Official List Of Gp Participants!! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Official List Of Gp Participants!!

discoduck

On the Ice
Skate America looks really good. Personally I'm excited about seeing Sergei Dobrin! :rock: I know he's not all that and a bag of chips but I love him! :)

Sandra_persch

On the Ice
ooh. that was the magic shrooms talking.

what do you think about china's delegation for the ladies??
2 events for each?? hmm.

It seems to be that the Chinese Federation has done some very successful politics before the draw :rock: Just look at where the lower ranked french and chinese dance teams are invited

its ladies ranked (25, 39 and 43) got 2
its men ranked (25, 28) got 2, (49 & 63) got 1
its pairs (3, 4, 28) got 2
its dance pairs (47 & 59) got 2

German fed on the other hand seems to have done pretty badly :sheesh: I would have thought that the dance teams ranked 39, 52 & 53 would have had a shot for 1 assignment.

But it looks like the reduction from 12 to 10 dance teams has had a pretty bad effect. Just look at Hoffmanm / Elek who are ranked 15th and the Russian pair on 24, with one only each.

netnuts

Match Penalty
It seems to be that the Chinese Federation has done some very successful politics before the draw :rock: Just look at where the lower ranked french and chinese dance teams are invited

its ladies ranked (25, 39 and 43) got 2
its men ranked (25, 28) got 2, (49 & 63) got 1
its pairs (3, 4, 28) got 2
its dance pairs (47 & 59) got 2

As a host country, they always have a bit advantage, otherwise, why do they bother to host such an expensive event? All three Chinese ladies, pairs and two dance pairs got two events in the past season.

BTW, which site did you check the world rankings? I checked the ISU site, it's not the same as you listed. For example, Binxu shu and Yan Liu ranked 19th, and 21st on ISU site.

Last edited:

feraina

Record Breaker
I'm so excited about the SA ladiese line-up! Caroline, Kimmie, Miki, Emily, plus Elene and Mai who are both a pleasure to watch. Mouth-watering, really. I am definitely going, it's only two hours' drive from my house. :clap:

As for as federations being powerful, it seems that all the bargaining power lie with the countries that host GP events. That's bad news for the Germans.

In terms of inviting your lesser entries in your own GP to maximize GP exposure for the most athletes in your own federation, I think USFSA seemed to be the only ones not understanding this strategy! Kimmie, Emily, and Caroline all at SA. Maybe it's because they want to really convince NBC that this is a winning media ticket and so packed SA with all its best athletes, at the detriment of their chances of making it to the GPf, and other skaters like Katy failing to get any GP assignments. Clearly they see their future with NBC and not ABC/ESPN (broadcasting other GP's and GP Final).

But the American girls got lucky, they could've gotten Mao or Yu-na, but only got Miki, whom both Caroline and Kimmie have a chance of beating with clean programs including 3/3's. Rumors have it that Caroline is getting her 3/3 clean in practices -- anyone got more reliable info on that? I think she has the potential to beat the last two world champions with solid programs containing 3/3's! How would that do as a senior debut for a 14-year-old? That'll shut up the nay-sayers for a while (on the other hand, if she screws it up, that'll just add fuel to all who thought she's being overhyped; please don't screw it up, please don't screw it up...) I can't wait to see SA! :yes:

netnuts

Match Penalty
How did the USA get 3 participants in SC and CoC?? Anyone know this?

I don't think it's against the rule, is it? I don't think it's actually a random or even semi-random 'draw' for these GP events. The host countries must have had some negotiations among them beforehand.

feraina

Record Breaker
How did the USA get 3 participants in SC and CoC?? Anyone know this?

I see I'm not the only one preoccupied with the ladies' entries here. :)

I have no idea, but maybe USFSA told the others, look, we'll put all of our strongest skaters in our own GP and commit GPF-strategizing suicide, but in return, can you please take on some of our lower ranked skaters in your GP's, thanks ever so much. ;)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Nice to finally see the assignments.

SA and NHK are the strongest events (ladies-wise) IMO, followed by COC and SC. For a change TEB is one of the weaker events (even though you have Mao vs. Kimmie, that's about it) and COR has some star power.

I like the way SA looks. This could be an interesting competition. Too bad only 2 hours will be on TV, but- at least it's live!

There are mini-rivalries at all events, it seems: at SA Meissner has a chance to best the current World champ; SC seems to be pretty much at Mao's mercy; Kim vs. Kostner in China: Asada/Meissner at TEB; looks like Kim shouldn't have much trouble at COR; Ando/Kostner at NHK.

OK, maybe not all events :p

Notes: - Alyssa's got two pretty tough events. I predict no Final for her this year (and no medal). - Kimmie's never been to the Final, but this year is her best chance. Both of her events are winnable if she does her best. - Hughes got both SA and SC, both within easy access of Harvard. She must have had a say in the draw for this to happen. - Mao Asada's got two events that should be pretty easy for her- one is a cinch, the other she should get at least 2nd.

feraina

Record Breaker
I'm a little surprised that Yu-na Kim didn't get either Canada, where she trains, or France, where she won last year. Maybe another example of a GP-less federation being powerless? On the other hand, she doesn't have too tough of assignments, and plus both Russian and China are close to Korea so that she can go and visit family/friends.

R.D.

Record Breaker
As for the USFS packing SA with their best, that had more to do with making the comp. look appealing on TV and, more importantly, boosting attendance to the event than giving their skaters the best shot at the GPF. I think this is actually a smart move on their part given the situation of skating here in the US (falling off the map quickly except the Oly's).

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Where is Mirai Nagasu and Rachael Flatt?
Nagasu, Flatt and Juliana Cannarozzo will be competing on the JGP -- see:
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showpost.php?p=248763&postcount=9

See also this blog by Phil Hersh about Mirai Nagasu with a quote from her coach about stayng junior internationally this season:
http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/sports_globetrotting/2007/06/waiting_to_be_a.html

U.S. have 7 different ladies with 2 GPs apiece (that's 14 out of 72 total slots available). Hopefully Danielle Kahle, Katy Taylor, and Christine Zukowski will each receive a Senior 'B' assignment.

Last edited:

all that

Final Flight
The dance is exciting too. Surprised to see Belbin and Agosto so early.

I have a feeling that B&A will be the team to beat this year. They both (Tanith especially) seemed upset that they were playing catch-up all last season, so I'll bet they want to come roaring out of the gates this season to make up for that. Going to Skate America makes sense for them when you look at it that way -- it's a way to establish their dominance early.

netnuts

Match Penalty
After reviewing the roster, I have to say that Chinese and U.S. federations are most successful in getting their skaters on the list.

Lots of U.S. ladies. China got all their three pairs on the roster, and reserved another slot for an up-and-comer pair. I don't even know they have any at the moment. All three Chinese ladies got two, and they also reserved another slot.

flying camel

Medalist
U.S. have 7 different ladies with 2 GPs apiece (that's 14 out of 72 total slots available). Hopefully Danielle Kahle, Katy Taylor, and Christine Zukowski will each receive a Senior 'B' assignment.[/QUOTE]

Sylvia what is considered a senior B assignment?
Is there anyway one of them could go to COR. Bebe is the only one going?

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Sylvia what is considered a senior B assignment?
It is my understanding that the Senior B competitions currently under consideration for U.S. skaters are:
Ondrej Nepala, Sept. 22-24, Bratislava, Slovakia
Nebelhorn Trophy, Sept. 27-29, Oberstdorf, Germany
Finlandia Trophy, Oct. 12-14, Vantaa, Finland
Golden Spin, Nov. 8-11, Zagreb, Croatia

Last year, Megan Williams-Stewart and Jordan Miller (Nepala), Bebe Liang, Katy Taylor and Parker Pennington (Nebelhorn) Jeremy Abbott (Finlandia), and Danielle Kahle (Vienna Cup) were the singles skaters who medalled in the 'B' events. Taylor and Liang already had 2 Sr. GP assignments when they were assigned to Nebelhorn (perhaps Caroline Zhang and others may get a Senior B "warm-up" comp. as well?). Castile/Okolski won the pairs gold at Nebelhorn but did not have the opportunity to compete on the Sr. GP. At least a Senior B is better than nothing...

Last edited:
I would prefer all the Ladies on tape rather than just 4 shared with Dance. I enjoy looking at the whole field. If it is true they will be shown on NetSkate, I'm ok with NBC deciding whom they will be showing Live..

Sylvia - Why is USA getting more than 2 outside of SA?

Joe