New Iraqi Prime Minister chosen | Golden Skate

New Iraqi Prime Minister chosen

The first prime minister under the interim Iraqi constitution was chosen today. He is Ibrahim al-Jaafari, a Shi'ite representing the conservative Dawa party. The Dawa party long sought (from exile) to depose the secular dictatorship of Saddam Hussein. Their platform explicitly calls for the imposition of sharia (Islamic Law), in the model of the Shi'ite theocracy of Iran.

In the past Dawa has been connected to several terrorist attacks, including trying to blow up the U.S. and French embassies in Kuwait in 1983.

Mr. al-Jaafari has tried to distance himself form such incidents, and has not made any public announcements recently on the question of sharia.

Out of the frying pan?

Mathman

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
One of the reasons Bush I didn't go into Iraq in 1991 was that we didn't know what kind of leader the people would choose. It could be someone worse than Saddam, "worse" meaning more strictly religious. What is laughable about Bush II trying to connect Saddam and Bin Laden is that Bin Laden didn't like Saddam's rather secular country. So we got rid of Saddam. The people have potentially chosen a very conservative religious leader. Yep, it's a mess.

:)

JOHIO2

Medalist
My son is very down about how things are going in Iraq. He's supposed to be coming back to the US in June, and neither of us think that is soon enough. (Keep fingers crossed, knock on wood, make good wishes and throw in a few prayers that he gets home then and in one piece. Are ya listenin' God????)

Guess what I plan on doing for April 15? If you guessed passing out anti-war pamphlets to last minute tax filers, you get a big kiss!