Post-Olympic Drama: Worlds | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Post-Olympic Drama: Worlds

lesnar001

Record Breaker
Now to get back on topic....

1988 World Championships

Obviously not a HUGE shocker, but unexpected nonetheless....
Gordeeva & Grinkov finishing second (I believe that Ekaterina Gordeeva fell in the long program)

Not so much shocking, but to me a little strange (because of the expectations for these skaters)

Debi Thomas having problems in the LP and finishing 3rd again
Brian Orser finishing second to Brian Boitanao again.

Indeed, the podium for the Men & Women was indentical to the Olympics.

lesnar001

Record Breaker
Pre-Olympic Drama Worlds....

1993 Nancy Kerrigan fell from 1st place in the SP to 5th overall after the LP. I believe she "popped" quite a few jumps and can't even remember if she fell or not.
Anyway, it was a disasterous skate for her. The thing I remember most was the look of disbelief and shock she had backstage which was only made worse when Oksana Baiul went dashing by.

She sought help from a sports psychologist, and went on to become a much stronger competitor. So much, that "you-know-who" saw her as a threat that needed to be neutralized. And the rest is history, as they say.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Yeah, I also don‘t get why there needed to be an extra rule just because of what Alina did.
Edit: Yeah, I realise now that this is pretty off-topic, sorry! Let‘s focus on something else.

Hopefully the changes will bring a new dimension to her skating as some felt that BL was boring, me included, particularly in those first few mins. Fingers crossed that the new changes are good for the future of skating, and now back to topic.

Scout

Final Flight
It's better for OGM to not compete at worlds. See the performances of Yuna Kim and Zagitova. But i think they didn't have the choice. They had to compete. If there was another girl who could win at least two spots for Korea, Kim would have withdraw. And if Medvedeva wasn't injured (or if Zagitova was more loved by the fed), she could have withdraw. But she had to compete to win the three spots (which she did by being the highest Russian finisher despite her meldtown).

I don't think Zagitova would have withdrawn if Medvedeva wasn't injured. Zagitova had the rare opportunity to be undefeated in her senior debut, in an Olympic year. What an accomplishment that would have been!

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
With all this back and forth talk about Alina's PCS (I tried to avoid this discussion here), I just have to express that I am very glad she was not on the podium in Milan, despite being held up egregiously by the judges. Awarding a PCS so close to 70 for that skate with 3 falls is indefensible from the judges. These 3 mistakes were very disruptive to her performance and yet she still received 8.32 for PE, which BTW is labelled by the ISU as very good. I would call Loena Hendrickx's performance as very good, who received a lower PE mark, not Alina's. Only two judges had the guts to give her 7's in that component. Not to mention she was also rushing to try and catch up with the music because of those interruptions, which should also greatly lower her IN mark. She was fortunate enough to finish in 5th place, only 2 points away from 3rd place.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
With all this back and forth talk about Alina's PCS (I tried to avoid this discussion here), I just have to express that I am very glad she was not on the podium in Milan, despite being held up egregiously by the judges. Awarding a PCS so close to 70 for that skate with 3 falls is indefensible from the judges. These 3 mistakes were very disruptive to her performance and yet she still received 8.32 for PE, which BTW is labelled by the ISU as very good. I would call Loena Hendrickx's performance as very good, who received a lower PE mark, not Alina's. Only two judges had the guts to give her 7's in that component. Not to mention she was also rushing to try and catch up with the music because of those interruptions, which should also greatly lower her IN mark. She was fortunate enough to finish in 5th place, only 2 points away from 3rd place.

Haha...I think in a post Olympic World Championship it’s normal to see a top contender who has a bad skate get generous scores ;)

https://youtu.be/V0a4ru7HorQ

I think Caro had at least three single jumps here and four double jumps :palmf: she also got several 10’s... Probably best to just look away :laugh2:

Poor Pogo :cry:

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic

You are breaking into open door. I don't think there was opinion Alina should be in the podium WITH the FP she delivered in Milan. The discussion was different, if somebody is happy just because she fell three times and did not medal (because she was "gaming the system").

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Well it's not like she was the only one. Kostner got almost 75 PCS While she bombed too. I'm very glad too that she didn't medal this time.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I don't think Zagitova would have withdrawn if Medvedeva wasn't injured. Zagitova had the rare opportunity to be undefeated in her senior debut, in an Olympic year. What an accomplishment that would have been!

Hmmm i think she would have think about how much she was tired, how the grow spurt was affecting her, the opportunity to be seen as the undefeated champion by media and potential sponsors, letting go the extreme pressure while doing tv appearances and commercials.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
P.W was so iconic that.....you know judges couldn't resist. At least it was not a 10:biggrin:

Oh totally - it's probably in my top 3 SPs of all time! But he made a serious error and that should have been taken into consideration. Machida would have a World title had it been.

vunhung3001

Rinkside
Hmmm i think she would have think about how much she was tired, how the grow spurt was affecting her, the opportunity to be seen as the undefeated champion by media and potential sponsors, letting go the extreme pressure while doing tv appearances and commercials.
IMO Her not being medalled at Worlds wasn't a bad thing. I read her recent interview in which she said she was shocked by her FS because at that time she was physically and mentally ready and her practice was good. Next day, her team analysed and tried to figure out what was wrong. If she had ended last season with a Worlds Gold, they might have thought everything was okay and next season there is a big chance she will have to deal with what happened to Yulia. After a competition, skaters always gain some experiences for their future competitions. Hanyu mightn't have won Olympics had there not been Worlds 2016, ACI 2018 ( where he won SP by a large margin but bombed FS) or Chen said Olympics gave him experiences for Worlds. It was heart - breaking to see what happened to Alina at Worlds but on the bright side she and her team now has a whole off-season to analyse and adjust.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
One of the biggest was Sasha Cohen finishing 3rd at 2006 Worlds even with Shizuka Arakawa & Irina Slutskaya not being there.

Even bigger was Kimmie Meissner winning gold at those same 2006 Worlds!

eee gawds that was rough. Sasha had it, she could touch the gold. It was so close and then she fell on her salchow. THEN Kimmie came out and said "if you don't want it, I'll take it" and did two 3/3's and skated clean and full of energy. Kimmie was no where near Sasha artistically, but she delivered a solid performance.

I think Sasha was sick with the flu at the time. She probably should have withdrawn. That must have been a long flight home.

lesnar001

Record Breaker
eee gawds that was rough. Sasha had it, she could touch the gold. It was so close and then she fell on her salchow. THEN Kimmie came out and said "if you don't want it, I'll take it" and did two 3/3's and skated clean and full of energy. Kimmie was no where near Sasha artistically, but she delivered a solid performance.

I think Sasha was sick with the flu at the time. She probably should have withdrawn. That must have been a long flight home.
My saddest moment for Sasha was when she had a chance to beat Michelle Kwan at 2005 Nationals.

She was going so beautifully, and then that untimely fall just "broke" the moment.

I don't remember what jump she fell on --- one thing I do remember is 1 judge gave her a 6.0! (he must have dozed off for a few seconds and missed the fall)

skatenewbie

Medalist
They never were. And that's what I liked. Now 4-3 will be the norm. And that's what I hate.
nope i think 3-4 will still be the norm. ive seen new programs from few skaters like korean junior, japanese skater (they showcase their new FP in DOI/SOI/other ice show), some US men skaters and mostly put 3 jumps then do some spins/even footwoork and go back to jump. i think 4 consecutive jumps just seem not aesthetic/boring and when backloading is not limited majority skaters choose 3-4 so they might already used to it after doing so many programs that way. That's why when Evgenia turn to senior and do 2-5 she's standout because other doing 3-4 and then Alina and other junior came with 0-7 and 1-6.