Polina Edmunds | Page 15 | Golden Skate

Polina Edmunds

Parsifal3363

On the Ice
I noticed Polina was with her mother in the K & C at Finlandia. Is David Glynn no longer her coach? If not, will a new coach be found for her? I assume Rudy is still her choreographer..

The bio page on Polina’s website states the following:

"After missing the 2016-17 season because of injury, Polina has returned to competition and is now being coached by Nina Edmunds (Polina’s mom) and Sergei Ponomarenko."

Sergei is married to Marina Klimova and was her partner when they won three world championships and Olympic bronze, silver, and gold medals in ice dancing. Marina choreographed Polina's junior programs and the breakthrough Grieg program that took her to the Sochi Olympics. She was succeeded by Rudy Galindo, who apparently remains the choreographer of record.

Interestingly, Sergei and Marina work together coaching young figure skaters in the San Jose area. While Sergei may be her coach now, I can't help but think that Marina will be involved in some fashion. If so, it can only be a good thing, for there was a special grace to Polina's performances during that Olympic season.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
The bio page on Polina’s website states the following:

"After missing the 2016-17 season because of injury, Polina has returned to competition and is now being coached by Nina Edmunds (Polina’s mom) and Sergei Ponomarenko."

Sergei is married to Marina Klimova and was her partner when they won three world championships and Olympic bronze, silver, and gold medals in ice dancing. Marina choreographed Polina's junior programs and the breakthrough Grieg program that took her to the Sochi Olympics. She was succeeded by Rudy Galindo, who apparently remains the choreographer of record.

Interestingly, Sergei and Marina are working together coaching young figure skaters in the San Jose area. While Sergei may be the coach or record, I can't help but think that Marina will be involved in some fashion. If so, it can only be a good thing, for there was a special grace to Polina's performances during that Olympic season.

That is good to hear. Hopefully they tap into her wonderful balletic quality, superb extensions; a mistake to miss taking advantage of this kind of grace... I continue to follow her skating with avid interest and am a devoted fan

Parsifal3363

On the Ice
Palladio

In his dreams, in the night, Palladio found pleasing harmonies which, in the day, were expressed as lines on paper or linen and transcribed into wood and stone and brick. Much later, beautiful music was composed to accompany the camera in a dance about these tangible reminders of a genius: rhythmic, harmonious music cresting upon the beauty of his work. It serves as well the dance of another, as she glides out upon the ice and as a muse to such an artist. An ideal is thus realized, from such inspiration to the dreamer, to his dream, found in lines traced upon the ice or in the air. It remains elusive, even now, picked of time and reflection, yet how close at hand, for her yearning and grace.

Parsifal3363

On the Ice
Eternal Return

It has always been this way, however great the distance in time from one competition to another. At the beginning of every performance, there is a moment when the skater pauses at center ice, gathering herself for the challenge. It is a nexus between hope and realization, where the ethereal is suspended before the lapsed graces of this world. Much rehearsal had brought her to this place, the countless repetitions with their variations, the joy shadowed by uncertainty. The silence waits, yearning to be filled. The moment passes, the music begins, and with movement and gesture, she makes anew her argument against the darkness.

elbkup

Medalist
Country
United-States
Polina was beautiful in her SP today.... can't wait for the FS!!! She is an artist on ice with the technique to match.. a lady with grace, determination and guts! Go Polina!! :hap10: :clap: :gclap:

Parsifal3363

On the Ice
Faith

After competing at the Internationaux de France in Grenoble, Polina and her mother Nina and brother James visited Paris before returning to the States.

It was a Paris found under dreary gray skies, the streets and pavements glistening with rain, yet it was ever the “City of Lights,” and well worth being there. The pictures she posted on Instagram show her smiling and radiant, happy to be with her family, happy to be in this place. In the background were The Louvre, various shops—Lauduree was one—and inevitably, the Eiffel Tower.

There was also a picture taken of her at night, standing before the illuminated façade of the cathedral of Notre-Dame de Paris. For this one, the caption was taken from the Letter to the Hebrews in the New Testament:

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.​

What might it have meant to her, so recently removed from a competition that suggested how far she had come and how far she still had to go?

She had improved over her performance at the Finlandia Cup a month before, seeming less tentative and more fully engaged with her programs. There was still an unwelcome suspense to her jumps—she double-footed a landing in the short program and fell twice during her freeskate--but even that could not take away from the sheer loveliness of her skating. The long, elegant lines and musicality were fully evident, as was her passion and commitment.

As she assumed the opening pose for her freeskate, in a shimmering white creation by Jef Billings, his last, it was evident that she was no longer what she had often seemed to be, the changeling princess of a fairy tale. In those months away from the ice and the spotlight that is sometimes too harsh to bear, she had blossomed into her dazzling young womanhood, whose heart in its depth could understand the nascent yearning of “Time to Say Goodbye.” With a gesture--the hand reaching out and then drawing back, as though to caress that heart in its brokenness--she suggested a love that would prefer the suffering of loss to never having been loved at all.

Such was her skating, such was her art.

Even so, it was not the breakthrough she might have hoped for, but only a marker of the progress she had made. In coming back from a debilitating injury, she had not fully regained the form or consistency which were once hallmarks of her skating. There were only a few more weeks before the U. S. Figure Skating Championships, and perhaps not time enough.

Those words, then, with which she ornamented a picture of herself before an old church, where generations had come to worship, may have suggested an appreciation of the spiritual reality underlying all that we are and do. Beauty and love are elusive, no less so in their expression in this world, and yet we must act as though their realization is worthy and certain.

Whatever the outcome of these evenings in San Jose, each time she takes the ice will be a witness to her faith in things unseen.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Welcome back Polina! :hap10: I was really impressed by her short program at National after she had to heal her injuries. I think fans of her would be very proud of her. I hope to see her continue her skating.

elbkup

Medalist
Country
United-States
So grown up, tenacious, a soul with grit and determination. Inspiring skate last night. Hope she does well in the FS and continues her career going forward with programs suited to her specific talents, grace, balance, balletic fluidity, serenity... for me, it is a joy to see women skating well... Kaitlyn, Gabby, Polina, Maria, Rika, Elena, Yulia, Carolina, bringing their special quality to the ice. Congratulations Polina!!!

musicfan80

Medalist
I think Polina's comeback was always going to take more than just this season - but I'm optimistic that next season will be could be great for her. I do greatly like how Polina has greatly matured in her presence on the ice. The silver lining is that she had time to hopefully heal completely before next season.

Parsifal3363

On the Ice
The Light of Interiors

For a home, the light of its interiors is an admixture passing through windows curtained and doors ajar, glancing off glossy enamels and polishes, the glass fronts of hutches and secretaries, and reflected from walls papered or painted.

It is the conjoined light of the sun and millions of stars.

The inner light of a person illuminates values and memories, the constraints of time and circumstance, desires and fears, dreams, and always, one hopes, the many aspects of love.

As with the light of this world, what is found within must come from without.

Such light may be expressed in music given motion, in a spin or leap, or a long, lingering gesture that attenuates time and space. It glistens upon the polished metal of a sharp skating blade as sunlight flashes from the wings of a bird in flight.

If it is there, however, then it will be given expression, whether upon the ice or in a graceful, written phrase, a kind word, the touch of a hand to one in need, or the open heart which listens.

The darkness shall be confounded by someone possessed of such radiance, whatever form it is given, for it finds its source elsewhere.

So has it been, for Polina, so shall it ever be.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Happy 20th birthday Polina! Hoping her 20s are great to her. Alina has the same birthday as her 4 years apart :)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Re the tragic loss of Denis Ten :sad4::

Polina posted an Instagram story yesterday -- showing video of the Toyota Sports Center tables in memory of Denis, where photos of him are on display and many flowers have been laid in his honor :bow:.

On Thursday, Polina had perma-posted a lovely message of tribute to her friend.
Very sweet that she also paid her respects to Denis at Toyota Center :ghug:.

[I gather that Polina already had been in SoCal early in the week (per her shots on preceding days of Disneyland, the Hollywood sign, etc.).]

doublequad

On the Ice
Was going through her programmes and I realized she hasn't done a 3Lz-3T combo since 2015. Was it growth issues or injuries?

humbaba

Final Flight
Was going through her programmes and I realized she hasn't done a 3Lz-3T combo since 2015. Was it growth issues or injuries?

Polina did 3Lz3T in both the short and free programs at the 2016 US Championships. IIRC, that is the last competition where she skated at full strength. After the championships, the bone bruise in Polina's foot became an issue.