2023-24 US Ice Dance | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2023-24 US Ice Dance

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I believe this result justifies the USFSA’s decision to send Bratti/Somerville to Worlds instead of Green/Parsons. Did someone mention that Parsons is recovering from an injury? That would explain a lot.
Hmm, but mayhap Zingas/ Kolesnik should have been given the nod for Worlds and Bratti/ Somerville sent to 4CCs, in order to gradually build up their confidence in dealing with the stress of major competitions. Not an easy decision obviously, under the dictates of the sport's competitive structure. While Zingas/ Kolesnik are also young, at least Kolesnik has proven prior top results under pressure as a World junior champion. Z/K's sophomore year was not as stellar as expected, but I would have given them the nod for Worlds over B/S, especially if the thinking was that G/P would possibly lose ground at Worlds (with Parsons dealing with an injury).

It seems to me that, in part, B/S were sent to Worlds as a substitute for G/P in order to support the hoped-for success of MIDA. So far, the program choices made for G/P haven't been as successful as the modern dance aesthetic they had developed under their former coaches. Perhaps it was too much pressure if G/P were expected to make a seamless transition to being MIDA's top flagship team, which may have been U. S. fed's envisioning.

ETA:
I'm sorry to hear about Emilea Zingas' health complications, mentioned earlier in this thread. I hope Emilea & Vadym will have a healing and productive off-season and come back strong!

Last edited:

chameleon

On the Ice
Hmm, but mayhap Zingas/ Kolesnik should have been given the nod for Worlds and Bratti/ Somerville sent to 4CCs, in order to gradually build up their confidence in dealing with the stress of major competitions. Not an easy decision obviously, under the dictates of the sport's competitive structure. While Zingas/ Kolesnik are also young, at least Kolesnik has proven prior top results under pressure as a World junior champion. Z/K's sophomore year was not as stellar as expected, but I would have given them the nod for Worlds over B/S, especially if the thinking was that G/P would possibly lose ground at Worlds (with Parsons dealing with an injury).

It seems to me that, in part, B/S were sent to Worlds as a substitute for G/P in order to support the hoped-for success of MIDA. So far, the program choices made for G/P haven't been as successful as the modern dance aesthetic they had developed under their former coaches. Perhaps it was too much pressure if G/P were expected to make a seamless transition to being MIDA's top flagship team, which may have been U. S. fed's envisioning.

ETA:
I'm sorry to hear about Emilea Zingas' health complications, mentioned earlier in this thread. I hope Emilea & Vadym will have a healing and productive off-season and come back strong!
They couldn't send Bratti/Somerville to 4CC due to the timing meaning they had to select the team ahead of time so everyone could get visas. If it had been a normal year B/S would have absolutely gotten 4CC, but as it was they didn't even make the alternates list. Z/K had such a poor nationals it took them out of consideration for the world team, they only got 4CC redemption because C/B pulled out. USFS was essentially faced with a choice on whether to reward a strong Nationals performance or not.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
They couldn't send Bratti/Somerville to 4CC due to the timing meaning they had to select the team ahead of time so everyone could get visas.
Oh yes. I forgot about that conundrum this year for 4CCs selection. Right, that makes a bit of sense, now. Too bad things did not work out better.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I don't agree. Emily Bratti/Ian Somerville's skates at nationals were magical, and properly rewarded. And see @chameleon 's post for further clarification.
Yeah, B/S skated beautifully at Nationals. I did forget about the early selection process for 4CCs (which tied the fed's hands). Anyway, I thought B/S going to Worlds was earned. It's too bad for Ian's fluke fall. I suppose they will use it as a learning experience, and move forward. The fact B/S deserved the Worlds assignment does not negate that U.S. fed wants to support the growth and success of MIDA.

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Programs are being worked on. Some teams are definitely doing 60s twist for RD. Not sure how that will turn out. But they are going there. It's gonna be an interesting season. 'Let's twist again like we did last summer..." 🎶

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Programs are being worked on. Some teams are definitely doing 60s twist for RD. Not sure how that will turn out. But they are going there. It's gonna be an interesting season. 'Let's twist again like we did last summer..." 🎶
Wait, it's 60's theme? DUDE.....can there be a team that skates to a mix of "Hello, I Love You," and "People are Strange?" I've wanted a team to skate to that for 8 years now.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Wait, it's 60's theme? DUDE.....can there be a team that skates to a mix of "Hello, I Love You," and "People are Strange?" I've wanted a team to skate to that for 8 years now.
50's, 60's, 70's is theme, so music from any and all of those decades can be used.

Also, :ot: but if you're a Doors fan, back in 96 Paul Wylie skated to their song "Touch Me" in a pro comp.

Last edited: