Patrick Chan wins Lou Marsh Award as Canada’s top athlete | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan wins Lou Marsh Award as Canada’s top athlete

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Kudos to Patrick! :thumbsup:

Lest this be called a damage control PR gesture, he was awarded a prestigeous Distinguished Canadian Leadership Awards just this past October for among other things,

he also dedicates much of his time to community service agencies and programs for youth, including the Canadian Olympic Committee’s Adopt–an–Athlete program, for which he serves as a mentor to low-income elementary students on fitness, health, goal setting and communication, and Right To Play, for which he serves as an athlete–ambassador.

This is in keeping with his character. And his Athlete Of The Year award just gained $5000 for Think First, which is dedicated to educating children and teens about the prevention of brain and spinal cord injuries. Even his scholarship funds in honour of Mr Colson are for youths as well.

I am proud of him.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Other threads can derail, but this one is special. Only say good things about Patrick Chan!

call it more of an adhere to the guidelines. don't provoke a fight. derailing threads that go in a million different directions is one thing. picking fights just isn't cool.

brightphoton

Medalist
There aren't many directions it can go to. The awards articles all mention the irony of getting Canada's most popular athlete award right after Patrick's comments about how unappreciated he was by Canada (“I hope the award wasn’t given to me just to make me realize that I should appreciate what I have").

Whatever. You'll probably delete this post anyway because it wasn't "Yay Patrick!!!"

fscric

On the Ice
Other threads can derail, but this one is special. Only say good things about Patrick Chan!

There are gazillion threads to criticize Patrick on this forum, I sincerely hope it is not too hard for people to just not post on this one.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
There aren't many directions it can go to. The awards articles all mention the irony of getting Canada's most popular athlete award right after Patrick's comments about how unappreciated he was by Canada (“I hope the award wasn’t given to me just to make me realize that I should appreciate what I have").

This award was decided by Canadian sport journalists. They, of all people, understand how "journalism" works and how to filter out the crap.

Last edited:

brightphoton

Medalist
One week ago ...

Journalists are as conniving and incompetent. They unfairly made Patrick look bad just to stir up controversy and sell newspapers.

One award and one week later ...

Journalists know best!

To me, this is an empty award. Aren't these the same people that stirred up last week's hoopla? Now they want a pat themselves on the back for giving Patrick some verbal praise as an afterthought.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
One week ago ...

Journalists are as conniving and incompetent. They unfairly made Patrick look bad just to stir up controversy and sell newspapers.

One award and one week later ...

Journalists know best!

To me, this is an empty award. Aren't these the same people that stirred up last week's hoopla? Now they want a pat themselves on the back for giving Patrick some verbal praise as an afterthought.

Yea, mix them up to suit your purpose ala tabloid "journalism". At least the Reuters reporter apologized.

brightphoton

Medalist
Doesn't matter who wrote it. The big Canadian newspapers (Globe and Mail, the Star, CTV) ran the story. That means an editor read the Reuter report and said, hmmm, yes, yes, this story is of worth and should be given space in the public forum. They're responsible for this mess, and now they're sidestepping the issue of their responsibility, hoping it'll all go away if they give Chan some award.