On ice vs off ice boots | Golden Skate

On ice vs off ice boots

chogobi

Spectator
Hello!
I'm an adult figure skater (47kg 103lb) learning single jumps. I used to have a pair of Jackson Mystique that lasted me only like half a year, and it did not fit the shape of my feet, making it really sore in 30 minutes of skating in them. I went to the pro shop for a new pair of skates, and they suggested me the Edea Ice Fly. I was originally looking for a lower model like the Chorus, but they told me that if I buy it, then I'll probably only last a few years in them. I've been wearing the Ice Fly for an year now, and I absolutely love it. The boot fits perfectly, and I never felt pain in them. I also like the stiffness and support it provides especially when I'm jumping, and I honestly never really felt that I was over-booted. However, since the pandemic, all of the ice rinks around me closed down, and I started looking at inline skates recently because I just miss skating sooo much!

The problem is, I don't know which boot to buy. I'm thinking of buying the Snow White Frames, but I don't feel comfortable financially buying another pair of Ice Fly. When I purchased my first pair of Ice Fly, I had financial support from my parents, but now I'm all on my own. So, I was looking at Edea Overture or Chorus since they are about $250-300 cheaper than the Ice Fly+Snow White combination. I'm planning to practice my spins, waltz and single jumps, and some footwork in them, and I think I'm going to practice about 2-4 hours every week. I saw somewhere that you should go for the same model or stiffer boots for inline skating, and I was curious how true this is. Also, is the feel very different between the Ice Fly and the Overture/Chorus? I did my boot fitting in my hometown, and the pro shop near my current residence does not carry Edea boots, so I can't do a fitting of the other models.

Technically, I CAN pay for an Ice Fly+Snow White combination, but I would like to save some bucks if it is truly unnecessary to buy another Ice Fly.

Ameliaskates

Rinkside
I am about 5kg heavier than you and got all my singles up to lutz/axel prep in an edea overture. My jumps aren't small either. Imo your fitter really overbooted you given your weight and skill level, but that's a conversation for another day. You 100% will be fine in an overture or chorus for inline skating. You might even find you prefer these boots as they are more to your level :)

chogobi

Spectator
I am about 5kg heavier than you and got all my singles up to lutz/axel prep in an edea overture. My jumps aren't small either. Imo your fitter really overbooted you given your weight and skill level, but that's a conversation for another day. You 100% will be fine in an overture or chorus for inline skating. You might even find you prefer these boots as they are more to your level :)
Thank you so much for your insight! I'll def be looking into the Overture!

But yeah I also thought that I was being overbooted because I wasn't even considering the Ice Fly when I was going for a fitting. I later found out that this was a rather common practice(?) in my home country, and most adults learning singles were fitted with Ice Flys as long as they could afford it. Also, my coach didn't say anything about my boot, so 🤷‍♀️ haha

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello!
I'm an adult figure skater (47kg 103lb) learning single jumps. I used to have a pair of Jackson Mystique that lasted me only like half a year, and it did not fit the shape of my feet, making it really sore in 30 minutes of skating in them. I went to the pro shop for a new pair of skates, and they suggested me the Edea Ice Fly. I was originally looking for a lower model like the Chorus, but they told me that if I buy it, then I'll probably only last a few years in them. I've been wearing the Ice Fly for an year now, and I absolutely love it. The boot fits perfectly, and I never felt pain in them. I also like the stiffness and support it provides especially when I'm jumping, and I honestly never really felt that I was over-booted. However, since the pandemic, all of the ice rinks around me closed down, and I started looking at inline skates recently because I just miss skating sooo much!

The problem is, I don't know which boot to buy. I'm thinking of buying the Snow White Frames, but I don't feel comfortable financially buying another pair of Ice Fly. When I purchased my first pair of Ice Fly, I had financial support from my parents, but now I'm all on my own. So, I was looking at Edea Overture or Chorus since they are about $250-300 cheaper than the Ice Fly+Snow White combination. I'm planning to practice my spins, waltz and single jumps, and some footwork in them, and I think I'm going to practice about 2-4 hours every week. I saw somewhere that you should go for the same model or stiffer boots for inline skating, and I was curious how true this is. Also, is the feel very different between the Ice Fly and the Overture/Chorus? I did my boot fitting in my hometown, and the pro shop near my current residence does not carry Edea boots, so I can't do a fitting of the other models.

Technically, I CAN pay for an Ice Fly+Snow White combination, but I would like to save some bucks if it is truly unnecessary to buy another Ice Fly.
You should have never been in an ice fly to begin with, it's too stiff and high level for you, and your pro shop scammed you into getting one. 2 Hours a week doing your skills doesn't require ice fly and they aren't going to last you a few years nor is that an okay thing to tell you or a reason to suggest those boots to you by said fitter.

You should have been in a lower level boot if edea was the brand that truly fit you better than any of the others. Which I'm starting to wonder if they did because of the boots they shoved you in. And your coach doesn't seem like they give two cents what you have on your feet so I wouldn't count on them as a source.

If edea truly is the brand for you, then you need to get a lower boot for your off ice set up and then stick with that same boot for on ice.