Advise on new Blades and Boots Teenager | Golden Skate

Advise on new Blades and Boots Teenager

SK4T3

Rinkside
Female, 166CM, 53KG.

Semi-High-Arch; Egyptian feet.

All Single Jumps; starting for double Salchow.
Training 100+hours a year.
Figure skating for 2 years; before aggressive inline skater (both recreational)

We have a respected and trustful relationship with a great fitter / blade sharpener; specialized in Figure Skating.

Gear at the moment is EDEA Overture 275 with Rotation Blade 10 1/3 Age 24Months. After a small stretch of the boot near the Arch (inside foot) near the sticking out bone (think it's the navicular bone) she is extremely keen / satisfied with this setup; but the blades break down fast.

After the last sharpening; new EDEA laces and EDEA impact soles were placed with much more satisfaction than before.

Before upcoming summer we have a new fitting/measurement planned; in my opinion we have 3 options:
  • Keep the EDEA Overtures and put some John Wilson Coronation Ace Classics underneath (they still have their stiffness)
  • Buy Some EDEA Chorus (as an upgrade) with blades as mentioned above.
  • Buy Some Risport RF3 Pro (as an upgrade) with blades as mentioned above.
Old insoles:
t

Please Advice! (and Thank you!)

I am less knowledgeable than many of the people on this forum, but there are a few things that I feel like I can respond to.

On the Edea website, they have this picture of what the insoles should look like if sized correctly:

Suolette-YES-NO.jpg

The gap between the toes and the front of the insole in your picture isn't as dramatic as in Edea's "no" picture, but you might want to show the insoles to the fitter and see if they think sizing down would be a good idea.

Since the skater is a teenager working on doubles, I'm pretty sure an upgrade from the Overtures would be warranted, but I'll let the experts tell you specifics. Edea and Risport aren't really made for the same kind of foot, though, so keep that in mind. But Coronation Ace traditional blades are great.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Female, 166CM, 53KG.

We have a respected and trustful relationship with a great fitter / blade sharpener; specialized in Figure Skating.

Gear at the moment is EDEA Overture 275 with Rotation Blade 10 1/3 Age 24Months. After a small stretch of the boot near the Arch (inside foot) near the sticking out bone (think it's the navicular bone) she is extremely keen / satisfied with this setup; but the blades break down fast.

After the last sharpening; new EDEA laces and EDEA impact soles were placed with much more satisfaction than before.

Before upcoming summer we have a new fitting/measurement planned; in my opinion we have 3 options:
  • Keep the EDEA Overtures and put some John Wilson Coronation Ace Classics underneath (they still have their stiffness)
Old insoles:
t

Quick bit of advice as I prepare to head out the door -- Risports are better for high arches than Edeas. I have excessively high arches, and Egyptian feet so slanted down the toes that the top of the baby toe is below the base of the big toe in the lineup. I'm 163 cm and 50 kg, so I have thin feet. I wear the Risport RF1 model and I've heard the RF3 is looser in the ankle, which may not be right for your skater's thin ankles, although their lining is super-soft and heat moulding could help. I'll find that out this afternoon myself as I'm going to try on the less stiff models of Risports (RF3 and Royal Pro) to use for roller dance where I need more flexibility in the boot, whereas I use the stiffest RF1s for pairs skating. An experiment about to happen :)!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Female, 166CM, 53KG.

Old insoles:
t

With the high arches, I'd look at Risport for her. Now, if she likes the loose ankles of the Edea style, the look at Royal Pro for her. If not, then RF3 Pro which fits more traditional in the ankles. You could go to Coronation Ace traditional blades, but since she's working on double sals now you could seriously look at a higher blade if you wanted. And if you give me more info on her (more a jumper or spinner?) and so on I could suggest a higher blade for her. Good luck! :)
Quick bit of advice as I prepare to head out the door -- Risports are better for high arches than Edeas. I have excessively high arches, and Egyptian feet so slanted down the toes that the top of the baby toe is below the base of the big toe in the lineup. I'm 163 cm and 50 kg, so I have thin feet. I wear the Risport RF1 model and I've heard the RF3 is looser in the ankle, which may not be right for your skater's thin ankles, although their lining is super-soft and heat moulding could help. I'll find that out this afternoon myself as I'm going to try on the less stiff models of Risports (RF3 and Royal Pro) to use for roller dance where I need more flexibility in the boot, whereas I use the stiffest RF1s for pairs skating. An experiment about to happen :)!
You've got the boots mixed up. Royal Pro fits more like Edea loose in ankles, not RF3.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
With the high arches, I'd look at Risport for her. Now, if she likes the loose ankles of the Edea style, the look at Royal Pro for her. If not, then RF3 Pro which fits more traditional in the ankles. You could go to Coronation Ace traditional blades, but since she's working on double sals now you could seriously look at a higher blade if you wanted. And if you give me more info on her (more a jumper or spinner?) and so on I could suggest a higher blade for her. Good luck! :)

You've got the boots mixed up. Royal Pro fits more like Edea loose in ankles, not RF3.
Oops. My brain knew that, but my typing fingers didn't :slink:

SK4T3

Rinkside
On the Edea website, they have this picture of what the insoles should look like if sized correctly:

Suolette-YES-NO.jpg

The gap between the toes and the front of the insole in your picture isn't as dramatic as in Edea's "no" picture, but you might want to show the insoles to the fitter and see if they think sizing down would be a good idea.

Since the skater is a teenager working on doubles, I'm pretty sure an upgrade from the Overtures would be warranted, but I'll let the experts tell you specifics. Edea and Risport aren't really made for the same kind of foot, though, so keep that in mind. But Coronation Ace traditional blades are great.
Thank you all for your answers; I was familiar with the EDEA Picture; that's the reason I kept the old insoles and uploaded a picture of it; ofcourse we will show it to the fitter. I have brand new EDEA Overture 270 at home (not punched) from another Familymember; will ask her to try them (on).

I'm curious about the higher blade you will suggest; She is a Jumper.

Ofcourse I will make use of the profession of the fitter; but it's easier to have technical information and your advice/experiences ready before fitting. Would like to have a Shortlist so boots and blades are available in correct size(s).

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thank you all for your answers; I was familiar with the EDEA Picture; that's the reason I kept the old insoles and uploaded a picture of it; ofcourse we will show it to the fitter. I have brand new EDEA Overture 270 at home (not punched) from another Familymember; will ask her to try them (on).

I'm curious about the higher blade you will suggest; She is a Jumper.

Ofcourse I will make use of the profession of the fitter; but it's easier to have technical information and your advice/experiences ready before fitting. Would like to have a Shortlist so boots and blades are available in correct size(s).
If she's a jumper, my first suggestion would be JW Pattern 99, which is what I wear. Tell her not to be afraid of the large toepick, it helps toe spot on jumps. It's a 8ft rocker and sits low to the ice which is great with jump control.

Now, if she prefers a 7ft rocker instead, my first choice would be MK Phantom, which also has a great large pick for toe spotting in jumps. It also is tapered and side-honed blade (so that would possibly take some adjusting) but it teamed with the 7ft radius should help with spins, edges and turns.

Third choice would be MK Gold Star, it would help greatly with improvement in spins, it's also side-honed and tapered. The 2nd radius on it leads to heel lift which would also help her spinning.

I have experience at some point wearing most of them to compete, Gold Star I've tested. BTW in suggesting these blades I'm discussing and recommend the traditional versions, not revs or lites.

Good luck, if you need further help, feel free to ask or PM me.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
As she's still using Rotation blades, I wonder if moving up too far in quality might be a bit too much of a shock to the system? I'd suggest going to Coronation Ace or MK Pro this time and moving up again when she next needs new blades, if you and she feel that another change is warranted. A skater who had been on Rotation for a year or so tried my Phantoms and scared herself witless at the slickness and speed of them, never mind the toepicks.

SK4T3

Rinkside
@Ic3Rabbit
MK Gold Star and JW Pattern 99 are not available at the moment (where I live).

MK Phantom is widely Available; but one of the most expensive blades.

Think @WednesdayMarch has a point about a too big upgrade if the JW Coronation Ace are "okay" for her level ATM.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
@Ic3Rabbit
MK Gold Star and JW Pattern 99 are not available at the moment (where I live).

MK Phantom is widely Available; but one of the most expensive blades.

Think @WednesdayMarch has a point about a too big upgrade if the JW Coronation Ace are "okay" for her level ATM.
Then take their advice if that's what you feel is right for you. I gave my insight and am leaving it at that.

SK4T3

Rinkside
Thank you all for great advice!

Result:

We did a "Blind" fitting with our Trustful Fitter:

RF3Pro was to loose at the feet; to tight at the ankles (painful)

Chorus was a perfect fit!

Sizing down to a 270 was the best feeling/choice; and therefore also sized down to 10" Coronation Ace traditional blades.

First 4h of training were Excellent; tempmounted fully straight (no over- or under pronation) so went for a full mount.
ATM no Molding necessary!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thank you all for great advice!

Result:

We did a "Blind" fitting with our Trustful Fitter:

RF3Pro was to loose at the feet; to tight at the ankles (painful)

Chorus was a perfect fit!

Sizing down to a 270 was the best feeling/choice; and therefore also sized down to 10" Coronation Ace traditional blades.

First 4h of training were Excellent; tempmounted fully straight (no over- or under pronation) so went for a full mount.
ATM no Molding necessary!
Next time if she likes the loose fitting ankle, try Risport Royal Pro it fits more like Edea would be great for her arches.

I'm glad that she found something that works for her! :)