Quinn Carpenter Retires from Ice Dance | Golden Skate

Quinn Carpenter Retires from Ice Dance

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Quinn is retiring, according to this Instagram Post.

Upon the close of the 2019-20 season, Quinn has made the decision to retire from competitive ice dance. Our partnership has lasted for a decade and a half, and we would like to say thank you to everyone who has stood by us throughout our journey together. To U.S. Figure Skating, our coaches, our training mates at the Wheaton Ice Skating Academy, and our family and friends, thank you for allowing us to grow up with you. Your endless support and encouragement has meant more than words can say, and we are forever grateful to be blessed with such love for the last 15 years. ⠀

Lorraine plans to continue skating, and we sincerely hope that everyone who helped the two of us will continue to support Lorraine as she further pursues her competitive career.

Between Charlie Bilodeau retiring and S/F moving to Carol Lane, it's been quite the day of news from the North American skating community.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They were my favorite dance team. I mentioned in a different thread that the thing that stings me the most is that I never got to see them skate in person. I hope the future is great for Quinn and that Lorraine finds a new partner and will do well.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
The reality is there are 3 U.S. ice dance spots and (for now) two seasons to make the case for yourself for Beijing. We know who's fighting for those spots at this point, and based on their momentum they had an outside shot. It's a shame because they were a fast and highly technical ice dance team. I strongly believe that after H/D, they were the strongest pure skaters among the top ice dance teams in the U.S. Quinn's injury this past season unfortunately ended up setting them back because they had solid shots for some good Grand Prix finishes, which could've made a big difference going into Nationals.

litenkyckling

Final Flight
I wonder who Lorraine will team up with now? I know she has had the same coaches forever but I imagine Marina could find someone for her and I think she'd do well with her too

FlyingFeather

On the Ice
Nooooo!!!!!!!!!!!:sad21:

This has been quite a day for North American skating, first Bilodeau, then Carpenter retiring, and now S/F moving to Carol Lane!

oly2018

Final Flight
This was really shocking to see. They seemed motivated to come back in the second half of the season. American ice dance is tough at the tough. You basically have to commit to intense training through your twenties and the Olympic team still may not happen. I don't know who Lorraine can pair up with, but I hope she can find someone at her level if she wants to continue.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
We will neverknow the real reason why Quinn retired or for that matter Charlie or the move to Carol Lane for S/F - who I thin are panicking a bit. Only God really knows what is going on in those heads. Lets hope Quinn and Lorraine and for that matter all those dealing with change will find their bliss.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I've commented on this elsewhere, but will add one more, I hope, thought provoking comment: this is another sign that there just very well may be a curse on winning Junior Worlds.

Just saying....

FlyingFeather

On the Ice
In terms of standings in US Ice Dance, H/B will really benefit from this. G/P only have 2 more seasons (assuming all of next season's comps even happen-- it could be 1 1/2) to build international clout, so they are probably not going to be on the Olympic team. C/P are only a threat if they get their citizenship issues resolved. Idk when N/K are moving up to seniors, and we all know its really tough in ID when moving from Junior to Senior. And they also have citizenship issues. M/C had the most chance of surpassing H/B before 2022, so H/B are a whole lot "safer" now. Any teams I am missing in US ID that could take the third spot?

heartyxo

On the Ice
In terms of standings in US Ice Dance, H/B will really benefit from this. G/P only have 2 more seasons (assuming all of next season's comps even happen-- it could be 1 1/2) to build international clout, so they are probably not going to be on the Olympic team. C/P are only a threat if they get their citizenship issues resolved. Idk when N/K are moving up to seniors, and we all know its really tough in ID when moving from Junior to Senior. And they also have citizenship issues. M/C had the most chance of surpassing H/B before 2022, so H/B are a whole lot "safer" now. Any teams I am missing in US ID that could take the third spot?

It's between H/B and G/P now. And TBH, I wouldn't be that surprised if G/P managed it. They did much better than expected in their first season together.
It could go either way though.

dancelion21

On the Ice
I think G/P are going to get that third spot since they had such a strong debut season, and H/B have only looked more vulnerable the longer this quad goes on. M/C were the top contenders for the third spot until he got injured this season and they really struggled afterwards. If C/P somehow get their citizenship sorted, they would be a lock for it, but under the current administration, I don't think it's possible.
Hopefully Lorraine can find a good partner, but I'm not sure if an American ice dance man that skates at her level who is also partner-searching exists.

litenkyckling

Final Flight
I've commented on this elsewhere, but will add one more, I hope, thought provoking comment: this is another sign that there just very well may be a curse on winning Junior Worlds.

Just saying....

you know I was just thinking the exact same thing!

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I think G/P are going to get that third spot since they had such a strong debut season, and H/B have only looked more vulnerable the longer this quad goes on. M/C were the top contenders for the third spot until he got injured this season and they really struggled afterwards. If C/P somehow get their citizenship sorted, they would be a lock for it, but under the current administration, I don't think it's possible.
Hopefully Lorraine can find a good partner, but I'm not sure if an American ice dance man that skates at her level who is also partner-searching exists.

I wouldn't be so sure. G/P 21 points below H/B in the 2020 US Natls. results. I have to admit I like them though and pretty impressive results for a first-year partnership.

kmw227

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I wouldn't be so sure. G/P 21 points below H/B in the 2020 US Natls. results. I have to admit I like them though and pretty impressive results for a first-year partnership.

IIRC, G/P also had a fall in the FD. They would have been much closer to H/B if that hadn't happened.

chameleon

On the Ice
It's worth noting for the sake of argument that teams can have strong debuts and then run out of steam. Additionally, this forced break, however long it lasts, while rough on everybody, is going to be harder on teams that don't have years of muscle memory and foundation. Of course, with how quickly Green/Parsons came together and having had the same coaches and thus technique from the beginning, that may be less of an issue for them than other young teams.

I'm incredibly sad about Lorraine and Quinn. The length of their partnership was just so evident in everything they did. I don't know if there's anyway Lorraine can find a partner as good as Quinn. I'm not sure that USFS would release her, although it's possible. I hope I get to see her on the ice again, and I'm glad to hear that Quinn will be coaching.