Program Moments You Didn't See Coming | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Program Moments You Didn't See Coming

charlotte14

Medalist
I have to admit I didn’t expect to see Bruno walking out of PC ice rink safe and sound. I was afraid Alyona would finish him off if she didn’t win that gold. So the moment I did not see it coming was that they actually went clean at the Olympics.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Okay, so Julian Yee's entire Nebelhorn Ex last season seemed to have been choreographed on the fly, throwing everything but the kitchen sink in there :laugh2:. And he definitely has an awesome sense of humour. I hope that he gets invited to more galas in the future as he rises up the ranks :).

If you haven't see it, watch from the beginning, each parody gets funnier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6d5_nOt3ZI

And many unexpected moments but this one stands out:

Julian Yee's "Heartbeat" Cantilever (Unexpected Body Movement): https://youtu.be/-6d5_nOt3ZI?t=184

Nika09

On the Ice
16 y.o. Oksana Bayul, losing some points during program but then adding 2A+2T at the last seconds of her LP, which let her become an 1994 Olympic Champion.

Henni147

Final Flight
Probably Yuzuru's Ina Bauer into a YOLO Triple Axel as the last jump at 2017 4CC for the free skate.
Yep, that final YOLO 3A was so shocking that J4 gave him zero GOE for it :laugh:

I want to add Yuzu's career-flashback-marathon in his show Continues with Wings.
Especially for fans who know his programs by heart (even novice and junior) it was so amazing to watch the "remastered versions" with all the new little details and improvements. Just mindblowing.

Here are some nice SBS comparisons between then and now:
2009 vs. 2018 Mission Impossible JSP
2011 vs. 2018 Zigeunerweisen FS
2011 vs. 2018 Etude SP
2012 vs. 2018 Romeo & Juliet FS 1.0

What you didn't see coming:
1. That Yuzu would skate at all (since his rehab had just begun)
2. It was really unexpected that his 7-8 year old costumes still fit him :laugh2:
3. You didn't know until the very end which programs and music cuts he chose
4. Yuzu managed to re-skate 9 different programs from novice to senior within three days
5. He entertained the crowd over 20 minutes without a single jump

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Okay, so Julian Yee's entire Nebelhorn Ex last season seemed to have been choreographed on the fly, throwing everything but the kitchen sink in there :laugh2:. And he definitely has an awesome sense of humour. I hope that he gets invited to more galas in the future as he rises up the ranks :).

I think I have found a new hero, thank you!!!!

I want to add Yuzu's career-flashback-marathon in his show Continues with Wings.
Especially for fans who know his programs by heart (even novice and junior) it was so amazing to watch the "remastered versions" with all the new little details and improvements. Just mindblowing.

Here are some nice SBS comparisons between then and now:
2009 vs. 2018 Mission Impossible JSP
2011 vs. 2018 Zigeunerweisen FS
2011 vs. 2018 Etude SP
2012 vs. 2018 Romeo & Juliet FS 1.0

What you didn't see coming:
1. That Yuzu would skate at all (since his rehab had just begun)
2. It was really unexpected that his 7-8 year old costumes still fit him :laugh2:
3. You didn't know until the very end which programs and music cuts he chose
4. Yuzu managed to re-skate 9 different programs from novice to senior within three days
5. He entertained the crowd over 20 minutes without a single jump

The massed audience shriek when he appeared in the Zigeunerweisen costume for the first of these - oh wow, I wouldn't be surprised if ears were ringing. And yes, that he still fit in those early costumes (mind you, given that he was a fraction late for his own finale the second day and still buttoning up his shirtsleeves, I think peeling the Etude one off took longer than expected :laugh:)

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Maybe some posters who went to Milan and watched the FD could comment but Anna and Luca was understandably emotional during what could be their last competitive performance, in front of a home crowd. The whole last minute was quite intense but the moment that I realized how special this occasion was for them is right after the dismount of the last lift, with a pause in the music, seeing the expression on Anna's face as she glides facing Luca:

https://youtu.be/SXKaVOybK88?t=1457

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

If you haven't see it, watch from the beginning, each parody gets funnier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6d5_nOt3ZI

And many unexpected moments but this one stands out:

Julian Yee's "Heartbeat" Cantilever (Unexpected Body Movement): https://youtu.be/-6d5_nOt3ZI?t=184

OMG, that was hilarious! I love it!

That cantilever was amaaaaazing.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
Plushenko's Moonlight Sonata #2005MoscowWorlds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iHS9Dt1qp0

Most notably the "Look of defiance" toward the judges before his final spin
But also the shock of his fall on that Quad still resonates for me,
Something about the audience reaction i guess...
Plus that straight line step sequence is probably the best he's ever done
So a very eventful performance ;)

pandatours

On the Ice
I know it was not well liked but Laura Lecavelier’s costume change in her Grease program was A MOMENT the first time I saw it happen

madforskating

On the Ice
The moment in Meagan Duhamel/Eric Radford's 2014 GPF gala program to "Say Something" when he grabbed her by her feet and swung her around (kinda like the Pamchenko from the Cutting Edge movie!). It was the first time I ever saw something that crazy in skating. Also honorable mention to the spot in Stolbova/Klimov's Addams Family program when she hangs upside down with her head an inch from the ice and he goes "look Ma, no hands!" lol

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Plushenko's Moonlight Sonata #2005MoscowWorlds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iHS9Dt1qp0

Most notably the "Look of defiance" toward the judges before his final spin
But also the shock of his fall on that Quad still resonates for me,
Something about the audience reaction i guess...
Plus that straight line step sequence is probably the best he's ever done
So a very eventful performance ;)

He was suffering from hernia. He had sciatic hernias on both sides then. He needed to withdraw and some days later he was operated in Germany. The doctor said: clam down you will be OG champion in Torino. I adore the footwork, too.

Shedi0806

On the Ice
Virtue/ Moir - Ina Bauer/Spiral Combo at 2018 Nats FD (Unexpected combo of moves in the field): https://youtu.be/hO2xBr5EmSo?t=247

I knew they were changing the second half of their MR FD but didn't expect them to incorporate this move (I think it's a new move from them). Probably my favourite change, more unexpected than the change in choreo lift, and it's placed perfectly with the music to create an uplifting highlight.

OMG, the first time I've seen that I thought that was so exquisite and really created a moment that they needed. I believe that was at the nationals practice and I was watching the stream. That was the first time I saw how this could win the Olympics, they looked so confident and calm.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
I know it was not well liked but Laura Lecavelier’s costume change in her Grease program was A MOMENT the first time I saw it happen

Definitely well liked :agree:, people including commentators raved out how ingenious it was (Though I think the complaints were more related to the initial costume before the change)

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
OMG, the first time I've seen that I thought that was so exquisite and really created a moment that they needed. I believe that was at the nationals practice and I was watching the stream. That was the first time I saw how this could win the Olympics, they looked so confident and calm.

I think that for non-regular FS audience their Carmen lift (aka 'the crotch lift') could be a moment they did not see coming, because the movement was kind of too unexpected, to see a partner jumping backwards onto the other one's arms on ice. It just electrified the audience in PC gauging the reaction;). Speaking of their lifts - I also think that 'Goose lift' introduced in 2008/09 season quite late (Tessa's surgery) was not that expected move to perform; another example of non-standard treatment they've done on an element was original twizzles sequence in circle, opposite each other (1st set) in their 2010/11 Latin FD (at least performed at 4CC when they have withdrawn).

Writing this, I kind of just thought about Torino Olympics performances I've binge-watched this past weekend - and boy, how unexpected were all these falls in OD segment in ID?! Dubreuil/Lauzon, Fusar-Poli-Margaglio, Denkova/Staviski's botched spin, Drobiazko/Vanagas...But we have iconic Barbara Stare instead:laugh:

Shedi0806

On the Ice
I think that for non-regular FS audience their Carmen lift (aka 'the crotch lift') could be a moment they did not see coming, because the movement was kind of too unexpected, to see a partner jumping backwards onto the other one's arms on ice. It just electrified the audience in PC gauging the reaction;). Speaking of their lifts - I also think that 'Goose lift' introduced in 2008/09 season quite late (Tessa's surgery) was not that expected move to perform; another example of non-standard treatment they've done on an element was original twizzles sequence in circle, opposite each other (1st set) in their 2010/11 Latin FD (at least performed at 4CC when they have withdrawn).

Writing this, I kind of just thought about Torino Olympics performances I've binge-watched this past weekend - and boy, how unexpected were all these falls in OD segment in ID?! Dubreuil/Lauzon, Fusar-Poli-Margaglio, Denkova/Staviski's botched spin, Drobiazko/Vanagas...But we have iconic Barbara Stare instead:laugh:

Just to continue my admiration for Moulin Rouge, the first time they touch is in a lift. That first stationary lift is incredible as well and often overlooked because they have so many risky elements.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker