Pick the music you want your favorite skaters to skate to in the coming season! | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Pick the music you want your favorite skaters to skate to in the coming season!

Lilith11

On the Ice
I love that for Mirai! Joyful and mature at the same time.

That one seems tough! I can see Mirai skating to it but it would be a challenge. I thought of Takahashi for that music. For his long program. He could easily match the intensity of the first part and he'd be gorgeous in the slower middle part.

Oh now that you bring it up... yes, Takahashi should definitely skate to it! He has such presence, such power and command on ice that he could definitely pull if off :D I'd love to see Takahashi skate to an intense piece of work like Prokofiev!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Oh now that you bring it up... yes, Takahashi should definitely skate to it! He has such presence, such power and command on ice that he could definitely pull if off :D I'd love to see Takahashi skate to an intense piece of work like Prokofiev!

Yes, but I love it for Mirai as well. It could be her Lyra Angelica.

Layfan

Record Breaker
ITA. Judging by how cute her Sabrina program was, I think she could make this work really well for her too.

I was thinking of her Sabrina program, too. :) One of my favorite programs ever from nationals. And favorite costumes, too.

Oh, Alissa.. why do you have so few of those moments? :cry:

Here's a gorgeous piece of music I think would be good for Alissa or Mao but especially Mao. During the last two minutes it would be so exciting to see a skater like Mao blend bursts of quick footwork with slower passages ... but would COP allow that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Myem3r9g0fI

And since I'm obsessed with Ennio Morricone these days here's another cool one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbdPUiih020&feature=related

I can see a lot of the men skating to it but it'd be more exciting to see a lady try it. I don't know who. Someone who could pull off that haunting feeling that Morricone always gives.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
ahhh, The Lady Caliph. Memories of Elena and Anton. I love, love, love this piece, Johnny used it for part of Fallen Angel this past season and I think just hearing it convinced me to like the whole program. I agree it would be amazing for Mao, maybe as part of a Freeskate along with something else...like Johnny did.

I think Jeremy could also do a nice program to this or maybe Florent Amodio.

Layfan

Record Breaker
ahhh, The Lady Caliph. Memories of Elena and Anton. I love, love, love this piece, Johnny used it for part of Fallen Angel this past season and I think just hearing it convinced me to like the whole program. I agree it would be amazing for Mao, maybe as part of a Freeskate along with something else...like Johnny did.

I think Jeremy could also do a nice program to this or maybe Florent Amodio.

:yes:

Johnny was great for that music because he's sort of a introspective skater ... it's like you're watching him feel the music instead of him trying to make the you feel the music.

Mao is a little like that, too ... they are not as accessible as a skater like Michelle Kwan but somehow it's still just so beautiful.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Keegan Messing - LP: Theme from 1942

Mirai Nagasu - SP: Hymnsong on Phillip Bliss

Toni, this goes back to page 1 (I know the focus has been mostly on the ladies here). For Keegan, do you mean the theme from "1492" or the theme from Summer of '42? They are quite different! Hartshorn & Sweiding, Elvis, & Todd skated to the "1492" theme (powerful music!), and "Summer of '42" is a very gentle, sensitive piece. Is this a typo? So which one do you mean. if I were to guess, I would say "1492."

Re: the ladies, Didn't Sasha skate to music from "My Fair Lady" a few seasons back in COI? Did she skate to "I Could Have Danced All Night" or a medley of songs from the musical? I do remember Tara skating to it in SOI.

Last edited:
Great idea, Joe! Or how about Lizst's Mazeppa? The music is a similar scale and intensity.

I suppose it would be a little too cute for Lambiel to skate to something from Rossini's opera William Tell? Swiss legendary hero, Swiss skater...seems like a good fit.

Since we're on stirring music, what about Mendelssohn's Hebrides Overture? It has a good variety of tempi, a fast section and then a slower lyrical section. And it's rather beautiful, I think. Yet I can't remember its being used, at least not recently.
For Les Preludes (Listz), I would also like to see Michal Brezina break away from his faux jazz and skate to it.

Yeah, I think Lambiel would do justice to a good cut of William Tell but it would be overly cute. Didn't Preaubert use it last season while wearing knickers?
Mazzeppa? Isn't that a Russian opera from a Ukrainian story? I don't know it?

Hebrides? Isn't that about Mendelssohn's trip to Scotland? I saw Ballanchine's ballet "Scotch Symphony". Some of it could be worked up for skating.

Not trying to be a 'bastard', but not many Ladies get to me as far as being interpreters of serious music. They would be best to stick with the light and aerie. If there was a full scale version of Cornish Rhapsody, I could see Caroline Zhang imagining herself as being ingulfed of memories over the windswept Cornish Coast. It has a lot musical changes including speed, and I think Caroline could break away from the obvious.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I read on Twiter that Dai is going to Lambiel for his SP chreography. This is very exciting as these two have some of the best footowork in thr biz. Maybe Dai can pick up some spinning pointers as well. The downside is that this all but signifies Lambiel's decision not to continue competing, but I don't think any of us honestly expected him to continue skating in GP events etc anyway.

(to Seniorita:) Yay! The thought of Takahashi learning even more wonderful moves, and from Lambiel at that, is delightful.

(to Joesitz:) You're right; there is a Tchaikovsky opera, Mazeppa, I believe. There's also this Liszt tone poem, and I believe there's a piano version of the tone poem. Apparently Mazeppa was a hero who captured imaginations across central and eastern Europe, as Rob Roy and others did in western Europe.

From YouTube University, here's the first section of the orchestral tone poem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RweM...8C4200BC1&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=5

Okay, this is very far out, but I'd love to see (as an exhibition program, because it has vocals) someone to skating to the tremendously haunting "The Greatest Star of All" from Sunset Boulevard. Now, I know you're all thinking of the raddled old Norma Desmond as she appears in the musical. But what the singer describes is Norma at the peak of her fame, young and beautiful. The lyrics are amazing: "Men would offer fortunes for a bloom from her corsage, or a few strands of her hair...." Sorry, this is the best recording I could find:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFFHttxmfrY&NR=1

It would need a really good actress, who could convey absolute self-assurance. I don't know whom to suggest. I think Sasha could carry it off, but I'm not certain who of the present crop of skaters could do it. Maybe Mao, who strikes me as a terrific chameleon. Or Caroline Zhang. Joannie, perhaps.

Last edited:

Lilith11

On the Ice
"Remember the Name" Fort Minor- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnLkFfaK-Bs

... what? Johnny did skate to "Poker Face" and Yu-na and Sasha have both skated to "Please Don't Stop the Music" and there was a group number in FOI to "I Gotta Feeling"... XD One day, we will have skaters skating to hard rock, metal, and rap/hip hop! XD

Wrlmy

Medalist
At the risk of sounding like I have absolutely no taste, I want Yuna and Miki to skate to Alejandro. ;)

(to Seniorita:) Yay! The thought of Takahashi learning even more wonderful moves, and from Lambiel at that, is delightful.

(to Joesitz:) You're right; there is a Tchaikovsky opera, Mazeppa, I believe. There's also this Liszt tone poem, and I believe there's a piano version of the tone poem. Apparently Mazeppa was a hero who captured imaginations across central and eastern Europe, as Rob Roy and others did in western Europe.

From YouTube University, here's the first section of the orchestral tone poem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RweM...8C4200BC1&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=5
Liszt' tome poem is very powerful. It would take a lot of editing to make it skateable. He was close to Wagner and I think he married one of Liszt' daughters. Could that have been Cosima? When you think of it Liszt met all the composers in his long life.

Btw, I do not know how to get recorded music, but I would like you to listen to Wagner's Overture to the Flying Dutchman (Der Fliegender Hollender). You can see Wagner going after the style of Liszt and with that opera he goes away from the Italian style of opera. I believe he was influenced by Liszt. Maybe it was Mazzepa.

I could see Plushenko skating to the 'Dutchman overture'.