Podium | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Podium

shanilia

Rinkside
Out of those group pictures, the only one whose smile looks genuine is Michelle's. Sasha I can understand; her smiles never reach her eyes. And I think Shizuka always looks like that; she has a very reserved smile.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Is this the first time that all 3 medalist on the ladies podium have buns? It just came to me that this might be the first time all 3 ladies on the podium have hair buns.

dizzydi

On the Ice
Podium.....

The only genuine smile is from Kwan!!

Please.........

Why take away from Shizaka's accomplishment with a comment like that. Sorry, but it still doesn't make Kwan the winner.

Dizzy

mzheng

Record Breaker
And I think Shizuka always looks like that; she has a very reserved smile.

Come on. I use this quote from the same post. I don't see any dissing on Shizuka here. That's exactly what I like Shizuka, very typical Japanese style with reserved smile and personality, which reflected in her skating style as well.

I don't have to say that to make Kwan a winner. Kwan has been a winner of my heart since her SLC losing and skated that beautyful FOG in the gala there. With all the incidents happened around her during the world, she still able to make on the podium.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
While they played the Japanese national anthem, the color video monitors in the arena showed the flag of Japan hanging vertically, with Arakawa's (live) face superimposed in the center of the sun, and on the left side of the monitor, the video editor faded in a clip of her skating backwards in the 1-handed open Bielmann catch spiral. It was quite lovely.

dizzydi

On the Ice
mzheng,

I don't think it was your quote I was quoting.

Anyway, apparently I misunderstood. Excuse my post.

I, too, love Michelle Kwan. Her skating has been nothing but great for the past decade. However, I do object to people (fans) making her into some kind of saint.

Truth be told....I would have preferred Kwan win the World Gold Medal but she didn't earn it this time around.

Dizzy

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
LBC said:
Nice pics. How tall is Arakawa? She towers over Michelle and Sasha but then Sarah did too. Looks to be at least 3 or 4 inches taller than the 5'2" Kwan and Cohen.
According to Crystal Report, she is 166 cm - that's 5'5"

IDLERACER

Medalist
"According to Crystal Report, she is 166 cm - that's 5'5"

Well, then that explains why she "towers over the others." She's the exact same height as Sarah Hughes, who also towered over those two.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Yes. I've liked Arakawa's skating since last season. Sarah's skating does nothing for me. And I think her typical Japanese lady reserved quality adn personality reflected in her skating. I still remember a fluffy piece they shown at GPF, she's just beautyful. I'm very happy for her winning and very deserved one. She is the another lady, except Michelle, I cheered all the way into 2004 worlds.

Antilles

Medalist
I was so happy to see my three favourite eligible skaters on the podium! Great pics. Someone said bronze was an all too familiar spot for Michelle. I disagree. Besides the one Olympics, isn't this her first World bronze? She's always been second or first when she's on the podium.

gellio

Rinkside
That's correct - here's her track record at World's and Olympics since 1996.

1996 Worlds - Gold
1997 Worlds - Silver
1998 Olympics - Silver
1998 Worlds - Gold
1999 Worlds - Silver
2000 Worlds - Gold
2001 Worlds - Gold
2002 Olympics - Bronze
2002 Worlds - Silver
2003 Worlds - Gold
2004 Worlds - Bronze

That's 11 major competitions (5 Gold, 4 Silver, 2 Bronze)

I would say Gold is her color.

Laura_B

Rinkside
ITA about loving Shizuka's reserved presence--I love how it reflects in her attitude, and in her artistry. It annoys me when people say that she lacks artistry, or needs to develop it more, because IMO it's not true. She has a very graceful, refined, reserved, gentle, understated elegance about her skating. Just because her personality and artistry aren't as flashy as some other people's, doesn't mean that the artistry is not there.
I'd have to say that overall I'm very pleased with World's this year, all the ladies skated beautifully, and it was very enjoyable to watch.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I actually hoped for Sasha to win, but as I watched Shizuka´s freeskate, she won me totally over. I loved her strong presentation, no holding back and she had a genuine feeling towards the music (IMO), and also the difficult jumps. It is a performance I have watched many, many times...

In Kiss&Cry and the podium I got an impression of a very genuine and polite person.

Marjaana

Lantz

Rinkside
thisthingcalledlove said:
it amazes me how tatiana tarasova always has the same exact facial expressions as her students when they win.

look at shizuka, then look at tt.

it reminds me of pasha grischuk at the 98 olympics, and how she was overcome with emotion, and crying...and tt was the same way then =)

That have to do with the personality of TT. There are many people who always have the same facial expresion, you dont see if he/she is happy, sad, angry,etc. They can even win the powerball and still have the same facial expression!