Orser on Coaching Yuzuru & Javier to OG 2018 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Orser on Coaching Yuzuru & Javier to OG 2018

Spinning

On the Ice
Top male skaters are pushing one another with respect and admiration. The ice shows in Japan seems to bond them in a good way. Hope all of them keep their health intact for the next 4 years. Quads are brutal!

As of BO, can't wait to see his work Cha. The kid has so much potential.

fashas2ace

Spectator
I don't think Yuzu would deny that Nathan had an effect on his decisions and what he did to win the OGM, but he has also said time and time again that it's Javi, it's Boyang, it's Shoma AND all the amazing figure skaters competing with him that has inspired him to improve himself and push the sport into new territories. Making it only about Nathan as if he's the only one worthy of competing against Yuzu is very disrespectful to all the amazing skaters out there pushing the sport forward.

As for the 4lz, it's pretty obvious that Yuzu's biggest motivation for the 4Lz is Boyang. I think it's great that Yuzu and Javi (and probably many others, but this video was about Yuzu and Javi) were able to channel their competitive drive into both friendship and betterment of themselves and the sport as a whole.

Danny T

Medalist
Top male skaters are pushing one another with respect and admiration. The ice shows in Japan seems to bond them in a good way. Hope all of them keep their health intact for the next 4 years. Quads are brutal!

As of BO, can't wait to see his work Cha. The kid has so much potential.

Agree about Jun-hwan. I enjoyed his performance at the Olympics, and it's a shame he's not at Worlds. I mean, 3 (?) clean skates in front of Olympics home crowd is impressive as hell.

Actually, to think of it, there's not a single skater under Cricket Club that I really dislike right now, and I think in the past too. It's great work that Brian and the team produce. But they gotta stop with the Carmen though :palmf: (somebody on Twitter suggested they got discount for Carmen lmao) I swear to God if next season Yuzuru decides to skate to Carmen ... :dev2:

Sportfan

Match Penalty
I don't think Yuzu would deny that Nathan had an effect on his decisions and what he did to win the OGM, but he has also said time and time again that it's Javi, it's Boyang, it's Shoma AND all the amazing figure skaters competing with him that has inspired him to improve himself and push the sport into new territories. Making it only about Nathan as if he's the only one worthy of competing against Yuzu is very disrespectful to all the amazing skaters out there pushing the sport forward.

As for the 4lz, it's pretty obvious that Yuzu's biggest motivation for the 4Lz is Boyang. I think it's great that Yuzu and Javi (and probably many others, but this video was about Yuzu and Javi) were able to channel their competitive drive into both friendship and betterment of themselves and the sport as a whole.

"What he did to win the OGM" what does that mean? :rolleye:
Yuzuru's 3lz got "instable" in 2014/15 season- bc there he already practiced the 4LZ and it messed up his technique.

Spinning

On the Ice
Agree about Jun-hwan. I enjoyed his performance at the Olympics, and it's a shame he's not at Worlds. I mean, 3 (?) clean skates in front of Olympics home crowd is impressive as hell.

Actually, to think of it, there's not a single skater under Cricket Club that I really dislike right now, and I think in the past too. It's great work that Brian and the team produce. But they gotta stop with the Carmen though :palmf: (somebody on Twitter suggested they got discount for Carmen lmao) I swear to God if next season Yuzuru decides to skate to Carmen ... :dev2:

Noooo don't jinx it! I had a nightmare the other day involving Wakaba Carmen programme. If the rumour to be true, I don't want Wakababy to be the victim of our curses.

Cha missing Worlds might be gift in disguise for his body. I remember his struggle with injuries at the beginning of the season. So taking sometime off might be good in a long run.

Sportfan

Match Penalty
On the 4Lutz thingy, I think Yuzuru started thinking of doing it after Boyang Jin did. Boyang was the 1st to do it in competition. I recall Yuzuru mentioning it during one of the post competition interviews.
Until Yuzuru is dubbed president of BoyangJin fan club by Yuzu fans cos of his admiration of Boyang's 4 Lutz

Shoma was the 1st to land 4 Flip which motivated him. Nathan was the 1st to land many quads in a program category.
And of course that 13 yr old kid at TCC who could already land quads

Shoma never landed a rotated 4Flip :rolleye:

And as i said before, Yuzuru was practicing the 4Lz since the 2014/15 season. The proof is his instable 3LZ that happened at that time.

WineHerUp

On the Ice

:points:

One of the reasons why I adore Yuzuru so much as an athlete is his ability to recognize and appreciate what his competitors are bringing to the table. Despite being the most complete skater under the IJS, he still makes it a point to give credit where credit is due and praise skaters for their unique qualities. I would also like to add Patrick to the list of skaters who've inspired Yuzuru;).

Danny T

Medalist
Noooo don't jinx it! I had a nightmare the other day involving Wakaba Carmen programme. If the rumour to be true, I don't want Wakababy to be the victim of our curses.

Cha missing Worlds might be gift in disguise for his body. I remember his struggle with injuries at the beginning of the season. So taking sometime off might be good in a long run.

:slink:

Honestly though, having not one but two skaters to Carmen and listening to it for the entire season + practice. True mental toughness. :palmf:

eaglehelang

Final Flight

On Cha JW, Orser did mention its the Korea Fed's decision not to send Cha to Worlds. They signed him up for Junior Worlds, cha withdrew giving injuries as reason.
Perhaps Korea Fed tot Cha is still a young kid at 16, let him do Juniors 1st.

yude

Record Breaker

One of the reasons why I adore Yuzuru so much as an athlete is his ability to recognize and appreciate what his competitors are bringing to the table. Despite being the most complete skater under the IJS, he still makes it a point to give credit where credit is due and praise skaters for their unique qualities. I would also like to add Patrick to the list of skaters who've inspired Yuzuru;).

I would like to add Jason, too :) I remember Jason's SP motivated Yuzuru because his performance showed high qualities on many aspects. I really like the fact that he loves to watch other skaters' performances including other disciplines, I hope we're going to hear his commentary some day.

Danibellerika

Medalist
On the 4Lutz thingy, I think Yuzuru started thinking of doing it after Boyang Jin did. Boyang was the 1st to do it in competition. I recall Yuzuru mentioning it during one of the post competition interviews.
Until Yuzuru is dubbed president of BoyangJin fan club by Yuzu fans cos of his admiration of Boyang's 4 Lutz

Shoma was the 1st to land 4 Flip which motivated him. Nathan was the 1st to land many quads in a program category.
And of course that 13 yr old kid at TCC who could already land quads

Boyang wasn't the first to do it but the first to do it in combination in competition. But also to Boyang's credit, he's who to thank for Yuzu choosing to make Chopin more difficult with two quads in a short program. I don't think he skated Chopin clean once when he only had one quad, but after he added two world record after world record after world record was the result.

sun110

Final Flight

This is so true. And he actually draws energy from other competitors' success and improvement. He stated not only once that he wants everyone to skate clean and he wins it in the end, and that to him, is the victory he really wants. I think his competitive nature kept pushing him to improve and advance.

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
Just a Briand appreciation post, my favorite photo of him in Japan's uniforms :luv17: (I wonder how old he is...almost the same as Brian?)

https://twitter.com/reabe_/status/975218359900893185

He was born on 22 Nov 1962 He is married and has kids. According to Brian's autobiography they are friends since junior years and Brian was the best man at Briand's wedding. BO shares couple of very funny stories about him and Briand in that book :biggrin:

Danny T

Medalist
He was born on 22 Nov 1962 He is married and has kids. According to Brian's autobiography they are friends since junior years and Brian was the best man at Briand's wedding. BO shares couple of very funny stories about him and Briand in that book :biggrin:

Seems like the coaching team at TCC are really great friends, not just colleagues. Tracy Wilson was with Brian in '88 and her recount of what happened then (in Javi's docu) was very touching.

yude

Record Breaker

Thank you very much for your information :thank: So he must be around the same age as Yuzuru's parents (or might be a little bit older?). It's great to hear they are very close as friends. I'll go and check Brian's book :hap93:

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Thank you. So they are able to explain BV or level on each element without seeing the score sheet or rule book, I really like to see other skaters doing it because I like when Yuzuru does it :)

I don't think that's true of all skaters. I think they're all familiar with the numbers, but don't necessarily have absolutely everything memorized. At least that's my impression from comments made by some skaters, and also people I know who've skated internationally. I think Yuzuru takes it a bit further than most. Meagan Duhamel is the same. She always knows all the numbers.
On Cha JW, Orser did mention its the Korea Fed's decision not to send Cha to Worlds. They signed him up for Junior Worlds, cha withdrew giving injuries as reason.
Perhaps Korea Fed tot Cha is still a young kid at 16, let him do Juniors 1st.

I believe the Korean Fed's rule is that you had to have the Worlds minimums at the time of Nationals, and Cha didn't. I remember something like that being discussed in the South Korean skating thread anyways.

yude

Record Breaker
I don't think that's true of all skaters. I think they're all familiar with the numbers, but don't necessarily have absolutely everything memorized. At least that's my impression from comments made by some skaters, and also people I know who've skated internationally. I think Yuzuru takes it a bit further than most. Meagan Duhamel is the same. She always knows all the numbers.

Thank you, I have similar impression as yours honestly. I didn't know about Meagan. It's always interesting to me the skaters talk in depth about their layout of the program :)