Parade of Champions | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Parade of Champions

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Re: Shen and Zhao's "Moulin Rouge"! I guess I have to "eat crow." I really never thought S&Z could carry anything off romatically in a program, but this was quite exquisite. Well done.

Kara Bear

Final Flight
YOu know who I liked?

P&T
Weird eh

I think if they picked music that they enjoyed and did a fun program in a competition, it might help them out. It was great to see their personality, especially his, come out. I could see them doing a great short prgram maybe to a Leonard Cohen song...without the words of course.

As for MK and Fallin'. I love this song and I loved the way MK exppresed it especially with the movement of her shoulders...nice touch. Nearing the end of the programm, I thought yto myself, "This is refreshing, a MK programme with NO spiral." And then she turned around and did a spiral. And it wasn't even set to a nice high in the music. Its like she feels because its her signature, she must end every progam with it...even if the music doesn't call for it. I think it would be nice to see MK skate a program WITHOUT her spiral, as good as it is...sometimes too much of a good thing, well, it gets boring.

S&Z were amazing...they get better and better as they go on.

GoldenLady

On the Ice
Kara Bear said:
YOu know who I liked?

P&T
Weird eh

I think if they picked music that they enjoyed and did a fun program in a competition, it might help them out. It was great to see their personality, especially his, come out.

I felt the same way; I really enjoyed their exhibition skate!

hockeyfan228 said:
Plusenko. Marton. Separated at birth :)

:laugh: ITA! I was thinking along those lines as well, when I saw that performance.

Count me out as someone who likes Galas, Parade of Champions, or Exhibitions. Same old stuff. And Plush does two numbers that would fit in ProSkate Champuionships. Maybe Plush is trying to close down Eligible Competitions. Part of the reason skating is going downhill is because of the silly skating and silly costumes.

The unique skater who originated the 'character' skate was Candeloro. He was special, and he was serious. Everyone else who tries to emulate him, and there are many, imo, are frauds.

Joe

Re: Michelle's "Fallin"...and so am I...

sarahmistral said:
P.S. Stepped up the font size b/c of the BIG impression the program made on me--fresh, exciting, gorgeous all around, just enough jumping...and I have tickets to COI on Saturday-wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!:)
Say it loud, SarahM, LOL. Great post. Don't forget to report on the COI show!
I'm wondering what Falling becomes. I watched it alive at last year's COI show one or two week after the worlds. Can't say I was impressed. -- MZheng
I know what you mean. I wasn't so impressed with the number in COI last year either. But did you see it in the Nationals exhibition? Like the one we just saw at Worlds, fantastic! Maybe the costume had something to do with it. I didn't care so much for the burlap bikini look from COI. But the white flowing dress, with her hair down like that -- wow!

Since the tour starts this week I wonder if Michelle will have time to work on a new number, or if she will do Fallin' again.

Either way, :love:

Mathman

PS. I thought all of Plusheko's show programs were great, especially Sex Bomb and the Big Head, :laugh:

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
What a wonderful show! Everyone was really "on". S/Z were incredible, Sasha, Shizuka, Michelle were terrific (say those 3 names 5 times fast!)--really entertaining. BTW, Michelle's program was reminiscent of Kristi Y. The only program that I did not like was that of the Bulgarians--a major snoozathon.

Last edited:

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
S/Z's skating brought tears to my eyes, like realtorGal said-incredible.

Plusheko's man/woman program was well..........so silly and funny! I'd give the costume a 6.0!

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
My favorites included:

Plushenko: hamming it up :laugh:

Belbin and Agosto: Loved their "Elvis" medley. Really a great all around performance, they captured the spirit of "The King" so well. I think they could get on the podium someday.

Johnny Weir: Skated to "Imagine" by John Lennon. Johnny might be my favorite U.S. Men's skaters since Paul Wylie -- crisp jumps, inventive spins and always hits nice positions.

Tong and Pang: "The Prayer" is an overused song, but T&P made it look good. They really related to one another well on the ice. You can really see the power in their skating.

Michelle: "Fallin" by Alicia Keys is definitely a departure for Michelle and I was surprised at how convincingly she pulled it off. As usual, perfect technique on all of her moves and a sensual side which up till this program she had kept under wraps. She's not 15 anymore. ;)

Sasha: "Romeo and Juliet." This was my first time viewing this program and I was incredibly impressed. The theme is perfect for her and the program really highlighted her strengths well.

Shizuka: You heard it here: Shizuka is a skater's skater. It felt like she was channeling Yuka Sato. Performing to "If I Had My Way," her moves just flowed like a cloud. She did her Ina Bauer again and it got great applause. A really gorgeous pink dress too -- no horrible feathers and no thong!

A great exhibition, it's good to see the USA has some strong up-and-comers.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Re: Re: Michelle's "Fallin"...and so am I...

Mathman said:
I know what you mean. I wasn't so impressed with the number in COI last year either. But did you see it in the Nationals exhibition? Like the one we just saw at Worlds, fantastic! Maybe the costume had something to do with it. I didn't care so much for the burlap bikini look from COI. But the white flowing dress, with her hair down like that -- wow!

Since the tour starts this week I wonder if Michelle will have time to work on a new number, or if she will do Fallin' again.

[/B]

Yes, mathman have to agree with you the Falling at Nats and Worlds gala are much better than the one in COI toure.

What a Saturday. First world gala from TV first, then went off see COI show alive. Have to say I like this year's COI much better than last year. I love MK's new number of 'Raise me up' the first time I watched it, she wear her National SP costumn. A lot of signature moves from FOG perfectly matching with the song.

icenut84

Final Flight
Overall, with the gala - I was actually a bit disappointed. Hmm. There were some great bits though.

Shen & Zhao - I got goosebumps. Beautiful. When the commentator said they were going to skate to Moulin Rouge, I was expecting the Tango de Roxanne. But instead they chose the gorgous song "Come What May", and it was totally amazing. Especially the ending. :love:

Michelle - I did like the programme, but not as much as Fields of Gold, I have to say. Some of it was great (more choreography than Tosca, easily), but on some parts, the music was just crying out for movement and she just wasn't moving to the nuances. And the spiral didn't fit the music. I did like it though, liked the dress, and her long hair flowing.

Sasha - gorgeous music, nice dress, some nice parts - but not enough choreography for me, way too many spirals and flexible-moves. I like the programme, but I just think she could do so much more with it. Am I alone on that?

Plushenko - what can I say. If I had to describe this guy in one word? Talented. Charismatic. A-natural-star (ok that's 3). But above all? UNIQUE! And that's what I love about him. Who else would perform like that? I can't think of anyone. Certainly not anyone who would do routines like that in the gala after winning Worlds. Sex Bomb; the one with the giant head; this new woman-man-woman-man one... I love that he's so different and isn't afraid of what people might think. Plushy rocks! :)

I also loved Shizuka's pink dress, and also enjoyed both Pang & Tong and Petrova & Tikhonov. And Navka & Kostomarov too. I usually prefer Denkova & Staviyski, but I didn't enjoy theirs that much. (Loved the one they did at Euros though - I think that's the one i mean anyway.)

libra 1

Rinkside
soogar said:
Plushy's woman costume music was some weird noise, like muffled voices. It's on www.somebodyelseslife.com if you want to download it. When the woman's muffled giggle and voice came on, he took off his shirt which became a dress and then put the shirt on when the man's voice came on. Plus he was prancing around feeling his "breasts"/bodice. He did a lot of mime to it. He was very expressive esp with his facial expressions and the body language of a woman.

I think Plushy must be popular with the ladies because he definitely has a warped sense of humor and expression in his program and he captured a lot of the nuances of a woman. And no, I don't think he's fruity.

Dear soogar,
of course Zhenia Plushenko isn't fruity. Mishin was sort of afraid to do this number because of so many gays in FS. But then he decided that Zhenia has so much of manly appeal that no one would think otherwise.
The number Zhenia is doing is a very famous hit by Russian world-famous clown Slava Polunin who now lives in London. So if Zhenia is able to show on ice even this - than there are no limits for him whatsoever!
libra -from Russia, with love

libra 1

Rinkside
Joesitz said:
Count me out as someone who likes Galas, Parade of Champions, or Exhibitions. Same old stuff. And Plush does two numbers that would fit in ProSkate Champuionships. Maybe Plush is trying to close down Eligible Competitions. Part of the reason skating is going downhill is because of the silly skating and silly costumes.

The unique skater who originated the 'character' skate was Candeloro. He was special, and he was serious. Everyone else who tries to emulate him, and there are many, imo, are frauds.

Joe

Dear Joe,
do you seroiusly think that Zhenia Plushenko's skating proves FS is going downhill?
re: Candeloro - I think it was great of him to add to serious skating battles some fun ! And Zhenia is no less unique and no less special - no one would even dare to do what he does leave alone the level of mastership...
libra

herios

Medalist
exhibition gala

I watched a few times my taped exhibition so far, and I cannot get over the fact how stunning Kati Winkler looked!
She is not just gorgeous, but also, with a beautiful and sexy body as well...Their upbeat mambo-disco is a perfect show number, I hope we will see them touring in America, now that they retire....

I cannot deny the fact that they sort of got a gift, but when you compare the "icy presentation" of Grushina & Goncharov with Winkler & Lohse's free program (easier, but very well sold), I can see what the judges were doing....and if they were looking at Kati's body, hey, she deserved a "good bye" medal.

Herios