Questions on ice skating | Golden Skate

Questions on ice skating

milkslushie

Spectator
hello everyone, sorry if this is the wrong forum to post in i'm just so excited right now I need to talk to people who can help me on a few things !! I just found this site and i'm ecstatic because I have approximately 300,000,000,000,000 questions ! omg !!

FIRST here's some info about me that might help for you to see what you have to deal with here: I am 16 years old at the moment and a girl! I'm tall AND chubby, it's horrible LOL. Specifics: my weight atm is 265 pounds ;; I'm 5'11 aaaugh. I'm working on my weight though, don't worry!! I was 285 last month.. I've been cutting a LOT of bad stuff out of my diet and exercise everyday (running, some crossfit elements, and a LOT of squats and leg lifting workouts + stretches). I'm hoping to get to 250 by the end of january at least, then work my way down slowly to 180 lb throughout the year!!

so here's my story so far: I went ice skating for the first time last sunday. Let me tell you, it was super fun (even if I was wobbly !! I only held onto the wall for half of the two hour session, yay!). I also went again today just earlier, this time with a few friends who're also new like me! We live in san diego so theres a couple rinks laying around :~). Today I didn't hold onto the wall at all, I was slowly skating along with my friend who held onto it for dear life because I don't want to just leave her !! I can glide forward like any person on ice, but I felt like it was similar to rollerskating back in my 13-14 year old days. Knees bent, making a V and picking up your legs to glide forward, right? Ah yea, I used to rollerskate (not rollerblade, mind you!!) and I can confidently glide around the local roller rink in my own rollerskates, even lift a leg up if I concentrate hard enough!!!! ANYWAY, I'm going back to the ice rink this upcoming friday, and hopefully more in the future. It's just so fun guys, I can't explain it?? I know I'm really sucky at it, but I love how cold the air is and how much easier it is to move and curve directions than on my rollerskates (although the amount of ease on those made me fall a few times hehe, on rollerskates you have to put more effort i feel.. so i end up putting too much?? Aah i dont know). I see younger kids, probably ages 8-10 doing these amazing spins and jumps in the center of the rink and I just can't rip my eyes off of them because it's so amazing that they have so much dedication. They probably worked so hard to get to that level and it sorta discourages me because I'm already 16, turning 17 in january.. But I don't feel bitter, I feel like It's something I'd want to do too!! Spins and jumps that is. I know I'll have a really hard time with crossovers, even though thats like the most basic move in skating right?? I still can't do that on my rollers.. but now that we know the story behind this post, let's move onto the Q's !!

Do you think I might be too old to start skating with the hopes of being able to spins or jumps ;;

Or might I be too heavy to even think about that sorta thing?? This has been on my mind a lot, i know most figure skaters in general are very thin and lean but I just adore the sport and how artistic it looks..

ALSO :~0 !! I read into a few other sites but I'm so clueless?? Some kept saying that for heavier skaters that even if theyre beginners, they need stiffer boots to properly support them: is this true? Some recommended were jacksons classiques but that already sounds intimidating because of the name,, LOL guys I really have no clue what I'm talking abouttt aaa I'm hoping to get some responses to help me out ;; I want to get into figure skating slowly, but I need to learn how to do crossovers and even stopping!! sighs :~(

I wear rentals because I just started going but I don't think they fit too well on me.. I tried my normal shoe size (a womens size 10) but I could still feel some space in my boots right? I stepped on ice and my ankles rolled in so hard I had to keep my hands on the wall!! I tried so hard to make that 'V' shape with my knees bent but my feet just kept dipping inwards. So I got off the ice and went to get a size 9 in hopes of it feeling better (and it did! yay!). My toes feathered the tips of the skates and i felt much better on ice. My ankles weren't rolling in and I could actually start moving forward without being so stiff :~). HOWEVER :( is this me just overreacting ?? It might be.. It probably is ?? But my feet started to ache within the 30 minute mark of the session and that kinda made me sad because it's fun skating around.. I'm hoping it's just my feet not used to the skates?

