Pairs Short - Notes & Results | Golden Skate

Pairs Short - Notes & Results

Rosaleen

Medalist
Here's what I've got - not much time to get it up between pairs & men so I haven't done any corrections or additions

USA Scott / Dulebohn Start 1 Place 8
Notes purple & black / h to h back lift with step thr to one hand to start / thr 3s / sbs 3t he fell out hand down / sbs cam to sit to hold leg ast side close together with PERFECT unison / 2tw not much height / diag ftwrk moves very fast good unison / bods goo dlow pos 2 rev / pair sit to opposing camel to other foot

USA Orscher / Lucash Start 2 Place 7
Notes Still Got the Blues - Gary Moore / both in black / 2tw has good height & nice catch / sbs 3t out of sync a bit / thr 3s good height looked really easy / h to h lift to one h back takeoff one hand in front other in back / bods is pretty good / pair opposing came fast good pos to him in back sit / strt ftwrk goes really well with music bit on slow side but I like it / sbs cam sit back

CAN Langlois / Archetto Start 3 Place 5
Notes black & red music is leyenda by Vanessa mae / thr 3s perfect / great attitude / 2tw catch with hands over head / sbs 3t she fell / sbs flycam sit front sit super fast rev at start slowed as spin went on bit out of sync on exit / back h to h lift with step thr to one hand with twist out / strt ftwrk is excellent & in sync / bods is very good / pair spin cam to backsit by him cam by

CHN Zhang / Zhang Start 4 Place 2
Notes black with white accents / All Alone - Satriani / set the mood well into back h to h lift thr legs to star to rev star / sbs 3t perfect / sbs cam sit back sit catch knee perfect sync until a tiny tiny bit out at exit / thr 3l not great height but went amile / 2tw with slow rot & hang time for everer / O ftwrk / really neat entrance to pair spin too hard to describe & bods to end is quite good /

CHN Pang / Tong Start 5 Place 1
Notes Illumination - Lowland / her in ivory him in ivory shirt dark royal blue pants / sbs 3t out of sync not completely sure if he didn't double / thr 3l / front h to h lift to start to rev star with chg of hands / sbs spins were very fast cam sit back sitto foot at side being picky there were little bits of loss of sync / 2tw with hand time / pair opposing cam to rev opposing cam to crouch / bods was very slow going down but once down pos is good

UZB Aganina / Knyazev Start 6 Place 10
Notes shades of blue her with shredded skirt him shredded sleeves / sbs 2t / thr 2s / sbs spins were in and out of unison / 2tw is low but clean / back h to h lift with no chg of pos or hands / bods was shakey but stayed clean / pair cam to him in back sit in in back cam bit on slow side / sbs ftwrk is quite siple but together & flows very well. I found the music to be somewhat monotonous

CHN Ding / Ren Start 7 Place 6
Notes both in turqoise or light blue not sure what you'd call it / Meditation from Thais / thr 3l foot might have brushed going through / sbs 3t coming at us with a really nice smile on his face / 2tw is lateral but I checked teh split and it was good / sbs spins were fsat and almst perfect usinson / face to face h to h lift with multiple pos & hand changes / bods into pair spin the at kept up its speed and had some different pos / O ftwrk was before lift and was very lyrical if maybe a bit simple / replayshows they got out of sync at bit near end but exited together

CAN Putnam / Wirtz Start 8 Place 9
Notes white at shoulders fading to maroon at hem & his pants / ave maria / 2tw is ok / sbs 3s she turnout(double 3) but stayed on one foot / sbs cam fast rot close to back cam back sit very good perfect unison / ina to thr 3s high she pitched forward on toepick saw snow fly but stayed clean / h to h lift with change of hand to platter / sbs ftwrk is nice & lyrical good speed / bods gets very low almost looked like she put her hand on the ice / pair spin to end is good /

USA Inoue / Baldwin Start 9 Place 4
Notes her in purple & silver him in black with purple trip / Murder at the Cotton Club / sbs 3t / thr 3l she pitched forward on toepick and fell on stomach / 2tw not much height but clean / they're moving really fast / sbs spins very fast & good unison but a bit far apart / back hto h lift with back step through and drop exit a la Meno & sand / I didn't really see the footwrk / bods is very good into pair spin which also was very good /

CAN Marcoux / Buntin Start 10 Place 3
Notes both in black with a bit of blue trim / sbs 3t perfect / 2tw with hang time / big smile from craig as he came around after the sbs / back h to h lift with pos & hand ch to helicopter / thr 3l notgreat height but distance is good / sbs flycam to back sit to front sit good sync sit pos on both could be better / sbs ftwrk is very god & with music / bods is ery low into pair spin facing cam to sit to multi pos / a stand O for about 3/4 of the peeople / This is a great program for them and they sakted it great

Generated by SK8Score

Nadine

Record Breaker
Another phenomenal report, Rosaleen! :love:

I just wanted to make a few of my own personal comments on the following pairs':

Rosaleen said:
USA Orscher / Lucash Start 2 Place 7
Notes Still Got the Blues - Gary Moore / both in black / 2tw has good height & nice catch / sbs 3t out of sync a bit / thr 3s good height looked really easy / h to h lift to one h back takeoff one hand in front other in back / bods is pretty good / pair opposing came fast good pos to him in back sit / strt ftwrk goes really well with music bit on slow side but I like it / sbs cam sit back

ME: despite critical remarks that abound on the net about this pair, they still remain my favorite US pair........first time I saw them was this past Christmas on "Holiday Ice Dreams"........was literally bowled over by their Iris program. And that hasn't changed. Loved watching these two at Nationals. Good Luck in the FS!

USA Inoue / Baldwin Start 9 Place 4
Notes her in purple & silver him in black with purple trip / Murder at the Cotton Club / sbs 3t / thr 3l she pitched forward on toepick and fell on stomach / 2tw not much height but clean / they're moving really fast / sbs spins very fast & good unison but a bit far apart / back hto h lift with back step through and drop exit a la Meno & sand / I didn't really see the footwrk / bods is very good into pair spin which also was very good

ME: hmmm, despite major mistakes on the throws & jumps both here & at Nationals, they still are ahead of O&L. And I can only surmise that it's b/c of their speed (O&L better work on this). It's good for the US that they're in 4th, but I have to be honest & say that I don't think I'll ever enjoy this pair. I like ones that move me, come across as a true pair on the ice, excel either athletically or presentation (both would be the real deal), and being aesthetically gorgeous is a plus. JMHO.

Peace & Best Wishes, Nadine

rain

Record Breaker
Sounds like Marcoux and Buntin skated really well - I'm so happy for them. I hope Langlois and Archetto can get it together before worlds. I almost wish they had skipped this comp and really got down to some serious training. I'm not surprised the Chinese pairs are in 1st and 2nd after the short.

Quote...
ME: despite critical remarks that abound on the net about this pair, they still remain my favorite US pair........first time I saw them was this past Christmas on "Holiday Ice Dreams"........was literally bowled over by their Iris program. And that hasn't changed. Loved watching these two at Nationals. Good Luck in the FS! Unquote

I agree. This team is being glossed over and are very much underrated. They are the only team in the whole of Pairs Competitions today that have a unique style. I know, I know, it's not 19th century ballet, but for me, so what? I'm looking at figure skating not ballet. And besides they have knees turned out and toes pointed and that is sufficient for basic line. I like their rugged approach to Pairs.

Joe

Smiley

Spectator
Oh no!
Poor Qing Pang. Her legs look so so so tiny it is making me sick. poor girl, someone better give her some food, asap

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Nadine, part of O&L's problem is the speed, definitely.

The other part is definitely the lifts. If you have taped nationals, the long program, watch how unsteady they are, and how much difficulty Garret is having skating with Katie in the air, and in locking out his arms so that she is securely held. Plus because of the problems they are generally doing quite simple lifts.
Lifts of the pairs are the 2a of singles. The judges kill you if you have problems with them.

Their SP at Nationals was the best I have seen O/L.
(and I have seen them live in L.A, DC, skate America this year, nationals this year, both SP and LP). I have never seen them skate a program where their wasn't some problem with lifts.