Polina Kostiukovich & Aleksei Briukhanov | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Polina Kostiukovich & Aleksei Briukhanov

hanca

Record Breaker
According to the Russian forum, Kostiukovich/Briukhanov have split up. Kostiukovich will skate with Sviatchenko. Sviatchenko skated last season with Labazina, so they split up too.

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
I might as well post a comment here also. I’d like to say I’m surprised but I’m not. But I am surprised she is pairing up with Sviatchenko. He is not the tallest guy in the rink and height was problem for her with Yalin. I hope it works out for her. She is a real performer and fighter on the ice.

I wonder what will happen to Briukhanov, I like to see him skating with a new partner.

Plenty of drama in Russian Pairs skating today. No doubt there‘ll be more to come in the weeks and months ahead.

Thanks for all the updates Hanca.

hanca

Record Breaker
I might as well post a comment here also. I’d like to say I’m surprised but I’m not. But I am surprised she is pairing up with Sviatchenko. He is not the tallest guy in the rink and height was problem for her with Yalin. I hope it works out for her. She is a real performer and fighter on the ice.

I wonder what will happen to Briukhanov, I like to see him skating with a new partner.

Plenty of drama in Russian Pairs skating today. No doubt there‘ll be more to come in the weeks and months ahead.

Thanks for all the updates Hanca.
I think Kostiukovich and Sviatchenko are in the same position. Once considered a strong partner, but was not so lucky in the past few seasons, so they are not currently seen as someone the federation should count with.

Kostiukovich was promising with Ialin and then suddenly lost her jumps. Then, despite having a very strong partner (Briukhanov), their last season was not very successful. Their international scores were quite low, and they were beaten by new pairs like Geinish/Mironov. They did not qualify even to the JGPF.

Sviatchenko was considered strong early on when competing with Kvartalova, then she grew up and it went downhill. He paired up with Balabanova, they were pretty successful at Russian cups, 1st and 2nd, scoring in 180s and 190s most of their competitions. They qualified for Russian senior nationals, but had to withdraw because of injury. The following season they again qualified for senior nationals and ended up 10th. So even if they were good in smaller competitions, he couldn’t establish his name as someone the federation should count with. To be fair, Balabanova was quite too tall for him and the rumour was that he was skating with her because they were in relationship off ice. I am not surprised they split up if he wanted to have results. With Labazina most of their results were in 180s, but they did not qualify for senior nationals. (Labazina also looked promising in the past, but it seems that she lost it. )

So both Kostiukovich and Sviatchenko have now history that looked pretty promising and then the results went downhill and were never again replicated. If they want to be counted with, they need a season like Akopova/Rakhmanin. It is not good enough to be just good, they need to stand out. I am not sure if this will be possible unless Polina has fully regained her jumps.

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
The split has become official. As one of their biggest fans, even if this was not surprising and may be for the best, I cannot help but feel quite sad. Polina and Alexei had so much potential that went unrealized. I can't help but wonder what could have been had they had different coaches in this past season.

The rumors is that she is with Sviatchenko, and he has gone back to the Velikovs, where I am guessing that they have paired him with a prepubescent girl with unsustainable technique. I hope the split was amicable and they had a good time with each other while it lasted.

hanca

Record Breaker
The split has become official. As one of their biggest fans, even if this was not surprising and may be for the best, I cannot help but feel quite sad. Polina and Alexei had so much potential that went unrealized. I can't help but wonder what could have been had they had different coaches in this past season.

The rumors is that she is with Sviatchenko, and he has gone back to the Velikovs, where I am guessing that they have paired him with a prepubescent girl with unsustainable technique. I hope the split was amicable and they had a good time with each other while it lasted.
Actually, the newest rumour says that Sviatchenko went to Sochi with Marie Pavlova. If that’s true, it may mean that Sviatchenko and Kostiukovich only had a tryout and it didn’t work out.

icetug

Medalist
I am sorry to read that Polina has split up with Alexei, but to be honest I did not manage to like him during their two years together. Comparing to Dima Ialin he is not only less skilled skater overall but also has always seemed much less reliable. During each lift, I was afraid that he would drop Polina on the ice...
By the way, is Dima still training? Is there even the slightest chance that he and Polina will try to skate together again?

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
Actually, the newest rumour says that Sviatchenko went to Sochi with Marie Pavlova. If that’s true, it may mean that Sviatchenko and Kostiukovich only had a tryout and it didn’t work out.
So why has Maria Pavlova seemingly skated with every single pairs skater on the planet at some point 🤣 Did Balazs Nagy not work out so well?

If Kostiukovich/Sviatchenko didn't work out, I'm not surprised, and honestly, not quite sad. It will be hard for her to get another partner if she wishes to continue competing at the highest level, though it seems she may also just wish to move on at this point. I wonder who Briukhanov is skating with.
I am sorry to read that Polina has split up with Alexei, but to be honest I did not manage to like him during their two years together. Comparing to Dima Ialin he is not only less skilled skater overall but also has always seemed much less reliable. During each lift, I was afraid that he would drop Polina on the ice...
By the way, is Dima still training? Is there even the slightest chance that he and Polina will try to skate together again?
Some say that Alexei had a personality (at least to the public) that was difficult to like, espsecially in contrast with Polina, which is fair. According to the Velikovs, Ialin is working as a coach and pursuing show skating now, he probably hasn't trained to be in competitive shape in a while. And even if he were, it wouldn't be with Polina. During their last season together, it was detailed how she could not eat anything so that she would stay small enough for him, and their elements were clearly a struggle. Now, Polina has grown even more, she cannot and should not try to go back to her previous weight. I do miss their skating together, and I do miss Polina's fire on the ice.

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
https://sport24.ru/news/figureskati...i-smene-grazhdanstva-polina-kostyukovich-foto

Interview with Polina. She wishes to keep skating, but so far has not received any options for a new partnership. I hope she will find someone suitable, as I believe that she still truly has something special to bring. She also confirms that the split was Alexei's choice. In a sense, this really should not have been surprising given the circumstances, but seeing as he did not dump Vislobokova back in the day, I was skeptical that he would really pull a decision like this. But alas, at 20 years old with only one year left in juniors, there is not much time to waste. I can only hope that he dumped her graciously.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
The pair split, Aleksei will skate with Iulia Artemeva (who split with Nazarychev who will skate with Labazina). Polina is without a partner so far.

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
For those who are interested:

Polina skating in Navka's shows and doing some roller skating:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CkyZWhGo-Sb/
Her iconic costume with Dmitrii Ialin was recycled: https://www.instagram.com/p/CkNux4fo90P/

Aleksei's new fanpage with Yulia. They have qualified for both junior and senior nationals if I remember correctly. https://www.instagram.com/pair_skating_addicted/

I must admit, I miss them. As much as I know that everything will work out in the end, it still feels sad and bitter to think of how much potential they had as a team.

icetug

Medalist
For those who are interested:

Polina skating in Navka's shows and doing some roller skating
Thank you very much for the information, I was wondering how she's doing.
I have less and less hope that she will return to competition. Apparently, there is no partner for her in vast Russia, and foreign partnership is also out of the question in the current situation... It's sad and frustrating. Only Russia can easily accept the waste of such a talent.

Last edited:

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
For those who didn't hear: Polina officially retired from competition. It's good for her, but also sad becuase nobody should have to end their career in such a manner. It was expected, but such a talent and unique star was wasted by such a combination of factors, Alexei cannot be blamed. Figure skating didn't deserve Polina Kostiukovich - but I hope that it will learn some lessons from her story.