On a "Final Note" from Debbi Wilkes | Golden Skate

On a "Final Note" from Debbi Wilkes

K

KwanFan1212

Re: On a "Final Note" from Debbi Wilkes

Thanx for posting that article Lad.

And sorry Debbie, but I came into *this* season optimistic about changes in the ISU and I am leaving it more disgruntled than ever. :eek: I learned my lesson and I won't be coming into the next skating season with ANY optimism unless the ISU cleans house or the WSF takes over. Just my two cents....:(

S

Show 42

A thought-provoking article.......thanks Lad......42

O

Ogre Mage

Debbi Wilkes

Intersting that she cautiously support the new scoring system. Perhaps there is hope for it. Thank god we will be rid of the sekret computer!!!

L

Linny

But she's got the facts confused

Debbi indicates that secrecy will not be a part of the new total points judging system. Strangely enough, the ISU news reports are that anonomity would continue. Which is correct?
Linny

R

rgirl181

I had the same question, Linny. In the article Wilkes says, <em>"With the proposed total points system, secrecy in judging will not be a factor." I get what she is trying to imply, but secrecy was not supposed to be a factor in the interim system either. Also, later she writes, <em>"A new scoring system, even one heartily endorsed by those who use it, cannot and will not cure all the sport’s ills. Quite simply, with no courage to demand and expect fair and principled behavior, the ISU has concentrated on only one half of the equati</em></em> How can one evaluate if judges are conducting themselves with <em>"fair and principled behavior"</em> if they are anonymous?

OTOH, I would like to know more about the points system and whether or not it is anonymous. Anybody have a good link(s) to one or more reliable sources?

Wilkes seems to be saying two things: Have an open mind and don't believe everything you hear/read. Of course one would be a fool not to agree with the latter. But I think past behavior of officials is relevant and while of course I'm hoping the points system, which I and apparently many members of the ISU thought was supposed to be just a proposal rather than the new system, is good for the sport, I have my doubts if the judging remains anonymous. Ultimately I will have to wait and see how things play out over next season.

But an interesting article. Thanks, Lad. My favorite quote:
<em>"There is so much trashing going on out there, even by people whose opinion I trust, I feel like I’m doing a throw triple loop with my guards on!"</em>
Rgirl