AH also, my birthday is coming up soon and I'm going to ask for my first pair of ice skates ! excited noises ! I heard that having your own skates is different from rentals (ankles rolling in, not being able to skate straight?? probably just me again lol) but I'm wanting to go get fitted like everyone else :~) I don't know what I should be looking for though, since I've read mixed opinions on new skates because of my weight and the stiffness level?? yikes! I will say that my feet are a bit on the wider side if that helps :0

I'm also going to ask for skate classes at the local ice rink!

sorry for such a long post everyone, I just really need some tips or comments on what I should do or think about, or If I shouldn't do anything!!

thank you so much for reading :'~) and happy almost holidays!!

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Take a deep breath. I know you're excited and that's great, and I know the feeling, but that is a lotta big paragraphs and hard to read! :yay:

Let's see if I can extract your questions.

my weight atm is 265 pounds ;; I'm 5'11 aaaugh. I'm working on my weight though, don't worry!! I was 285 last month.. I've been cutting a LOT of bad stuff out of my diet and exercise everyday

That's great that you're working on your weight. Please don't overdo it though. Exercising every day is not great for you because it overworks you. Even the elite athletes take rest days (or "recovery" days if that's how you want to think about it). Also, don't cut out everything you love. Nothing wrong with a bit of chocolate here and there, for example.

I know I'm really sucky at it, but I love how cold the air is and how much easier it is to move and curve directions than on my rollerskates (although the amount of ease on those made me fall a few times hehe, on rollerskates you have to put more effort i feel.. so i end up putting too much?? Aah i dont know).

You're not "really sucky". You were able to go around without holding on on your second go. That's pretty good. And you seem to understand the proper basic stroking technique, which is also very good. :hap10:

Do you think I might be too old to start skating with the hopes of being able to spins or jumps ;;

My dear, I was eight years older than you are now when I started skating. I'm sitting here tonight resting after a rather intense jump training session a few hours ago. Nearly got that Lutz around today. :hap57:

Or might I be too heavy to even think about that sorta thing?? This has been on my mind a lot, i know most figure skaters in general are very thin and lean but I just adore the sport and how artistic it looks..

Nonsense. I was 230lbs at 5'8" landing single jumps. Sure, it's not great for the knees, but it's doable. As for "most figure skaters in general" - that's also a nonsense. The high-level ones are lean and muscular, yes, but at the lower levels, the recreational levels, the adult levels, it's all shapes and sizes. :hap85:

ome kept saying that for heavier skaters that even if theyre beginners, they need stiffer boots to properly support them: is this true? Some recommended were jacksons classiques but that already sounds intimidating because of the name,,

For me, this is true. I wear quite stiff boots because tall and heavy. Classiques are a standard beginner skate from Jackson and are nothing to be intimidated by. They would probably be quite suitable for you. Make sure you go into a real shop if you can and get fitted by someone properly trained to fit skates. I could recommend a skate off the top of my head, but it might not be comfortable or suitable for you. I will say, if you end up getting a boot separate from the blade, I cannot recommend Coronation Aces highly enough as a blade. :cool14:

I wear rentals because I just started going but I don't think they fit too well on me.. I tried my normal shoe size (a womens size 10) but I could still feel some space in my boots right? I stepped on ice and my ankles rolled in so hard I had to keep my hands on the wall!! I tried so hard to make that 'V' shape with my knees bent but my feet just kept dipping inwards. So I got off the ice and went to get a size 9 in hopes of it feeling better (and it did! yay!).

As you've now guessed, skates don't match shoe sizes. Also, rental skates are generally awful. It can definitely contribute to your feet hurting. I would also add that if you were wearing thick socks, you might have been accidentally restricting circulation to your feet, which can also hurt.

AH also, my birthday is coming up soon and I'm going to ask for my first pair of ice skates ! excited noises ! I heard that having your own skates is different from rentals (ankles rolling in, not being able to skate straight?? probably just me again lol) but I'm wanting to go get fitted like everyone else :~) I don't know what I should be looking for though, since I've read mixed opinions on new skates because of my weight and the stiffness level?? yikes! I will say that my feet are a bit on the wider side if that helps

I'm glad that you're going to ask this for your birthday! Please know though that skates can get expensive, so it might be your only birthday gift. Please do go get fitted, it is very important to make sure the skates fit properly. You should talk to the fitter at the pro shop about what they recommend for a beginner like you. Some people will try to spin the old "Jacksons for wide feet, Riedells for narrow feet" myth but I have small narrow feet and am quite happy in my Jacksons. :agree2:

I'm also going to ask for skate classes at the local ice rink!

That's great too! Make sure you pay close attention to demonstrations, and don't be afraid to ask the coach if you need to see it again or need a little help figuring it out. Sometimes different people need to be shown different ways. And make sure you go to practice outside of lesson time, if you can. Work hard on practice sessions, they will be the biggest help. :dance3:

My main suggestions would be that, beyond basic stroking, you should not try and self-teach or learn from youtube or anything like that. It can lead to some really bad habits forming that can be really hard to break. Also, don't forget to buy a pair of blade guards (for walking to the ice) and a pair of soakers (for storage) when you do get your skates.

My other tip is this: you are about to discover a whole new definition of the word "frustration". I thought I was a fairly patient person - until I started learning to skate. There will be days when you will feel like the biggest idiot alive because it just. won't. work. I can promise you, everyone has those days. Keep pushing on, keep pushing through, go to practice, work hard, and you'll do well. Everything in this sport is built with blood, a lot of sweat, and plenty of tears. Don't give up just because it got hard. The challenge is part of the fun. :) :2thumbs:

And welcome to the ice...

uhh

Medalist
Watch videos from Adult international competitions to see how much people of all sorts of ages, shapes & sizes can do on ice! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GK_ErmYSauw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EV1SHCEl4A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RzMZXilhBo

At the age you are starting at, skating like the skaters you see at Worlds won't happen, but you can 100% realistically aim to do single jumps, spins and spirals, and to eventually put it all together in a program.

The most important thing is to invest in a good pair of boots - you really need to go to a shop to get properly fitted, and don't be afraid to try lots of brands until you find the right one.

milkslushie

Spectator
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Take a deep breath. I know you're excited and that's great, and I know the feeling, but that is a lotta big paragraphs and hard to read! :yay:

Let's see if I can extract your questions.

That's great that you're working on your weight. Please don't overdo it though. Exercising every day is not great for you because it overworks you. Even the elite athletes take rest days (or "recovery" days if that's how you want to think about it). Also, don't cut out everything you love. Nothing wrong with a bit of chocolate here and there, for example.

You're not "really sucky". You were able to go around without holding on on your second go. That's pretty good. And you seem to understand the proper basic stroking technique, which is also very good. :hap10:

My dear, I was eight years older than you are now when I started skating. I'm sitting here tonight resting after a rather intense jump training session a few hours ago. Nearly got that Lutz around today. :hap57:

Nonsense. I was 230lbs at 5'8" landing single jumps. Sure, it's not great for the knees, but it's doable. As for "most figure skaters in general" - that's also a nonsense. The high-level ones are lean and muscular, yes, but at the lower levels, the recreational levels, the adult levels, it's all shapes and sizes. :hap85:

For me, this is true. I wear quite stiff boots because tall and heavy. Classiques are a standard beginner skate from Jackson and are nothing to be intimidated by. They would probably be quite suitable for you. Make sure you go into a real shop if you can and get fitted by someone properly trained to fit skates. I could recommend a skate off the top of my head, but it might not be comfortable or suitable for you. I will say, if you end up getting a boot separate from the blade, I cannot recommend Coronation Aces highly enough as a blade. :cool14:

As you've now guessed, skates don't match shoe sizes. Also, rental skates are generally awful. It can definitely contribute to your feet hurting. I would also add that if you were wearing thick socks, you might have been accidentally restricting circulation to your feet, which can also hurt.

I'm glad that you're going to ask this for your birthday! Please know though that skates can get expensive, so it might be your only birthday gift. Please do go get fitted, it is very important to make sure the skates fit properly. You should talk to the fitter at the pro shop about what they recommend for a beginner like you. Some people will try to spin the old "Jacksons for wide feet, Riedells for narrow feet" myth but I have small narrow feet and am quite happy in my Jacksons. :agree2:

That's great too! Make sure you pay close attention to demonstrations, and don't be afraid to ask the coach if you need to see it again or need a little help figuring it out. Sometimes different people need to be shown different ways. And make sure you go to practice outside of lesson time, if you can. Work hard on practice sessions, they will be the biggest help. :dance3:

My main suggestions would be that, beyond basic stroking, you should not try and self-teach or learn from youtube or anything like that. It can lead to some really bad habits forming that can be really hard to break. Also, don't forget to buy a pair of blade guards (for walking to the ice) and a pair of soakers (for storage) when you do get your skates.

My other tip is this: you are about to discover a whole new definition of the word "frustration". I thought I was a fairly patient person - until I started learning to skate. There will be days when you will feel like the biggest idiot alive because it just. won't. work. I can promise you, everyone has those days. Keep pushing on, keep pushing through, go to practice, work hard, and you'll do well. Everything in this sport is built with blood, a lot of sweat, and plenty of tears. Don't give up just because it got hard. The challenge is part of the fun. :) :2thumbs:

And welcome to the ice...

thank you so much aaaah im so glad !! congratz on your lutz training, it seems like a tough move to work on :~0 I'm relieved to hear that it's not too late to start & am looking forward to call in the local skateshop to get fitted soon, hehe ! You mentioned being able to recommend a skate off the top of your head, would that be alright? I definitely like the idea of the classiques now that I've asked a couple skaters about it at the rink today (didn't get to skate though, we just dropped a friend off :sad4:). I honestly cannot wait to start skating with the mind of improving, your reply helped me so much!! I'm also about to start ballet lessons in two weeks so maybe that'll help with flexibility :~0 I'm glad I found this forum :')

milkslushie

Spectator
Watch videos from Adult international competitions to see how much people of all sorts of ages, shapes & sizes can do on ice! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GK_ErmYSauw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EV1SHCEl4A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RzMZXilhBo

At the age you are starting at, skating like the skaters you see at Worlds won't happen, but you can 100% realistically aim to do single jumps, spins and spirals, and to eventually put it all together in a program.

The most important thing is to invest in a good pair of boots - you really need to go to a shop to get properly fitted, and don't be afraid to try lots of brands until you find the right one.

ohmygosh I love these videos, thank you!! Yea, I'm content with the goal of doing single jumps, i know I won't reach hanyu level and that's perfect!! I can't wait to start (^_^) yes!! boots!! will do, thank you so much for the help :'~)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
thank you so much aaaah im so glad !! congratz on your lutz training, it seems like a tough move to work on :~0 I'm relieved to hear that it's not too late to start & am looking forward to call in the local skateshop to get fitted soon, hehe ! You mentioned being able to recommend a skate off the top of your head, would that be alright? I definitely like the idea of the classiques now that I've asked a couple skaters about it at the rink today (didn't get to skate though, we just dropped a friend off :sad4:). I honestly cannot wait to start skating with the mind of improving, your reply helped me so much!! I'm also about to start ballet lessons in two weeks so maybe that'll help with flexibility :~0 I'm glad I found this forum :')

Oh, haha, I meant that as a rhetorical statement. I think the Classiques should be okay for your level, but check with the pro shop.

Ballet lessons aren't necessary if you don't want to take them. While flexibility is good, you can also get by with a minimal amount while you work on it (and I should know).

I'm glad you're looking forward to starting, and I hope it all works out for you! :agree: