Predictions | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Predictions

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Ladies
1. Kim - she is so far ahead of everyone this season, the only way she won't do well is if her skates get lost. I hope they won't get lost.
2. Kostner, with fewer mistakes than usual
3. Asada, never put too much faith in one jump!
4. Rochette
5. Nakano
6. Ando

Dance
1. D/S - the French ones
2. K/N
3. D/S - the Russian ones
4. B/A, as punishment for doing Tosca, and with a headband no less.
5. D/W
6. F/S

Pairs
I don't care and I'm not going to bother. They won't skate remotely clean programs anyway. I hope V/M get a medal because the fabulous Tatiana deserves it. And if Yuko Kawaguchi sticks with those hideous constumes, I hope she and Smirnov finish last.

Men
I'm not touching this one; the guys are unpredictable and the judging is beyond me. I will only stick to my prediction from right after CoC, when people were writing him off: Tomas will win a medal.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
kandidy said:
She will hug her skates and carry on the plane with her dear life.
Awww, I wish they could do that!
Hey, you can't even bring a bottled water through security, do you seriously think such dangerous objects would be allowed? :laugh:

Yu-Na Kim: armed, and extremely dangerous to all other skaters!

Bennett

Record Breaker
Hey, you can't even bring a bottled water through security, do you seriously think such dangerous objects would be allowed? :laugh:

Nop! Even Mao Asada who is treated like a princess by her sponsoring airline company could not use her Diplomat Priviledge to do that.;)

Medusa

Record Breaker
Ladies
And if Yuko Kawaguchi sticks with those hideous constumes, I hope she and Smirnov finish last.
Well, our love affair is officially over - I love those costumes of her this season. They are different and gorgeous! He could change his though and let the hair grow back!!! Seriously, was he so tired of being swooned over so he changed his look?
Yu-Na Kim: armed, and extremely dangerous to all other skaters!
Heh. Of course, armed with the best 3-3 in the business and the best musicality.
Nop! Even Mao Asada who is treated like a princess by her sponsoring airline company could not use her Diplomat Priviledge to do that.;)
Her what? There is such thing for athletes?

Wrlmy

Medalist
Ladies:

1. Mao Asada, her TEB performance was just a freak accident it seems. She seems physically more fit than Yu-Na.

2. Yu-Na. She's been consistent but not in her perfect form. Her worse-than-usual spins are indication. She will have pressure of home crowd which she's never faced before.

3. Joannie. She can take gold if she skates two perfectly clean programs.

4. Yukari Nakano. Because she always just misses the podium whether she deserves it or not.

5. Miki Ando. She and Yu-Na have been the most consistent ladies. But downgrades and low pcs will hurt her.

6. Carolina. She has to skate clean to medal. Her toughest competition at COR came from Rachael who didn't even qualify for GPF.

Men
1. Patrick Chan. He is the chosen one and rightfully so.

2. Brian Joubert. If he skates clean lp, he will overtake Chan.

3. Takahiko Kozuka. He is very good but not spectacular (YET).

4. Jeremy Abbot. He will need to skate clean sp to receive pcs he deserves.

5. Johnny Weir. He seems odd this season. Just not his usual style or attitude. It's like Michelle back in 2002.

6. Tomas Verner. Will he ever skate reasonably clean?

bekalc

Record Breaker
1. Mao Asada, her TEB performance was just a freak accident it seems. She seems physically more fit than Yu-Na.

2. Yu-Na. She's been consistent but not in her perfect form. Her worse-than-usual spins are indication. She will have pressure of home crowd which she's never faced before.

I'm not so sure how accidental it was given some reports of Mao's practices...Mao always skates well in Japan. I'm kind of not sure who to go with because Yu-na has been more consistent. But if Mao hits she'll win.

Honestly I'm thrilled that Yu-na looks a little out of shape here because I'm hoping that they are undertraining her now so she'll be healthy at worlds...(Finally!)

I want Mao to win this one because I'm convinced GPF is cursed for Yu-na, BUT I have a feeling Yu-na will take it again.

shallwedansu

On the Ice
For now, ladies:

REALITY
1/2. Asada/Kim: It wouldn’t be a true rivalry if it were so easy to determine the winner, now would it? ;) While Mao seems to thrive in front of a home crowd, we’ve never seen how Yu-Na will cope in the same situation. She’s been skating for several seasons now with the weight of her entire country on her shoulders, so I’m guessing skating in front of an entire stadium of fans will only encourage her more. The deciding factor here for me is not Yu-Na, but Mao. Will Mao continue her upward improvement or completely bomb? Honestly, with Mao that question is not as easily predictable as other, more consistent skaters.
3. Rochette/Nagano/Ando/Kostner: I think they all have a pretty even chance, with Rochette having a slightly bigger edge over the others, then Nakano, then Ando, and Kostner with the least, but still close enough to skate into third. That probably didn’t make any sense, but it does in my head. :p

FANTASY
1. Kim: Who would want to see a top skater fall apart in front of her own countrymen? (unless you're just plain mean) Also, how many times in her career will Yu-Na ever have the chance to compete in an international competition on home ice? Not often, so the very few chances she does get like this GPF, I would like to see her rise to the occasion and really give a performance to remember for her fans at home.
2. Asada: Second, only because I want to see Yu-Na win on home ice. On any other ice, I would like to see Mao win another GPF so she and Yu-Na can be even. (Which is also why I would like to see Yu-Na win Worlds so they can be even.)
3. Nagano: If Miki is the ugly step sister (and I feel for her as a person, but I’m just not enamored with her skating as I am with her teammates), then I think Yukari is often the forgotten daughter. Although lately, I feel as if Miki is not only unwanted, but becoming forgotten. :frown:

eleonora.d

On the Ice
Ladies
1. Kim - she is so far ahead of everyone this season, the only way she won't do well is if her skates get lost. I hope they won't get lost.
2. Kostner, with fewer mistakes than usual
3. Asada, never put too much faith in one jump!

Lol, I love your comment!!

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Well, our love affair is officially over - I love those costumes of her this season. They are different and gorgeous! He could change his though and let the hair grow back!!! Seriously, was he so tired of being swooned over so he changed his look?
Alas, I guess we were never meant to be ;). I firmly believe no woman over the age of 10 should ever wear a tutu, with the exception of ballet and the Sex and the City opening credits.

As for him, the SP outfit is not very swan-like. Not that I want him to borrow Johnny's Camille - some things are best left to Johnny.

Wrlmy said:
1. Patrick Chan. He is the chosen one and rightfully so.
The chosen one of the judges? I hope not. It's bad for skating to have coronations rather than competitions, even if the skater in question is great - which Chan is not. He's good. All six men are. I'm generally pleased with the men's field this year, but Chan is not among my favorites.

eleonora.d, thanks for the positive feedback :).

Last edited:

bekalc

Record Breaker
1. Kim: Who would want to see a top skater fall apart in front of her own countrymen? (unless you're just plain mean) Also, how many times in her career will Yu-Na ever have the chance to compete in an international competition on home ice? Not often, so the very few chances she does get like this GPF, I would like to see her rise to the occasion and really give a performance to remember for her fans at home.

I want Yu-na to skate well. But right now with Asada's increased base value it would take major mess up for Asada to lose... (I love Mao but I'd rather have this mess up occur at Worlds, because I want Yu-na to have a world title) I may though support Mao for the Olympic Title because she does more technically but I want both girls to at least have the world title.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
Here I go...

Men
Gosh this one's hard. No clear cut front runners with this one.
1. Joubert or Weir (Who knows? It could be either or neither)
2. Patrick Chan (He's had a great season so far, and I think he can medal here.)
3. Takahiko Kozuka (Ditto for waht I said about Chan)

Ladies
1. Yu-Na Kim (She's been dominant all season, so I expect nothing less)
2.Joannie Rochette (She's looked amazing all season, so I put here up here.)
3. Mao Asada (I know she was great at NHK, but I just can't warm up to her programs this year, and she seems a little less consistant than usual)

Pairs
1. Savchenko/Szolkowy GER
2. Zhang/Zhang CHN
3. Pang/Tong CHN

Ice Dance
1 Delobel/Schoenfelder FRA
2. Domnina/Shabalin RUS
3. Faiella/Scali ITA

missysays

On the Ice
Men:
G-Kozuka or Chan (I don't know why but I have a feeling that Chan will either win it all or be off the podium completely.)
S-Joubert
B-Abbott

Ladies:
G-Kim
S-Asada
B-Rochette

Pairs:
G-Sav/Szol
S-Zhang/Zhang
B-Vol/Morozov

Ice Dance:
G-Belbin/Agosto (Because their TES will outscore their major competitors and they will get this Gold because they won't get it at Worlds.)
S-Del/Scho
B-Dom/Shab or Khok/Nov if Shabs knee does him in again.

~tapdancer

On the Ice
I only care about ice dance...

Here's my predictions but based completely on solid, clean ODs and FDs from every couple (is that too much to ask?)

1 - D/S - Russians
2 - D/S - French
3 - D/W
4 - K/N
5 - B/A
6 - F/S

I know I'm dreaming but that's how I see it...