New year, new goals | Golden Skate

New year, new goals

Figuringitout

Rinkside
With 2021 fast coming to an end, I thought it would be nice to have a look back at our progress through another difficult year!

The pandemic wrecked havoc on a lot of our lives, and for some countries meant rink closures. My rink was closed to adults for over a year. Yet, despite my rink only opening again this summer, this year has been one of my most successful skating years!

I finally got the courage up to leave my old coach, who put 0 effort into my lessons, and my new coach is amazing! I've made so much progress! My old coach insisted I would never learn an axel since I was an adult, but I landed my first one after a month of lessons with my new coach! My axels still need a lot more finetuning, but have become as consistent as my other jumps. My new coach has also fixed my lutz edge, and re-worked my camel and backspin, and even has me practicing combo spins now! I've also landed a few double sals, although have all been 1/4 UR.

Since I've smashed most of my long term skating goals in just 6 months, I've set myself some new goals for 2022:
1) work on my air position (currently slightly twisted in the air, and dont always get a leg cross).
2) fully rotated double sal, and get it consistent
3) land a double toe!
4) consistent backsit
5) learn a back camel
6) start learning the field moves patterns and maybe even test
7) rotate 2f and 2lz off-ice

What have you all achieved this year, and what are you hoping to achieve in '22?

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
It's always interesting to see how as adults we progress faster in certain areas and learn things in different orders compared to others :)

We had a similar length of closure to you, so I was pleasantly surprised to make progress on these things:
1. New elements: flying camel, double RFI twizzles (my weakest foot/edge), BI loops, various choctaws
2. Improvement: forward camel->sit->backsit->back upright combo, catchfoot camels on both legs, pancake/tuck-behind sit spin, brackets/counters/rockers, double/power back-3s
4. Assessments: passed 3 dances to complete Senior Silver

I guess in part due to natural aptitude and what my coach and I think I need more work on, I've been focusing more lately on spins and skating skills/ice dance, but I hope to make a bit more progress on the jumps next year, so my goals are:
1. 2Lo
2. Collect the full set of double twizzles and loops
2. Pass a couple of Gold dances

Aimee-01

On the Ice
Country
Canada
During this year I had a few coaching changes, but my current coach has helped me improve a lot
This year I have accomplished
1) Landing my 2F and 2Ltz
2 ) Evening out my skills ( FI Twizzles, and loops ) on my left foot
3) Improving greatly in sharing skills
Next year I hope to accomplish
1) Making my 2A more consistent
2) Landing my 3T
3) Getting my 3S from q to fully rotated

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
1) Skate clean programs regularly which requires my second goal
2) Get a triple back and consistent

BunniesSkate

Rinkside
1. Have consistent double jumps through double lutz
2. Do a double axel (probably with the harness)
3. Pass Intermediate freestyle and Novice MIF
4. Get some sort of medal at a competition

MiraiFan

Final Flight
Finish putting my program together.
Get my loop consistent.
Get my flip consistent.
Add waltz/euler/sachow to my program.
Master camel spin.

Arwen17

Final Flight
Well none of my goals will likely be accomplished this year. These are more like 2-3 year goals.

1. Keep progressing on Novice MIF until it's ready to pass.
2. Keep working on axel rotation.
3. Keep working on getting spins and everything else good enough to pass Adult Gold FS.