Pang and Tong: 'For the love of the sport' | Golden Skate

Pang and Tong: 'For the love of the sport'

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Despite the doubt that the figure skating community, as well as some friends, have had regarding the comeback, the two-time World Champions want to make clear that it is not about placement.

"We didn't come back for the gold," said Tong. "We came back for our fans and for figure skating in China."
Albeit a short one, I have to commend this team for giving us another season. Here's hoping they give us two great performances in Shanghai—their sixteenth appearance at Worlds!!!:cheer2:

More...

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
What a great article about their comeback! They are so lovely to watch on the ice.

I am especially interested in Jian Tong's proposed future project:

The years of hard training and competitions have taken a toll on both skaters, and Tong in particular, who wants to identify areas that could benefit other young and upcoming skaters in his country. Anythingthat can keep skaters more injury-free would be wonderful.

“I am looking back and trying to figure what could have been done to prevent (them) and what could have been paid more attention to,” he said. “Then I can tell those kids in their early years. In this way we can build a more systematic and firm foundation for figure skating in China

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I wish them all the best at Worlds.:cheer:
What an interesting story of how they decided to come back to competition...belly fat! :)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
What a wonderful interview. :) I hope they can lay down two perfect skates at Worlds, no matter the result.

@dorispulaski
That part caught my eye too. More attention to injury prevention and rehabilitation could be vital, as the quad makes it way into pairs as well.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Nice story. A little bit sad is that they didn't go to Nationals so they kind of just got a spot to world's at the cost of another team. still they are the sentimental favourites.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Nice story. A little bit sad is that they didn't go to Nationals so they kind of just got a spot to world's at the cost of another team. still they are the sentimental favourites.

The 3rd ranked team are in their early 20s. They'll have plenty more chances to make it to worlds. Especially since it seems most Chinese teams don't end up retiring until their 30s! :)

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Nice article!
This is not what an athlete should look like. Let’s restart training or else you will get fat
:rofl: So, belly fat is the real reason of their comeback :biggrin:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
thanks for the article, i wish them best of luck for worlds, i hope they can be proud of themseşves regardless of the results, cant wait to see their stunning FP :love: and new SP :cheer:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Best of luck at worlds!!! They're my favorite pair, and I hope they'll gvie us some great performances. I'd also love to see them on the podium, but most of all, I want to see them being proud and happy :)

Also... belly fat? I can't imagine one of them looking fat no matter how hard I try :laugh:

Krunchii

Record Breaker
This is a wonderful interview, I love how they talk about getting youth from different parts of China involved, I hope they skate well at Worlds and achieve their dreams, I've been waiting forever for them to finally tie knot

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Great interview! I chuckled at the "belly fat comment". I will be rooting for them at Worlds!
GO P/T!

peg

Medalist
Doesn't everyone get some belly fat after a vacation to Italy? All that pasta and wine... :laugh:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
The 3rd ranked team are in their early 20s. They'll have plenty more chances to make it to worlds. Especially since it seems most Chinese teams don't end up retiring until their 30s! :)

Most, but injuries can end that and time can be precious. Not to mentione I am curious what about those teams that don't really make it? Did they get an education? What about those American pairs skaters whose names I have forgotten who are like third tier. What happens when they are 33 years old??? I suppose he argument is made that their counterparts destroyed their Oly gold chance so they have a right to rain on someone else's parade. I just didn't like the way they decided they would skate and din't even have to skate at nationals

pandaatlarge

On the Ice
Most, but injuries can end that and time can be precious. Not to mentione I am curious what about those teams that don't really make it? Did they get an education? What about those American pairs skaters whose names I have forgotten who are like third tier. What happens when they are 33 years old??? I suppose he argument is made that their counterparts destroyed their Oly gold chance so they have a right to rain on someone else's parade. I just didn't like the way they decided they would skate and din't even have to skate at nationals

For your information, unlike in many other countries, Chinese Nationals results never matter so much when it comes to decision of who goes to the Worlds. It is never a compulsory competition for top skaters and none of the three pairs who are going to the Worlds this year participated in the nationals this season.

After Peng/Zhang and Sui/Han, the de facto 3rd ranked Chinese pair this season is Yu/Jin. If you follow pair skating you may know that they were sent and won the Winter Universiade and World Junior Championships. It is indeed a loss of opportunity for them not being able to compete at home, but I would consider winning the two titles mentioned above made it up a bit. You may compare their situation as a similar case to Boyang Jin, who beat Han Yan in the nationals and claimed the title this season, was not assigned to the Worlds either (whilst China has two spots in men's and he is not even the first substitute!) , but was also sent to the Junior Worlds and did it really well there. I can go further with more similar cases in Japan, but I hope you got my point :)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
For your information, unlike in many other countries, Chinese Nationals results never matter so much when it comes to decision of who goes to the Worlds. It is never a compulsory competition for top skaters and none of the three pairs who are going to the Worlds this year participated in the nationals this season.

After Peng/Zhang and Sui/Han, the de facto 3rd ranked Chinese pair this season is Yu/Jin. If you follow pair skating you may know that they were sent and won the Winter Universiade and World Junior Championships. It is indeed a loss of opportunity for them not being able to compete at home, but I would consider winning the two titles mentioned above made it up a bit. You may compare their situation as a similar case to Boyang Jin, who beat Han Yan in the nationals and claimed the title this season, was not assigned to the Worlds either (whilst China has two spots in men's and he is not even the first substitute!) , but was also sent to the Junior Worlds and did it really well there. I can go further with more similar cases in Japan, but I hope you got my point :)
That doesn't make it right or fair though. the truth is skating is a very selfish sport in many ways. AS nice as we try to sugar coat things it really is about the individual / pang and tong are a wonderful team and no matter what happens have made their mark in history. They wanted OGM and it didn't work out. Maybe they were robbed in Vancouver? Ironically they are doing what Shen and Zhou did - saved their war torn bodies for the big event. Maybe the cycle will continue as teams or individuals drag out their careers it may mean others drag out their's in a vicious circle. They could be part of a Chinese sweep this year although I am hoping to see a russian and Canadian team on the podium. admittedly it is looking good for China with Russia down to really a no. 4 team as their best hope coming back from a major injury. Canada has their hope in Duhamel and Radford and one wonders if they can consistently land those big tricks still.

Last edited by a moderator:

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I haven't been following closely, can anyone tell me if they're coming back for this one competition or for the entire season? Thanks.