Norton AntiVirus - I need help! | Golden Skate

Norton AntiVirus - I need help!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I have spyware dominating my computer, it's a pain just trying to get on here and start a thread.

the virus/spyware won't let me on to their tech support website (or really any part of the website!) and so I can't find the number I can call to get some one to help me figure out what to do!

can someone get it for me and post it here? PLEASE?

TIA!

ETA - the virus/spyware is - spyware.cyberlog-x - it's a BAD one that I can't seem to get rid of!

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
thanks, MM! - and no I can't get to that link... the virus goes into overdrive and pops up a bunch of windows!

Can you go to this one? (It might help to turn off active X, java, and javascript first by going to Tools, Internet Options, Security, and dialing it all the way up.)

http://www.precisesecurity.com/blogs/2006/10/16/spywarecyberlog-x-removal/

This page contains a long discussion by a bunch of people who have had the sam problem. The consensus seems to be that a product called Smitfraud Removal works best.

http://www.precisesecurity.com/blogs/2007/06/20/smitfraud-removal-by-siri/

If you can download it somehow you can run it in safe mode.

Here are two recommendations about how to get rid of it yourelf for free, but they are somewhat complicated.
Being an IT person helps at a time like this. Trust me the steps i have written below have been tested out in 5 PC’s and none has given any sign of problems. This can be removed WITHOUT any extra programs installed on you machines. The method i use is as follows:

1. Disable the confimation from the recycle bin of your computer (right click - properties - uncheck “Display delete confirmation dialog” and then press “ok”)

2. Go and open “C drive - programme files - right click and choose “arrange icon by - Modified”"

3. Look for a folder created recently which will have a name similar to “video plug-in” and open that folder. It should be some where near the bottom right files. (the files are sorted according to the date they were last made changes to)

4. Next right click you task bar to get you task manager or press “ALT + CTRL + DEL” or “ALT + CTRL + DEL” and choose task manager (either one of these will bring up your task manager) and click on “Processers” Tab

5. Place the windows side by side (resize the program files folder to fit the screen with task manager)

6. Look at the folder you had opened for some files (programs) that are similar to the ones running in the task manager. (sorting by name helps)

7. Right click the file name that is similar to the one in the plug-in folder you have opened and click “End process tree” and then very quickly click on the file in the plug-in folder and press delete. REMEMBER to delte the file from the program file quickly or the process will start again in the task manager.

The file should go away without asking you with a yes or no alert box.

8. Do the same with the other two processes. then delete the folder from the program files and delete it from your recycle bin also.

Finished … now when its gone … you can enjoy the web browsing again. Good luck. contact me at gmail if you need anything regarding my method.
Thanks, I read your postings above and put together a total delete for free/do-it-yourself:

1) Start computer in “safe mode” which doesn’t allow the programs to start, find the “icthis.exe” and “icmntr.exe” files in the program directories, and delete them both.
2) Do an Advanced Search on “C drive” - use date created of today (if installed today) include system files, etc. Arrange search results by Date modified. Identify all files that were created by the installation (should all be within one minute (I deleted all files created at 5:57 p.m., for example). Highlight them all, don’t worry about prefetch files they can be deleted also, and delete all these files.
3) The only file that won’t delete is ictmdl.dll in c:\program files (the add on in internet explorer, hmm maybe it would if I didn’t have internet explorer open at the time) but skip this one for now
4) Run regedit (i.e. open Registry Editor) and delete the Video Add-on folder under Computer/../Software
5) Restart computer in “safe mode” which didn’t allow the programs to start, find the ictmdl.dll in c:\program files and delete it.

Done. This works. All removed for free/do-it-yourself.