Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 83 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It was not David doing the pseudo tech panel channel with Cyr. They were introduced. It was his brother Jimmie.

http://www.news-record.com/sports/f...cae-a29d-11e4-8e68-632f970f2ba4.html?mode=jqm

SKATE RADIO: The first 1,000 patrons headed into the coliseum for Thursday's senior pairs competition were handed a box about the size of a pack of cigarettes.

Inside was a small radio with a single, over-the-ear headphone. Each radio has three preset channels: one with live technical explanations on judging from experts Jimmie Santee and Charlie Cyr; one with a live feed from icenetwork.com; and one for a live simulcast of NBC's weekend broadcast featuring Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir.

In all, 10,000 of the "Prudential Skate Radios" will be given away in the next four days.

Overheard in line: "Hey, that's nice. I paid 15 bucks for one of those things three years ago (in San Jose)."

There was a tweet from Jimmie saying check out Skate Radio and somebody else tweeted a reply that implied it would be David, but it was not Jimmie that said that, and it was Jimmie that was there.

It could have been Cain for the FS.

David was there at Nationals because he was inducted to the Hall of Fame.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...santee-in-skating-hall-of-fame-001-photo.html

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
It was not David doing the pseudo tech panel channel with St. Cyr. They were introduced. It was his brother Jimmy, who is qualified to be on a tech panel. I was listening to them for the Senior Men's FS.

Charlie Cyr was not on Skate Radio for the Men's FS. Peter Cain was there in his absence.

Anyway, we do agree that one of the Santees was there too.

(David did some of the Skate Radio in Greensboro, per the USFS tweet in my post above. I could swear that it was David who was with Meryl for the SD, for example.)

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It could have been David with Meryl. I was listening to Charlie on the IN channel for the SD. He was replaced by Ben Agosto on IN for the FD.

ilsalund

Rinkside
Regarding Daniel Samohin, he represented Israel at Europeans but to the best of my knowledge, Israel is part of Asia so how did he qualify for Europeans? Thanks.

kinoriH

Final Flight

The Finn

Record Breaker
Kavaguti is 3 years older than Smirnov. That's not a big deal but has there ever been a notable pair or an ice dance team where the lady is considerably older than the male partner?

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks for all of the responses to my Skate Radio question! This all came up during the men's free skate. For the men's sp, we listened to Channel B.

Now, can anyone identify the skater who talks about getting up after you fall in the ubiquitous USFS commercial?

Kinori, Shalom! I was surprised, but delighted that Israeli skaters can compete @ Europeans since I've always thought of Israel as being in what is called "Asia Minor."

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Kavaguti is 3 years older than Smirnov. That's not a big deal but has there ever been a notable pair or an ice dance team where the lady is considerably older than the male partner?

Not big differences, but here are are a couple of sibling partnerships from Ice Dance where the female skater is older than the male.

Sinead Kerr is 2 years older than her brother, John.
Cathy Reed is 2 years older than her brother, Chris.

Didn't realize that Massot were 10 years younger than Szolkowy. A bit of a cougarish move by Aliona.

:laugh:

(I did realise, but that thought never came into my head. How innocent I must be...!)

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Could someone example to me why Scimeca/Knierim are ranked above Sui/Han on the World Standings? I know Sui/Han didn't exactly have a dream season last year, but they did win 4CC and had a stronger GP season than Scimeca/Knierim. They didn't get the Olympics... but neither did Scimeca/Knierim.

I don't hold a lot of stock in World Standings, but they affect the groups at Worlds, and it seems like Sui/Han (and Kavaguti/Smirnov--except it's obvious why they're lower on the list) could be getting the "not final group" SP scores again. :hopelessness: Already happened at 4CC...

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Sui/Han didn't do senior B's and they had injuries in previous years.

Scimeca & Knierim won a couple of Senior B's.

Standings are total crap as a predicter of what team is better than another.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Sui/Han didn't do senior B's and they had injuries in previous years.

Scimeca & Knierim won a couple of Senior B's.

Standings are total crap as a predicter of what team is better than another.
Thanks. So it's just Senior B's, and not anything special that I missed...

I agree that Standings aren't really indicative of who's the better team, but the judges seem to not realize that when they divide into groups... That's the only reason I care about standings at all.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
http://www.isuresults.com/ws/ws/wspairs.htm

S&K have in Senior Bs & such in "Other Selected International Competitions"

2014-15
300+243​

2013-14
203​

2012-13
175​

For a total of 921 points from Senior Bs

Sui & Han have ZERO Senior B points

Outside of Senior Bs, Sui & Han have more points than Scimeca & Knierim

Last edited:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
^Once again, thank you for your insight, Doris. My ability to figure out charts is, well, nonexistent. :laugh:

I wonder why the Chinese Fed doesn't send more pairs to Senior B's... Travel costs? :think:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
There are No senior B's in Asia.

That cannot help.

They are all in Europe, with the exception of Salt Lake in the US and Skate Canada Autumn Classic in Canada.

I am not sure whether Skate Down Under (a non senior B) is an "Other Selected International Competition"