Packing for flight tips | Golden Skate

Packing for flight tips

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I am going to try flying using one personal item and one carryon and leave the big suitcase at home. All the drugs, eye glasses, liquid bag, and cell phones will fit into my personal item.
What can I get away with in my carry on? Small colapsable scissors? Deoderant? Small bottles of dental rinse? Electric shaver with li-ion battery?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
From the website, regarding liquids:

"You are allowed to bring a quart-sized bag of liquids, aerosols, gels, creams and pastes in your carry-on bag and through the checkpoint. These are limited to travel-sized containers that are 3.4 ounces (100 milliliters) or less per item. Placing these items in the small bag and separating from your carry-on baggage facilitates the screening process. Pack items that are in containers larger than 3.4 ounces or 100 milliliters in checked baggage.

Any liquid, aerosol, gel, cream or paste that alarms during screening will require additional screening."

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Yeah, thanks...I know....but then are they really gonna confiscate a two inch folding sizzors? Is a deoderant a paste, cream,or liquid? The absence of a drug store is problmatic but I will make do....

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Put anything that cannot be checked (includes all lithium batteries and items containing li batteries) in your personal item. Put all medications and valuables in your personal item. Put all electronics in your personal item. Put your liquids bag in your personal item. Put anything that will may require inspection in your personal item. If space permits, put your toothbrush and clean clothes in your personal item.

There are two reasons for this. The first is that you don't want you main carry-on to be opened, by you or anyone else, when going through security. The second is that your carry-on may need to be checked at the gate, either because there are no overhead bins or because the bins are full by the time you board. You DO NOT want to be opening that main item to remove prohibited items in the gate area, or as your boarding pass is scanned to enter the plane, or on the plane itself. And you don't want to cause a fire on your plane by putting prohibited items in a bag that is checked, albeit unwillingly.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Not sure if tiny scissors are allowed, but I think deodorant is a liquid. Jam is definitely a liquid, so put your jam and deodorant in your liquids bag! I know they make odd bag-fellows, but just do it. Wrap some items in plastic wrap and/or tape shut if you are worried about cross-contamination.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Not sure if tiny scissors are allowed, but I think deodorant is a liquid. Jam is definitely a liquid, so put your jam and deodorant in your liquids bag! I know they make odd bag-fellows, but just do it. Wrap some items in plastic wrap and/or tape shut if you are worried about cross-contamination.
Jam? Did I say Jam?
I am gonna push the envelope with TSA......Solid deoderant is going into the shaving kit with 2 inch folding sizzors. All true liquids will be drugs or the quart bag. In the man pouch. Electric razor seems to not be marked with battery type. It goes into the shaving kit. May try and take very small back pack the size of a laptop case instead of man pouch. Take pics of everything. Including condition of suit case. If the break the suit case, throwing it 8 ft into a cart, go to the rep at your final airport and they hand out new bags like candy. Ask me how I know this.

Quart, gallon, and 2.5 gallon Zip lock bags are your friend.
BTW, if you make yourself look important, wear a USFS official laynard, and put your own home made creds in the pouch, sometimes they just wave you into the arena.... Just make an official looking card with your pic and name and copy of your USFS membership card..not that I would ever do that.....:slink:

Last edited:

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
If a battery is rechargable, assume it can't be checked. One-time-use alkalines can be checked. Many people use a suitable-sized backpack for their under-seat item. Advantage is that you can wear the backpack and have one hand for roller-case and one for id/boarding pass/etc.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
Yeah, thanks...I know....but then are they really gonna confiscate a two inch folding sizzors?
Can it be used as a weapon? Then yes, there's a chance they will confiscate it.

I once had a butter knife confiscated by TSA (domestic) at LAX. That thing is from a silverware set that I took (as souvenir lol) from my inbound international flight I just flew in from, prior to connecting to domestic flight. Funny thing is, they let me keep the fork, which is pointier and stabbier than that rounded tip butter knife. I have collected over a dozen sets of airlines silverware, and that was the only one that got taken. 😕

My dad had his nail clippers confiscated in HKG, because of that sharp pointy nail file thing that comes embedded in every nail clippers. Luck of the draw! It depends on the agent you get, and whether you are "randomly selected" for extra discrimination screening.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Here's what TSA has to say about scissors:

TSA scissors

Note the disclaimer at the end: the inspectors can essentially do whatever they want, regardless of published guidelines.

I would definitely put anything like scissors, batteries, near-liquids, electronics in personal item. The people in line with you will thank you for it.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Can it be used as a weapon? Then yes, there's a chance they will confiscate it.

I once had a butter knife confiscated by TSA (domestic) at LAX. That thing is from a silverware set that I took (as souvenir lol) from my inbound international flight I just flew in from, prior to connecting to domestic flight. Funny thing is, they let me keep the fork, which is pointier and stabbier than that rounded tip butter knife. I have collected over a dozen sets of airlines silverware, and that was the only one that got taken. 😕

My dad had his nail clippers confiscated in HKG, because of that sharp pointy nail file thing that comes embedded in every nail clippers. Luck of the draw! It depends on the agent you get, and whether you are "randomly selected" for extra discrimination screening.
Ironic, isnt it? My best friend is a retired USAF Col who went to work at the TSA as a supervisor....security, he says , is an illusion....

:rofl: KNITTING NEEDLES ON DOMESTIC FLIGHTS WITHIN THE US​

The TSA (Transportation Security Administration) clearly says you are allowed to bring knitting needles in your carry on bags or your checked backs. The same applies to crochet hooks.
My favorite is the common cable tie. Tell them they are for attaching luggage tags. Daisy chain three together, and you have a garrot the stew cant get off if you pull it tight.....
Pen filled with curare anyone?
He has a bunch more.....
Take away those nail clippers!!!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
If a battery is rechargable, assume it can't be checked. One-time-use alkalines can be checked. Many people use a suitable-sized backpack for their under-seat item. Advantage is that you can wear the backpack and have one hand for roller-case and one for id/boarding pass/etc.
I think that is what I am going to do . 18 in by 14 in by 8 inch. After 55 years of hiking, I have a basement full of packs....finding one that fits under the seats is no issue. I have lots of fun with the TSA....I wear an expensive embroidered shirt and hat from a shooting competition...guarranteed to get my hands swabbed. I have to wear patellar tendon supports and a hernia support so they take me into a room and search me....I color my underwear with a brown magic marker..... :rofl:
The lady with the titanium sharpened knitting needles walks right through.....