News about Caroline | Page 3 | Golden Skate

News about Caroline

feraina

Record Breaker
Caroline updated her USFSA bio, I don't know how long ago. I check it regularly, and somehow missed the changes because the photo didn't change, and I figured that the first thing she'd do is to replace that school-girl photo with something more recent. ;)

Anyway, some interesting tidbits from her 2007-8 season notes:

"SP Music: "Spanish Gypsy" by Ray DeTone (choreographed by Tom Dickson); FS Music: "Ave Maria" by Schubert (choreographed by Lori Nichol) ... Costume designer is her mother, Shuguang Zhao.

Goals are to improve the quality and difficulty of her technical content, improve her jump technique, and show more personality and passion in her programs."

That's great! She's going to work on just the things that many of us think she should improve on: jump techniques, harder jumps, and more personality/passion in the choreography. :love::agree::rock:

I'm going to look for mp3's of those pieces right now.

feraina

Record Breaker
Here's a partial mp3 to her SP music, "Spanish Gypsy":
the first part is kinda typical classical guitar stuff, very slow and sparse-noted; the second part is fast, rock music. Strange, but I guess it works for her because it has both lyrical and upbeat parts.

http://cdbaby.com/cd/raydetone3

feraina

Record Breaker
Haha. This is what I get for not keeping track of the Music & Choreography thread more closely. Anyway, someone said there that the Spanish Guitar piece should be her LP instead. I'm glad it wasn't. The slow part is very slow, like two notes a second, everyone would fall asleep if she used more of it. The fast, "rocky" part is fun but monotonous, and would also induce sleep. It's best to just use a small portion of each and play off the contrast. I'm glad it's the SP.

The LP music choice is not as boring as some might think. Yes, it's a bit over-used and it's probably piano+violin again (like both of Caro's programs last year), but at least it has the potential to be passionate and beautiful, and it sounds like the kind of music that Lori Nichol would excel in as a choreographer. I think if Caro can inject and passion and personality into this piece, it could be really wonderful!

bekalc

Record Breaker
Caroline seems cool.. But, I hope the hype will be okay for her. In all honesty, if I were to bet money on a young figure skater it would be Mirai Nagasu quite frankly... Although Mirai doesn't have a triple axel yet or triple/triples.

The reason I'd be beating money on Mirai is the mere fact that Mirai has much better basic skating skills..

As for Yu-na Kim and Mao Asada. Mao and Yu-na were hugely hyped, people were expecting great things from them when they went into Seniors...No one was surprised last year, when Yu-na instantly catapulted to close to the top..

But as for Caroline, I'm not sure she'll be making the same leaps Mao or Yu-na did.