Nordic skating (FIN, SWE, NOR, DEN, ISL) | Page 15 | Golden Skate

Nordic skating (FIN, SWE, NOR, DEN, ISL)

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Valtter has confirmed his incomes. He is already working as a doctor and he and Alina, his wife are coaching together. I think he just would like to make it to worlds one more time. But it is not easy.

Makar is scheduled to compete at Tirnavia Cup next in October and GP Espoo this year.
I didn't mean that he needs shows for the money. Just that shows would be a nice way to keep on skating, expressing himself on the ice, not having to focus on the hard tech.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Watched just the Nice competition's last group. Emmi got 171+ total and worlds TES. I tuink t is up to who can skate the cleanest skates will get the spots to Euros. Fair play, I would say, if just nationals scoring will be fair and his has during last years.

Lyyli

On the Ice
Janna Jyrkinen was interviewed on the radio yesterday. This week has been a fall vacation from school for her and she has used the free time for intensive training. I guess here in Helsinki as she was present in the YLE studio. After Finlandia Trophy she has switched her skates and she was very satisfied with the new ones. Janna had felt much more confident in FT than in Lombardia and now she feels that it is getting for the better. She talked of course about the summer too, how difficult it had been because she grew a lot which made jumping very difficult.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Team Sweden uttagningar Internationella tävlingar i november

• 2-5 november - International Volvo Open Cup – Riga, Lettland - Josefin Taljegård och Ellinor Nordqvist
  • 2-5 november - CS Denis Ten Memorial , Almaty, Kazakstan - NIkolaj Majorov och Milla Reitan Ruud
  • 15-19 november – CS Warsaw Cup, Warszawa , Polen - Gabriel Folkesson, John och Greta Crafoord
  • 16-19 november - NRW Trophy - Dortmund , Tyskland - Casper Johansson, Nina Fredriksson, Lovisa Aav, Elias Sayed , Julia Brovall , Miranda Lundgren, Alexandra Ödman och Josefin Brovall
  • 17-19 november - GP , Esbo, Finland -Andreas Nordebäck
  • 23-26 november – Tallinn Trophy – Tallinn, Estland - Josefin Taljegård , Hugo Bostedt , Jonathan Egyptson, Oliver Praetorius

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Did not see the skate, but saw the results. Valtter Virtanen got 64.49 at Denis Ten memorial, which means he has now minimums for worlds. Interesting to see if Makar Suntsev can do the same. They are quite equal now if look the best scores of the season.
I hope he can. He needs the free tech of 64. Love when there is competition. Weird when we now know Valtter could have competed at Grand Prix Espoo. Finland gave two of their spots away to Andreas(SWE) and was it Arlet(EST)? Or Jimmy? Valtter must have given a clear message to the fed that he stopped doing singles.

Kudos to Valtter!

TT_Fin

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I hope he can. He needs the free tech of 64. Love when there is competition. Weird when we now know Valtter could have competed at Grand Prix Espoo. Finland gave two of their spots away to Andreas(SWE) and was it Arlet(EST)? Or Jimmy? Valtter must have given a clear message to the fed that he stopped doing singles.

Kudos to Valtter!
It was Jimmy Ma who get the open TBD spot. My guess is the fed gave the decision to ISU, because they announced a little bit before Jimmy was listed "Finland did not get another male repsentative, because Valtter Virtanen has turned to pairs and other Finnish male skaters compete at JGP" With that sentence they probably meant the men who are part of national team and age eligible. So I suppose Valtter was asked, but he was concentrating to pairs still on that time. It is ok for me Jimmy got the spot, but I would have been nice to see Valtter again live, too. But in men there is competition now and some years ago there was nobody but Valtter at nationals, now there is competition about all the medals. Competition gives motivation to skaters.

Janna has a disaster SP yesterday at GP but just like last season, she had problems in SPs many times at the beginning of season. But yesterday all the jumps went wrong, hope there is no bigger problems. Even at warm up she looked worried and looked she has not got the jumps. Edit: I saw her at other skaters' ig practice posts at the background, so probably she is ok. She herself has not posted since yesterday.

Last edited:
Country
Norway
I´m really happy for Valtter that he was able to finally take the Worlds min :clap: :clap: It´s quite interesting that he managed to do that in his first competition after a long break and after trying out pairs. It would make you think he has done less training in singles than in other seasons. But maybe that was the key, he probably did not expect to chase for the minimums in this first competition, and was relaxed and just had some fun.

Not only did Valtter make the mins, but Josefin was finally able to get the minimums for the SP in Volvo cup this weekend as well, so she finally has the World mins again. So right now, it seems both Sweden and Finland will have a full team at Worlds, I think. Didn´t the Finnish pair get the mins recently as well? Speaking of Sweden, it´s worth to mention that Milla and Nikolaj placed 4th at Denis Ten Memorial this weekend, and they took another PB again with a total score of 160 points. The start of their partnership has really been a fairytale. It this rate they might even get a spot for GP next season if they keep improving, and a score of 160 seems not unlikely to put them on the top 75 SB list, regardless if they keep improving the score or not.

Daniil Valanov managed to get the JWC mins at Volvo Cup this weekend, he improved his PB with 16 points and scored a total of 144 points and placed 7th overall. Norway hasn´t had a male skater at JWC since 2017 when Sondre participated for the last time in juniors. Daniil is only 14, and has a bright future. I did look into Sondres scores, and he also had his first junior season at 14 with JGP and scored around the same points as Danii at JGP (around 128), but Daniil at this stage has more difficult jumps than Sondre at age 14 (naturally also with the development of the sport). Daniil must have had a crazy growth spurt the last two years, he was tiny in 2021, I think he is still not done so of course his jumps will hopefully get more stable with time. He has a lot of work to do with spins and components, but already his spins has improved at Volvo Cup getting level 4 at some of the spins.

So overall, a great weekend for the Nordics, there is probably more to mention, I did see IIda won the junior ladies event at Volvo cup as well :clap: :clap:

Last edited:
Country
Norway
It was Jimmy Ma who get the open TBD spot. My guess is the fed gave the decision to ISU, because they announced a little bit before Jimmy was listed "Finland did not get another male repsentative, because Valtter Virtanen has turned to pairs and other Finnish male skaters compete at JGP" With that sentence they probably meant the men who are part of national team and age eligible. So I suppose Valtter was asked, but he was concentrating to pairs still on that time. It is ok for me Jimmy got the spot, but I would have been nice to see Valtter again live, too. But in men there is competition now and some years ago there was nobody but Valtter at nationals, now there is competition about all the medals. Competition gives motivation to skaters.

Janna has a disaster SP yesterday at GP but just like last season, she had problems in SPs many times at the beginning of season. But yesterday all the jumps went wrong, hope there is no bigger problems. Even at warm up she looked worried and looked she has not got the jumps. Edit: I saw her at other skaters' ig practice posts at the background, so probably she is ok. She herself has not posted since yesterday.
Her FS was not as bad as the SP, but still a lot of mistakes and her score very far from what she is capable to do. I thought she was finally getting better after the growth spurt she had been dealing with. Is she still growing? Right now, a Euro spot is looking bad for Janna if she is not able to improve her scores more.

I wonder if she will still do GP Espoo after this weekend. I do not mean it in a bad way, but I´m worried she might injure herself and needs to take it easy and rest, also for her mental part because she was tearing up in k&c. The falls she had on the lutzes looked bad. In that case, I think Emmi would be a natural replacement after the recent competition she had. Wasn´t it actually last year Emmi had to WD from GP Espoo because of covid and Janna got her place? Maybe it will be the other way around this year (minus covid), it´s really weird how much things can change in a year.

Last edited:

TT_Fin

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Janna has been interviewed. She said she had a lot of problems in training too, but she wants to show her best at Espoo so at the moment it seems she will be there. Yes, Emmi retired because of covid last season. She is having good season after first disaster skate in Canada.

I stalked Valtter's ig stories. He had written "best FS of the career only after six weeks training". So maybe he was not thinking about the scores and could relax. I wonder if he and Tilda split because M/F has done so good so they realized it is hard to get spots to big competitions even if they could get the Euro's minimums. Or it just did not work. They have worlds minimums and they did it already at their first international competition and did even better at Finlandia Trophy.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I´m really happy for Valtter that he was able to finally take the Worlds min :clap: :clap: It´s quite interesting that he managed to do that in his first competition after a long break and after trying out pairs. It would make you think he has done less training in singles than in other seasons. But maybe that was the key, he probably did not expect to chase for the minimums in this first competition, and was relaxed and just had some fun.

Not only did Valtter make the mins, but Josefin was finally able to get the minimums for the SP in Volvo cup this weekend as well, so she finally has the World mins again. So right now, it seems both Sweden and Finland will have a full team at Worlds, I think. Didn´t the Finnish pair get the mins recently as well? Speaking of Sweden, it´s worth to mention that Milla and Nikolaj placed 4th at Denis Ten Memorial this weekend, and they took another PB again with a total score of 160 points. The start of their partnership has really been a fairytale. It this rate they might even get a spot for GP next season if they keep improving, and a score of 160 seems not unlikely to put them on the top 75 SB list, regardless if they keep improving the score or not.

Daniil Valanov managed to get the JWC mins at Volvo Cup this weekend, he improved his PB with 16 points and scored a total of 144 points and placed 7th overall. Norway hasn´t had a male skater at JWC since 2017 when Sondre participated for the last time in juniors. Daniil is only 14, and has a bright future. I did look into Sondres scores, and he also had his first junior season at 14 with JGP and scored around the same points as Danii at JGP (around 128), but Daniil at this stage has more difficult jumps than Sondre at age 14 (naturally also with the development of the sport). Daniil must have had a crazy growth spurt the last two years, he was tiny in 2021, I think he is still not done so of course his jumps will hopefully get more stable with time. He has a lot of work to do with spins and components, but already his spins has improved at Volvo Cup getting level 4 at some of the spins.

So overall, a great weekend for the Nordics, there is probably more to mention, I did see IIda won the junior ladies event at Volvo cup as well :clap: :clap:
Great summing-up of the successful nordic weekend (y)

Yes Milla and Nikolaj are awesome. LOL, I bet you would have wanted them to be a norwegianfairytale. I don't watch much dance, but to me Nikolaj looks like a born dancer. I mean after not even a year of training he's this good. For how long did Milla do dance? I know she trained at the Luleå summercamps and made friends with Nikolaj there. Was she competing in singles then? Would be interesting to know her history.

I think a lot of young Finnish girls were competing this weekend. Good for them that the federation sends them :)

Also Julia Sylvia Gunnarsdottir (ISL) was 8th at Volvo open. She’s only 18 so I hope she has the motivation and support to continue. She’s like 3 points away for Euro minimum tech in both short and free. I think she is closer to make it for junior worlds. Way to go Julia!

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker

TT_Fin

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Finland's selection for nationals part 2 is hold at next weekend. I will watch only senior's FS at Sunday evening, because I have other things to do this weekend and will watch Cup of China on Saturday if I have time for that. Nella is taking part in. Interesting, she took also part in first one and I she has the spot automatically anyway as a last year's medalist. Maybe she wants to compete before GP. She has not been in many international competitions, but maybe there are much to do in studies.

Edit. In juniors is a dance pair whose names I never have heard before.

Last edited:

TT_Fin

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
There is no stream for selections for nats, (disappointed, because it seems the contract with the internet tv-channel is ended) but I looked at results. Women are still up to come, but in senior men maybe a little perhaps a little unexpectedly Jan Ollikainen has won. Arttu Juusola has had a little bit better TES, but close. Jan has got better PCS. Well, there are many who are looking for medal in national's final. Probably gold and silver will be between Valtter and Makar, but men are men and anything can happen and more than one are candidates for bronze. The scores of the first two in this competition are not high for senior men, 160+, but there was time not so long ago, when this was enough for gold. Maybe Finland will have top men in the future as the competition between national skaters often raises the level. Hoping so.

TT_Fin

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
More surprises from selections. Nella won by two second placements. The surprise, a little one, is Selma Välitalo being 3rd and winning the free (6th in SP). She is not a member of national team, but I think she was there some years ago when she was junior. She was the best Finn at Volvo open Cup a week ago, so she probably is making her way to national team and also a seriously taken competitor from medals. If nobody else does, I will open a thread to nationals competition thread after the skaters who have got a spot are announced. In all other disciplines but junior women and senior women everyone who have taken part to selections or medalled last year get a spot anyway as there are not so many skaters.

TT_Fin

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
As there is only one challenger left and according to list posted here only Finnish woman is Oona who is going there - we will see if they are changes when entries are up - it is quite clear Nella has confirmed her spot to Euros. And as others, also she has also chance to improve her total scores at nats.