Possible defect on new gold seals? | Golden Skate

Possible defect on new gold seals?

sk8trb

Spectator
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this as this is my first post, but I just got new gold seals and noticed this chipped (?) area on my blade near my rocker after the 3rd time skating on them. I always use my hard guards and have only walked on the mats that are immediately adjacent to ice. I've never seen this type of mark on any of my previous blades and seeing as they are new blades I'm a bit concerned. I haven't had a chance to skate on them again to see if my blade feels any different. The chipped (?) area seems to be shallow. Is this something to worry about? Please help!
IMG-7074.jpg

IMG-7078.jpg
IMG-7077.jpg
IMG-7076.jpg

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Can't quite tell from your photos. But it doesn't appear that the edge itself is chipped. Is that correct? If so, that would be odd. Also, maybe a silly question. But have you checked whether it's simply an ink mark (such as from a Sharpie or Magic Marker)? Use an alcohol wipe to see if it comes off.

Did you buy it from a local pro shop? If so, have the tech inspect it.

sk8trb

Spectator
The edge itself doesn't look chipped to me. It's not marker or anything like because in person the chipped area is a different layer than the rest of the blade, it's really hard to capture on camera because it's so shallow.

Taking it to the shop tomorrow AM to get looked at. Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
Someone on Reddit just recently had the same thing happen to their blades, not Gold Seals but they were definitely MK/Wilson. I think the manufacturer is having a materials issue, that's certainly not up to their normal standard.

sk8trb

Spectator
Someone on Reddit just recently had the same thing happen to their blades, not Gold Seals but they were definitely MK/Wilson. I think the manufacturer is having a materials issue, that's certainly not up to their normal standard.
That's good to know. I went to my pro shop today and my tech agreed that it's likely a manufacturer defect.

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I have gold seals on my old skates and that is definitely a defect haha. Prob a miscue by the machinery or techs who formed the blade

sk8trb

Spectator
Just glad it isn't something that I did especially with how much they cost..!

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
So did your tech say the defective blade will be replaced under warranty? Was it only one blade, or both blades, that has the defect?

sk8trb

Spectator
Yes, thankfully he's going to contact the manufacturer to get my blades replaced. It's just the one blade that has the defect