles and fluff pieces, that all the emphasis on "Sasha, Sasha, Sasha equals mistakes, mistakes, mistakes" did get to her, When I think of Sasha's parents' divorce and her mother's heavy involvement in Sasha leaving Tarasova (though I think Sasha was happy to oblige) and choosing Robin Wagner as her next coach, plus all the harping on Sasha not living up to her potential because of her mistakes, IMO it became a self-fulfilling prophecy.

There are two ways to ensure an athlete will screw up:
1. For figure skaters, have the coach keep telling them, "Don't fall! Don't make a mistake! Don't mess up at all!" This has been studied a lot in sports science in the area of motor learning. As soon as you tell someone not to do something, it's a virtual guarentee that's exactly what he/she will do.
2. Again for figure skaters, tell them they have to be perfect, or harp on their lack of perfection so much that the athletes become obsessed with skating perfect.

Now I hope I haven't jinxed Sasha into her first meltdown in over four years.:laugh:

Yes, my thoughts have the power to fly all the way over to Torino and jinx a skater.:rofl:

Rgirl

P.S. Thanks for the article, NYMKFAN. It cleared up a lot of "OMG! Why didn't Sasha practice?!" questions.

Last edited:
In New York City, it's all about EMILY!!

She came in 7th, I believe but from the headlines and pictures, she's the literal home town girl (Great Neck) and that is what Newyorkers read about. and to boot, she is called, 'the skater who replaced the icon'.:cool:

Joe

nymkfan51

Medalist
I don't know who else might have caught it, but Scott and the others previewed the ladies' LP tonight on the Oly broadcast. Scott mentioned that Galina Cohen mentioned to him last night that Sasha had a sore groin. He stated he didn't know what to make of this ... maybe nothing.

R.D.

Record Breaker
well, she'd better get used to it. Especially if she manages to actually rise to the occasion and win Thursday.

R.D.

Record Breaker
He's right, actually. I agree with him on many things. Besides, history certainly isn't on her side. She's ahead after the short (call it that if you will) and that's not really a good thing for her because I think it will cause her to go conservative in the long. She'll have to do a Sarah to put pressure on Shiz and irina. And if Cohen can't do it, and Shiz does, it'll also put pressure on Irina.

Or...if history chooses to repeat itself, all three of the favorites will falter, and we'll see the performance of a lifetime from one of the other competitors...:rock: