Potential | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Potential

diver chick

On the Ice
I agree that living up to 'potential' can be the hardest thing someone has to do.

I don't think Cohen is perhaps the best example because she was quite vocal about setting her own yardstick and has failed to live up the the expectations she put on herself.

Perhaps a better example would be someone like Stephen Cousins. The British really thought he was going to be the next big thing. While he is a very pleasing and musical skater, he was never going to be an Olympic Champion, but he worked hard, skated well and carved out a healthy career in pro skating having never won a major championship. So did he or did he not live up to his potential - I certainly think so :)

This thread is interesting with different views of what a skater's potential is? Is it to win the Olys? Is it to be the best jumper, or spinner? Is it to get into a travelling show? I think we are confusing potential with goals. Regardless of what Sasha said about what she expects of skating. (IMO, she has a right to do that.) she demonstrated in the 2000 US Nationals, that she had potential to win the Olys. At an early age there was incredible flexibility, excellent stroking, and musicality. Many skaters have to work at attaining those elements, but it appeared she was gifted with them. That I would say is potential.

Five years later, she still has this potential, and is still a contender for the Olympic championship

Maybe she will break "the curse of the teenies" and now we are talking about a goal. If she doesn't she still has or had potential.

Joe