Project Runway Season 13 | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Project Runway Season 13

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Getting down to the best designers, :laugh: although I do think Kinni is amazing!! Can anyone explain how Amanda is still there???

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Getting down to the best designers, :laugh: although I do think Kinni is amazing!! Can anyone explain how Amanda is still there???

I think it's because she was brought back by viewer voting. She was lucky to have squeaked through last night IMO. She seemed to have a good idea re: creating new patterns within the stripes. I liked the way she was trying to angle them but she couldn't seem to pull it off -- if she had, the dress would have looked great in a sort of preppy, J Crew/Talbots way. Unfortunately, the end result had more of a junior high Home Ec project vibe. If you're going to go for those mitred (sp???) corners, everything has to be spot-on perfect: stripes/patterns must line up and seems have to lay absolutely straight & flat. It wasn't happening and she ended up with K-mart instead of (semi) couture.

Still, she was going for something even though the execution fell short; I think that's why she's still alive.

Alexander's original look was positively scary. Couldn't believe when Tim, who is ordinarily the soul of tact and kindness, came right out and called it "butt-ugly." But sheesh, he was right. :eek: It helped when Alexander got rid of that other oddly-patterned fabric, but not enough to save the outfit.

And what the bleep happened to the zipper in Char's look? My guess is that if they'd been using their usual models instead of "real" women, Tim wouldn't have cut her any slack at all. Lots of sloppy construction in the bottom 3, which bugs me no end. OK, OK, this isn't "Project Seamstress/Tailoring" but how about some basic sewing skills?

Well, that's quite enough crabbing for one post...once again, my favorites were Kini & Sean and I was actually hoping Sean would get the win even though he continues to rub me the wrong way for some reason. Also liked Emily's look -- it was weird but she stayed true to it and made it work and I thought her model looked terrific in it. :agree:

What is it about Korinna that makes me want to smack her? :bang: :scratch:

Thanks for letting me rant!

Layfan

Record Breaker
I think Tim did some quick thinking and did the right thing with Char's zipper problem. He couldn't let that poor woman go down the runway like that and asking the other designers was a good idea - even if they sort of didn't have any choice. As for whether it was fair, if the other designers are confident in their designs they shouldn't wish for another contestant to go out on a last-minute mishap. I was glad Zach said "zippers break, it happens."

I didn't see anything great from Alexander this competition but Char has shown promise so I am not surprised he went home. I really liked Char's look from the last challenge and I thought it was a little bit more imaginative than Kini's. However, this challenge made me think about who I would want to design for me if I were random person pulled off the park - and I have to admit I'd want it to be Kini! so that says a lot.

I wonder if the judges even noticed that all the designers went for the prettiest people they could find in that park. Sorry, but there really no makeovers at all in the challenge. All the clients were already good looking and already had style, for random people. Sean even rejected a girl for being too short. I guess it must be daunting to have to design for a non-model but I found that so off-putting. I was half hoping he wouldn't be able to find anyone.

louisa05

Final Flight
I think Tim did some quick thinking and did the right thing with Char's zipper problem. He couldn't let that poor woman go down the runway like that and asking the other designers was a good idea - even if they sort of didn't have any choice. As for whether it was fair, if the other designers are confident in their designs they shouldn't wish for another contestant to go out on a last-minute mishap. I was glad Zach said "zippers break, it happens."

I didn't see anything great from Alexander this competition but Char has shown promise so I am not surprised he went home. I really liked Char's look from the last challenge and I thought it was a little bit more imaginative than Kini's. However, this challenge made me think about who I would want to design for me if I were random person pulled off the park - and I have to admit I'd want it to be Kini! so that says a lot.

I wonder if the judges even noticed that all the designers went for the prettiest people they could find in that park. Sorry, but there really no makeovers at all in the challenge. All the clients were already good looking and already had style, for random people. Sean even rejected a girl for being too short. I guess it must be daunting to have to design for a non-model but I found that so off-putting. I was half hoping he wouldn't be able to find anyone.

Give them a full week and they may not have been so picky. But you have two days and you are accustomed to designing on the fly for one specific model (and only one until the children's challenge last week--no model swapping nonsense anymore). I don't think they are being mean but really trying to maximize their own chances to win.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
^^^ :yes: :agree:

Agree 100%, Layfan! And yes, I also noticed that all the models were definitely above average in the looks department. On one hand it's hard to blame the designers b/c they're already working in a stressful situation. Designing for a woman with (ahem) figure challenges just makes it that much tougher. However, as someone who's struggled w/ weight issues all my life, I did find that pretty tough to take.

Several seasons ago (sorry, can't remember exactly) there was a "real woman" challenge that ended up being terribly painful. Does that sound familiar? IIRC, the models were the designers' mothers and one of the moms ended up in tears b/c the designer she was paired with was just horrible to her. The mom wasn't easy to work with -- she had a rather petulant personality as well as being overweight -- but the designer's snippy attitude made things that much worse. No way he would have gotten away with that if she'd been a wealthy paying client.

Aha...like the song says, it's all coming back to me......the snippy designer may have been Jeffrey Sebelia, who won Season 2. If so, that was MUCH longer ago than I thought!

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Aha...like the song says, it's all coming back to me......the snippy designer may have been Jeffrey Sebelia, who won Season 2. If so, that was MUCH longer ago than I thought!

I found this comment about Jeffrey

He had been portrayed as the third season's "villain," notorious for his explicit language and making fellow contestant Angela Keslar's mother cry, but fellow contestants like Alison Kelly have disputed this, saying he was far nicer than the program's editing indicated.[1] Also, in an interview, Angela Keslar acknowledged that Sebelia apologized to her for various incidents between the two, but the apologies were never aired.

skatedreamer said:
What is it about Korinna that makes me want to smack her?

Can I add Amanda to that list?? :laugh:

skatedreamer said:
Also liked Emily's look -- it was weird but she stayed true to it and made it work and I thought her model looked terrific in it.
I was kind of hoping that Emily would have won. Soooo much work and as you said her model loved it!!!

heyang

Record Breaker
Several seasons ago (sorry, can't remember exactly) there was a "real woman" challenge that ended up being terribly painful. Does that sound familiar? IIRC, the models were the designers' mothers and one of the moms ended up in tears b/c the designer she was paired with was just horrible to her. The mom wasn't easy to work with -- she had a rather petulant personality as well as being overweight -- but the designer's snippy attitude made things that much worse. No way he would have gotten away with that if she'd been a wealthy paying client.

I thought he won season 3 - only because Mycheal Knight said he didn't make it to the final selection of designers for season 2..... but yes, Jeffrey made Angela's mother cry. He was a jerk to her and made her a butt ugly dress.

A lot of other boards are saying that it wasn't fair that Char was saved a 2nd time by Tim. She might've gone home if that zipper hadn't been fixed. He really did put the other designers on the spot by asking them all as a group on camera at the last minute. The fair thing to do would've been to let ALL of the designers have another ten minutes - some of them might've been able to touch up their tailoring.

While I understand why Alexander was sent home, I thought Char's design this week was the adult version of Sandya's American Girl outfit. Both were basic jumpsuits with awkward peplums.

I really wish Tim had saved Fade, instead of Char.

Some of the contestants have looked forward to designing for real women - ie. Korto. WHile I understand that it's easier to design for a model figure, some of them are sportswear designers and you would think that they would realize that most of their consumers are real women......

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I thought he won season 3 - only because Mycheal Knight said he didn't make it to the final selection of designers for season 2..... but yes, Jeffrey made Angela's mother cry. He was a jerk to her and made her a butt ugly dress.

A lot of other boards are saying that it wasn't fair that Char was saved a 2nd time by Tim. She might've gone home if that zipper hadn't been fixed. He really did put the other designers on the spot by asking them all as a group on camera at the last minute. The fair thing to do would've been to let ALL of the designers have another ten minutes - some of them might've been able to touch up their tailoring.

While I understand why Alexander was sent home, I thought Char's design this week was the adult version of Sandya's American Girl outfit. Both were basic jumpsuits with awkward peplums.

Some of the contestants have looked forward to designing for real women - ie. Korto. WHile I understand that it's easier to design for a model figure, some of them are sportswear designers and you would think that they would realize that most of their consumers are real women......

The thing with the "Real Women" challenge is that the tallest, thinnest of the women always wins. Though in this case, I would agree that Korina deserved it. And add me to the queue of people who want to give her a smack.

My goodness it is a charisma-free season, isn't it. The finale is going to be a MAJOR snoozefest.

louisa05

Final Flight

As Heidi asked last season, who is not real? Are the models robotic? How come I never heard that robotic technology had advanced to a place where models that actually look like flesh and blood humans can be produced and even fluidly walk a runway? Anyone have links to when and how this happened?

I HATE that phrase. Talk about slamming an entire population of women that don't weigh enough, for whatever reason, to meet the arbitrary definition of "real". What are they "fake" or "artificial"? Is there a reason we can't say "average" or "typical" or just call them "non-models"? Do we have to designate them as somehow more valid and human by using the word "real"?

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Heyang, I think there is a reason Tim did this...and for some reason I think it was Char's model who broke the zipper. Some of those invisible zippers are sooooo flimsy and I think the model may have jerked the zipper. The only thing that bothered me was it looked as if Char put the zipper in from the waist down to the leg, why?? I don't know if you noticed her model's walk, it was very jerky. The other thing I noticed was one leg of the short was shorter than the other.

I do too.

Even if you're thin I would imagine you would still have to adjust for various body parts.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
heyang, thanks for the correction re: Jeffrey. I thought he was really imaginative and deserved to win, but he sure could be arrogant at times. At least he had the talent to back up his egotism (and there's a helluva fine line between arrogance and healthy self-confidence).

Dee4747, so glad to know that he did apologize to Angela & her mother. Even though they both got on my last nerve, IMO they didn't deserve the snark they got from him.

And yes, I wish Tim had saved Fade, too.

A lot of posts on TLo and elsewhere are saying that Char probably cut the zipper by mistake but should have known how to repair it, possibly by stitching it across the bottom or something. IDK...don't really know enough about invisible zippers to say. Still, it would have been a lot fairer if all the other designers had been given another 10 min. Tim wasn't thinking on his feet IMO.

Char really blew her "nice gal" image this week. Yes, it was an insanely stressful situation but blaming her model for the problem made everything so much worse.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
OMG, the drama. :popcorn:

I've got a humongously bad case of schadenfreude and am quite simply ashamed of myself. :disapp:

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OMG, the drama. :popcorn:

I've got a humongously bad case of schadenfreude and am quite simply ashamed of myself. :disapp:

What does schadenfreude mean??

This was real life drama...!!! What was your take on the outcome??

Interspectator

Record Breaker

It means feeling happy at someone's misfortunes. Sort of an uncontrollable reaction. Like laughing at those youtube videos of people falling over. I feel it all the time...and then feel bad. :biggrin:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Alexander won Fan Favorite AGAIN this week, even after being eliminated last week.

Bwahahahahahahahahahaha

If that doesn't sum up this whackadoo season of Product Goaway, I don't know what would.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States

Back and forth and all over the map and back again. Much as I loathed Korinna, she did produce consistently better stuff than Char (even though I didn't always like the designs). In the sew-off, Char was very smart to stick to a simple design and let the drop-dead gorgeous color do all the "talking." She was also lucky to have had Sean's help w/ the sewing -- not sure she could have pulled that off by herself.

Korinna's sew-off piece would have been great if it had been executed better. It didn't look that complicated but was still too much to do well in only 1 hour. Maybe Kini could have done it, but only Kini and I'm not even sure about him.

IMO, Emily's comment about Korinna shooting herself in the foot by holding on to her anger was spot-on. If she'd managed to keep a lid on it for a little while longer (tough to do under even the best circumstances) she might have been more realistic about the limitations of the sew-off and come up with a better garment. As it is, she got all caught up in "I'm going to show that @##$$%" and her emotions lost the challenge for her.

Again, just my opinion. How about you? BTW, on the off-chance that you haven't read Tom & Lorenzo yet, they made some really good points, especially re: editing & producer manipulation.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Back and forth and all over the map and back again. Much as I loathed Korinna, she did produce consistently better stuff than Char (even though I didn't always like the designs). In the sew-off, Char was very smart to stick to a simple design and let the drop-dead gorgeous color do all the "talking." She was also lucky to have had Sean's help w/ the sewing -- not sure she could have pulled that off by herself.

Korinna's sew-off piece would have been great if it had been executed better. It didn't look that complicated but was still too much to do well in only 1 hour. Maybe Kini could have done it, but only Kini and I'm not even sure about him.

IMO, Emily's comment about Korinna shooting herself in the foot by holding on to her anger was spot-on. If she'd managed to keep a lid on it for a little while longer (tough to do under even the best circumstances) she might have been more realistic about the limitations of the sew-off and come up with a better garment. As it is, she got all caught up in "I'm going to show that @##$$%" and her emotions lost the challenge for her.

Again, just my opinion. How about you? BTW, on the off-chance that you haven't read Tom & Lorenzo yet, they made some really good points, especially re: editing & producer manipulation.

Oh TLo are DEAD ON about that episode. I don't like Korinna as a person--she goes out of her way to offend--but she was TOTALLY used by the producers in a completely shameless manner. If she does indeed walk out in the next ep as it looks like she does in the preview, then I wouldn't blame her one bit.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
I've been thinking that the sew-off would have made more sense if they'd asked Korinna & Char to re-work the pieces they'd already produced for the challenge, which would have been more do-able in 60 min. If K & C (ouch, kiss 'n cry... :laugh:) had been made to do that w/o help, it might have been more representative of their capabilities. OTOH since they'd already been critiqued, maybe not so much.

It wasn't until reading TLo this morning that I realized how much I'd let myself get sucked in by the editing. :bang: Never had a clue, although I was so disgusted by the whole thing that I didn't even bother to watch the "clean up your space" bit and the preview.

heyang

Record Breaker
As others have mentioned, is PR a designer show or a seamstress show. Of course, it's best to have both skills, but at some point a designer does very little actual sewing. To be successful, you have to be able to work with other people as a team and be a leader. You also have to be able to manage time, deal with customers, etc. Designers form the base vision but need to be open to the suggestions of others without allowing that other person's vision to take over.

Anyway, as long as the idea was Char's or Korina's, it was a properly executed challenge.