Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 47 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

Icey

Record Breaker
One more stupid question: There is this russian pair: Evgenia Tarasova and Vladimir Morozov - they can't be tarasova's daughter and morozov's son, can't they? ^^'

Morozov has a daughter only, Annabelle Nicole, who is I believe around 13 years old. I don't think Tarsova and her husband had any children. The last few years of his life he lived in Germany.

Eclair

Medalist
Thank you all for the answers :) yeah I can't imagine them skating together, that would be like a modern Romeo and Juliet. Would have been fun, though ;)

Meoima

Match Penalty
Thank you all for the answers :) yeah I can't imagine them skating together, that would be like a modern Romeo and Juliet. Would have been fun, though ;)
There would be no way Tat would like her daughter (if she were) to skate with the son of someone has moral issues like Morozov (as she described him). :laugh:

borzaya

Final Flight
One more stupid question: There is this russian pair: Evgenia Tarasova and Vladimir Morozov - they can't be tarasova's daughter and morozov's son, can't they? ^^'

No, these are just very widespread surnames... There are loads and loads of Tarasovs and Morozovs, not only among skaters. :biggrin:
Though it's funny, indeed, that two young skaters with these names happened to be together in a pair. :p

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
There would be no way Tat would like her daughter (if she were) to skate with the son of someone has moral issues like Morozov (as she described him). :laugh:

She doesn't have children, does she? I've tried to find out all about her life because I find her fascinating, but the information in English is rather limited. I know her husband was a pianist who lived in Germany (mostly without her, I guess? :confused:) but I've never seen any mention of a child.

Meoima

Match Penalty
She doesn't have children, does she? I've tried to find out all about her life because I find her fascinating, but the information in English is rather limited. I know her husband was a pianist who lived in Germany (mostly without her, I guess? :confused:) but I've never seen any mention of a child.
I only meant "what if she had a daughter". :) about her having children, I am afraid no.

Icey

Record Breaker
From what I gather, Tat and her husband lived separate lives for quite a few years of their marriage.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Another stupid question for our Russian friends. I have always wanted to know how Russian Surnames work. I love Maria Butyrskaya :bow: and wondered if her Fathers last name was Butyr or Butyrs.

I know Maria Sharapova's Fathers last name is Sharapov so, I guess my question should be which of these are correct. Skaya added or just Aya meaning his name would be Butyrsk.

Thanks in advance.

IcyEdges

Match Penalty
Another stupid question for our Russian friends. I have always wanted to know how Russian Surnames work. I love Maria Butyrskaya :bow: and wondered if her Fathers last name was Butyr or Butyrs.

I know Maria Sharapova's Fathers last name is Sharapov so, I guess my question should be which of these are correct. Skaya added or just Aya meaning his name would be Butyrsk.

Thanks in advance.

There's not much known about her dad, other than he left the family after her little brother was born. Following the rules I would presume his name would have been Butyrsky.

A or aya is added on for the feminine version. :)

starlight97

Final Flight
So the "male Version" und Sotnikova would be Sotnikov, right?
How would it work with Lipnitskaya ? Would her Grandpa be called Lipnitsk ? :)

mrrice

Record Breaker
There's not much known about her dad, other than he left the family after her little brother was born. Following the rules I would presume his name would have been Butyrsky.

A or aya is added on for the feminine version. :)

Thank you. I realize I sound like a stalker but, it's really hard to find information about Maria that isn't in Russian. I speak a couple of languages but, man, Russian is so hard for me to learn. I can say hello, thank you, and couple of other words. However, I could never spell them in Russian. :no:

mrrice

Record Breaker
So the "male Version" und Sotnikova would be Sotnikov, right?
How would it work with Lipnitskaya ? Would her Grandpa be called Lipnitsk ? :)

That's what I thought about Maria. That her surname would be Butyrsk but, I think Butyrsky is a cool name. Ok Russian speakers, this is my last question, I swear.... How come Sotnikova only has an " A " and Lipnitsky has " Aya " added.

Danja

Rinkside
That's what I thought about Maria. That her surname would be Butyrsk but, I think Butyrsky is a cool name. Ok Russian speakers, this is my last question, I swear.... How come Sotnikova only has an " A " and Lipnitsky has " Aya " added.

It depends on a part of speech. If surname is a noun, it is likely to have suffix OV. For male surnames this suffix is at the very end of a word (SotnikOV, MorozOV), but female ones additionally get ending A after suffix OV (SotnikOVA, MorozOVA). If surname is an adjective, the male version gets ending Y (LipnitskY, ButyrskY) and the female version - AYA (LipnitskAYA, ButyrskAYA).

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker

Unless irregular, Russian surnames ending in '-n' or '-v' will only get the '-a' enclitic like Sotnikov-a and Sharapov-a. Russian surnames ending with a '-y' will get the 'aya' enclitic like Lipnitsk(y)-aya.

It has to do with Russian phonetics and what sounds euphonic or whatnot, I guess. There really isn't a reason why, it just is. :laugh:

Polish surnames work the same way. I had an organic chemistry professor 2 years ago who's surname was Slowinska and there was another chemistry professor named Slowinski. I thought it was funny and coincidental how two people with similar surnames were working in the same department until I found out they were married and their surnames change according to gender. Pretty cool, I think.