Past Programs that would be competitive today | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Past Programs that would be competitive today

gkelly

Record Breaker
I think there are a couple different questions relevant to this thread.

Which performances from previous eras had technical content and quality comparable to successful performances today?

Which of those performances were designed in such a way that the skater would get full credit for their skills under today's well-balanced program rules and rules for levels in spins and step sequences? (In many cases, we can see that the skater had the skills but if they were competing under different rules they wouldn't have combined those skills in the right way to maximize points under today's rules.)

Which of those performances were strong in enough areas covered under PCS that they would earn high scores in those areas?

One thing I'll say for Gusmeroli, she was doing level 3 combo spins before IJS and was probably the single best example that inspired the backward-entry spin feature (although many French skaters used to do backward entry spins in the 1990s).

Anyway, it might make sense to day "I think this performance would score well in PCS" or which components in particular or "This performance would be right up there with the best jumpers today in terms of jump base marks and GOEs" or "This skater could have earned +3 GOEs on level 4 spins if only she'd put all those spin skills into the right combination of three spins."

Last edited: