New video of Midori Ito | Golden Skate

New video of Midori Ito

yude

Record Breaker
I found this video in another forum and am watching it over and over again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8u61RBss8s

Midori is 43 years old now. The music is from a Japanese TV drama called "Atsuhime" (aired on NHK and my favorite music all the time btw). SHE IS AMAZING!!

Icey

Record Breaker
Nice to see her skating. What is with that dress? It overwhelms her and is distracting imo.

Krislite

Medalist
Wow! Her skating is still so smooth and fast. Apart from the doubles you almost couldn't tell she's 21 years older than when she skated at the Olympics in Albertville.

LRK

Record Breaker
Thanks for posting this! Love Midori - she's such a joy to watch. :)

mskater93

Record Breaker
:clap: Amazing that she can still execute such a strong double axel at the age of 43.

I agree, I'm not a fan of the dress. But the jumps were solid, she had great speed, and she made attempts to earn a level 1 or 2 on all her elements, including that lovely footwork sequence. http://www.deu-event.de/results/adult2013/Adult13_MastersEliteLadiesIIFreeSkating_FS_Scores.pdf

The sequence will either be no level or level 1 in the adult ranks as it is the ChSeq1 that is required (not StSeq with a level). :) She made a huge effort to make it of great quality and earn +1s and +2s on it, though, and it was definitely a highlight of the program. By all accounts, she was very gracious for the second year in a row at Obi (the FB posts and pics of the Americans and Canadians I know posing with her and some of the posts about being able to die happy having met a legend/idol like Midori were quite funny; one of the best pictures was posted by the bronze medalist as she was hugging Midori at the podium).

She came better prepared than 2012 where she had started training in December or January beforehand and had had some injuries due to overtraining.

She is very sportsmanlike as she had the opportunity to do 4 more elements and didn't (you are allowed 7 jumping passes, 3 with combinations, one 3 jump combination, she did 3 total jumping passes) and she put out a program that was technically consistent points-wise with the other competitors (she beat Betina Keil, the silver medalist, technically by 0.5 points; if she had done her other 4 jumping passes/3 jump combinations, it may have been an ugly "runaway" technically to go along with her wonderful and deserved PCS mark).

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
The sequence will either be no level or level 1 in the adult ranks as it is the ChSeq1 that is required (not StSeq with a level). :) She made a huge effort to make it of great quality and earn +1s and +2s on it, though, and it was definitely a highlight of the program. By all accounts, she was very gracious for the second year in a row at Obi (the FB posts and pics of the Americans and Canadians I know posing with her and some of the posts about being able to die happy having met a legend/idol like Midori were quite funny; one of the best pictures was posted by the bronze medalist as she was hugging Midori at the podium).

She came better prepared than 2012 where she had started training in December or January beforehand and had had some injuries due to overtraining.

She is very sportsmanlike as she had the opportunity to do 4 more elements and didn't (you are allowed 7 jumping passes, 3 with combinations, one 3 jump combination, she did 3 total jumping passes) and she put out a program that was technically consistent points-wise with the other competitors (she beat Betina Keil, the silver medalist, technically by 0.5 points; if she had done her other 4 jumping passes/3 jump combinations, it may have been an ugly "runaway" technically to go along with her wonderful and deserved PCS mark).

Yup... it actually cost her the victory in her previous time at Oberstorf by minimizing her jumping passes, when the gold medalist had a technically clean skate (with 2Z and 2F combos) that maxed out her jumping passes. This year she was certainly more prepared. I would have loved to be in the silver and bronze medalist's skates though, getting to share a podium with Midori Ito.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Her speed diminished a lot, but she was still flying into that 2A.
Forget Carolina, this woman is the fastest lady ever!

skatel80

On the Ice
Wow :clap: Midori Ito is incredible, that 2a was amazing. I cant believe she can still skate like this. Her love for skating is as obvious here as it was in 1988 at the Olympics when she made jaws drop nice to see she is still having the same effect all these years later! did anyone else watch this with a massive smile on their face? :) I sure did!

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I love her speed and flow over the ice, as well as her jumps. Her sit spin was pretty amazing, too. And she still exudes so much joy when she skates.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
This was a very nice performance - good speed, nice 2A, nice presentation. Midori is so very charming and it is wonderful to see her joy and love of skating.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
This was :love: Her passion for this sport is really evident when she skates, and she's incredibly good for being 43! That 2A was fantastic, and the CCoSp could have been a level 3, if it wasn't for the small mistake in the camel spin! Well, done Midori!

mskater93

Record Breaker
This was a very nice performance - good speed, nice 2A, nice presentation. Midori is so very charming and it is wonderful to see her joy and love of skating.

She has also been super awesome with the adult skating community, graciously posing for 1,000,000,000 pictures with everyone. :)

Oh, that is tremendous! What a delight. I can imagine how giddy I would feel if I were an adult skater meeting her. She is such a wonderful ambassador for skating.

deedee1

Record Breaker