New York is Rooting for Emily Hughes | Golden Skate

New York is Rooting for Emily Hughes

S

SkateFan4Life

Emily Hughes of Great Neck, Long Island had suddenly become the darling of New York sports. She was interviewed with her sister, 2002 Olympic champion Sarah Hughes at the family home yesterday morning. They told the interviewer that the family had gone out to dinner on Saturday night and had received a phone call at the restaurant from the US Olympic Committee alerting them that there was a “strong possibility” that Michelle Kwan would withdraw from the figure skating competition due to her groin injury. However, the Hughes family was asked to not mention anything about this news to the media until the IOC confirmed that Emily would replace Michelle at the Olympics. They received the official word on Sunday morning that Michelle had withdrawn and that Emily would replace her.

Sarah said of her sister, “Emily is one of the hardest working skaters I’ve ever known. If anyone deserves to compete in the Olympics, it’s her. She was my biggest fan four years ago, and it’s nice that I have the chance to do the same for her.”

Emily said of Michelle, “I have so much admiration for her. She has been such a great champion for so many years, and she’s been a role model for me and for many other skaters. I feel sorry for Michelle, and I hope she recovers quickly. I’m excited about having the chance to compete in the Olympics.”

The entire Hughes family plans to fly to Torino within a day or so.

S

SkateFan4Life

This evening's news had a segment on Emily Hughes, who arrived with her Dad in Torino today. She will have her first practice on Olympic ice tomorrow, and afterwards she will hold her first press conference. Looks as though she will be brought into the spotlight in very short order, and the local news (NYC) will follow her closely throughout the rest of the Olympics.