Real Prediction Thread | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Real Prediction Thread

Buttercup

Record Breaker
But both duos (V/M and K/N) are still don't have world champions title and I don't see why D/W should take it this year.
Oh, no argument there - having D/W in 1st place belongs in dream podiums, not in the predictions thread (and not on my dream podium, for that matter ;)). I was referring to D/W getting a medal, not the gold one...

^^^
One reason for D/W's popularity is the use of Delilah's aria in the opera: Samson & Delilah. For lovers of lyrical opera and ballet tunes, young fans adore the music because they have never heard it before or rarely. Other winners are: the interlude during Thais, Moonlight Sonata, Bolero, etc.

Senior couples should not have any problems with a cresendo or two in a pretty melody.

It's apparent from the American fans of Ice Dance, that D/W are on a roll, and have surpassed B/A. in popularity.

Will this affect the judging in LA? I doubt it, but it will be heartbreaking for some US fans if D/W do not win, imo.

flying camel

Medalist
Ladies:

1. Yu Na Kim
2. Mao
3. Rochette
4. Ando
5. Kostner
6. Flatt
7. Czisny
8. Fumie
9. Lepisto
10. Phaneuf

irinas

Rinkside
This is really difficult to make a prediction as every top skater has a chance to win the title.

LADIES

Rochette ( She has been quite consistent this year,If she skates both of her programs with no mistake,she can easily win the competition. )

Kim ( I haven't seen her skate both of her programs with any mistake. But I don't believe that she can win this title. )

Asada ( I don't think that she is better than Rochette or Kim. She is strong. But I don't like her style and jumping technique. I don't expect her more than the bronze medal. )

Kostner ( She is my favorite! I adore her more than anybody! :agree: But to be realistic, she doesn't have a big chance to win the title. She has never been very consistent. She just needs to control her feelings during the competition. But no more than the fourth place. )

Lepistö ( Actually she doesn't seem to be a big rival to the top skaters but she executes her elements very well and gets positive GOE for each of her elements. But for sure, she needs a triple-triple and a triple lutz. )

That's all I predict for the ladies. :agree:

lmarie086

Medalist
It's apparent from the American fans of Ice Dance, that D/W are on a roll, and have surpassed B/A. in popularity.

Will this affect the judging in LA? I doubt it, but it will be heartbreaking for some US fans if D/W do not win, imo.

The thing for me is, for awhile there B/A were not progressing as they should have been (I don't think that is the case anymore, to me their improvement is best viewed in the CD). And they just nothing for me for a long time- I like them a lot better these days. For me, while they are certainly not the best team in the World, I can see them improving from one competition to the next and I've enjoyed watching them from the very first time I saw them. That said I'm certainly not predicting for them to win Gold.

Dance:
1. Khokhlova/Novitski
2/3/4/5. Belbin/Agosto, Virtue/Moir, Davis/White, DomShabs
6/7. Kerrs, Pechalat/Bourzat
8. Faiella/Scali (maybe not reasonable, but I cannot like them no matter how hard I try)
9. Cappellini/Lanotte (I DO like them, and don't think they belong behind the two young NA teams.
10/11/12. Samuelson/Bates, Crone/Poirier, Z/V (I'll write out their names later lol)

Men:
1. Yannick Ponsero
2/3/4. Patrick Chan, Jeremy Abbott, Takahiko Kozuka
5. Brian Joubert
6. Evan Lysacek
7. Nobunari Oda
8. Tomas Verner (for Michal's sake)
9. Samuel Contesti
10. Brandon Mroz

Pairs:
1. Savchenko/Szolkowy
2. Pang/Tong
3. Zhang/Zhang
4. Kawaguchi/Smirnov
5. Mukhortova/Trankov
6. Duhamel/Buntin
7. McLaughlin/Brubaker
8. Volosozhar/Morosov
9. Duhamel/Buntin (I'd rather see them and D/D switched but I doubt it would happen if both went clean)
10. Denny/Barrett

I don't feel like predicting for ladies

rosee

On the Ice
Dance:
1. Belbin & Agosto
2. Khoklova & Novitski
3. Virtue & Moir

Men:
1. Chan
2. Oda
3. Abbott

Ladies:
1. Yu-na Kim
2. Mao Asada
3. Joannie Rochette

Pairs:
1. Savchenko & Szolkowy
2. Pang & Tong
3. Dube & Davison

Medals: Canada 4, USA 2, Japan 2, Russia 1, Korea 1, Germany 1, China 1.

young3638

Spectator
Out of curiousity here, why do you think Yuna Kim is planing on retirement after Vancouver Olympic? There was no such news, wasn't there?

centerpt1

On the Ice
Dance

1. Khoklova & Novitski
2. Belbin&Agosto
3. Virtue& Moir
4. Davis& White

Men

1. Abbott
2. Kozuka
3. Oda
4. Chan

Ladies

1. Kim
2. Asada
3. Rochette
4. Kostner

I don't follow pairs enough to hazard a guess............

Medusa

Record Breaker
Out of curiousity here, why do you think Yuna Kim is planing on retirement after Vancouver Olympic? There was no such news, wasn't there?
She hinted at it several times.

Original Article
Translation from the Yu-Na Kim Forum

After the 2010 Olympics, I'd like to go pro and do some ice shows.

So there is a definite possibility, but I get the feeling that she sounds a lot more positive and less sure about future plans this season, maybe because she isn't injured so far and generally feels better (and looks healthier, stronger in my opinion) - so I wouldn't be surprised if the decision will depend on her health and on her success at the 2010 Olympics (because honestly, when was the last time an Olympic Gold Medal Winner among the ladies stayed for more than another year or so?).

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
She hinted at it several times.

Original Article
Translation from the Yu-Na Kim Forum

So there is a definite possibility, but I get the feeling that she sounds a lot more positive and less sure about future plans this season, maybe because she isn't injured so far and generally feels better (and looks healthier, stronger in my opinion) - so I wouldn't be surprised if the decision will depend on her health and on her success at the 2010 Olympics (because honestly, when was the last time an Olympic Gold Medal Winner among the ladies stayed for more than another year or so?).

Yeah....That interview was like two years ago and you never know with these athletes. She most likely will take a break after 2010 Olympics but who knows we might still see her down the road in 2014

npa

Match Penalty
^^^
One reason for D/W's popularity is the use of Delilah's aria in the opera: Samson & Delilah. For lovers of lyrical opera and ballet tunes, young fans adore the music because they have never heard it before or rarely. Other winners are: the interlude during Thais, Moonlight Sonata, Bolero, etc.

Senior couples should not have any problems with a cresendo or two in a pretty melody.

:clap:"Saaamson....." :rofl:
I hope B/A will tale medal becase they had a lot off problems before, because they work so hard, because they change everything in there lifes for there medals.

screech

Final Flight
My predictions:

Men
Extremely tough to predict. I think that 1-4 will be in any order
Brian Joubert
Patrick Chan
Nobunari Oda
Takahiko Kozuka

Ladies
1. Yu Na Kim
2. Mao Asada
3. Joannie Rochette

Pairs
1. Savchenko/Szolkovy
2. Pang/Tong
3. Zhangs

Dance
1. Domnina / Shabalin
2. Khokhlova / Novitski
3. Virtue/Moir
4. Davis/White (close fight for bronze)

lmarie086

Medalist
:clap:"Saaamson....." :rofl:
I hope B/A will tale medal becase they had a lot off problems before, because they work so hard, because they change everything in there lifes for there medals.

You know, you come across as being very rude.

I hope they medal because their skating merits it. A lot of skaters go through hard
times, but that doesn't matter if they don't deliver when it counts.

I think B/A will probably be better than we've seen them in quite some time, and I think they'll remain the #1 US team in the eyes of the international judges. I think both they and D/W will do very well, but B/A will stay ahead (not by much though!)

npa

Match Penalty
You know, you come across as being very rude.

I hope they medal because their skating merits it. A lot of skaters go through hard
times, but that doesn't matter if they don't deliver when it counts.

Yes, they will skate greate because they work hard on there technick with new coach. And work hard on there presentation too. I hope Linichuck really help to B/A take medals, wich they want

Here are my picks for the Winners:

Men: Brandon Mroz

Ladies: Alisa Czisny

Pairs: Denney/Barrett

Dance: Samuelson/Bates

Now you have the results before the competition!!! I have spoken!!!

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
PREDICTIONS for the exciting 2009 worlds

Hope I am wrong about some :biggrin:

Men
1) Oda - It's just a feeling I have
2) Abbott - Very musical and unique skating. Should get high PCS, but his technique must be 100%. His connection with the audience is +
3) Kozuka - Actually I think he will do better than Chan. Nice flow with great jumps. He will do PB if he is able to relax.
4) Chan - I have doubts about him, but I'm sure he will do great in the future
5) Lysacek - I know he did well at 4cc, but......?
6) Joubert - has he done one LP well this season?...don't think so
7) Ponsero - inconsistent....the men's dark horse
8) Verner - well, you never know
9) Contesti - too much expectations on him since silver at euros
10) Voronov - he is a good skater, but he lacks something.....
11) van der Perren - with his problems.....I don't think among top 10
12) Berntsson - inconsistent but he usually gets high PCS. No succesful competition this season.

Mroz and Chipeur?......sorry I don't know enough about them

Women
1) Kim - I am as sure she will win worlds as I was she would win GPF
2) Rochette - With her new confidence...yes
3) Asada - too much ups and downs to be the golden lady
4) Flatt - I haven't seen much of her, but couldn't she be this worlds surprise with a new PB?
5) Suguri - She is back and, I suppose, determined to go to the olympics. Training hard on jumps on expense of her personal presentation?
6) Ando - Can't say I know what form she is in
7) Kostner - she looks nervous on the ice...her 3-3 is not sure
8) Lepistö - nice skating, but with 3-4 triples.....?
9) Leonova - a fresh wind for the future
10) Czisny - a dark horse
11) Pöykiö - she doubles too often
12) Meier - just glad to see her compete

Pair
1) Pang/Tong - They have returned in good shape after some weak years. They look strong and are definitely going for gold!
2) Savchenko/Szolkowy - As good as ever. But I feel there is something bothering them this season.
3) Volosozhar & Morozov - Am I the only one to believe in them? They have the capacity including outstanding lifts and high throws. This year they have two great programs, a new style and a Morozov looking more relaxed (even smiling sometimes) Add some confidence and they will manage their jumps as well.
4) Zhang/Zhang - Technical skills, yes, but low PCS in their monotonous LP
5) Duhamel/Buntin - Speed, power, and looking happy on the ice.
6) Kavaguti/Smirnov - I am confused about them. So many difficult things, but are they really skating as a pair?
7) Mukhortova/Trankov - too inconsistent...their time will come
9) McLaughlin/Brubaker
10) Della Monica/Kocon
At europeans we saw some more new interesting pairs doing well: James/Bonheur FRA...Sergejeva/Glebov EST...Haush/WENDE GER...Morand/Dorsaz SUI(young lovely couple with coach Ingo Steuer)

Ice Dance
1) Khokhlova/Novitski
2) Dom/Shabs
3) Virtue/Moir

If one of these WDs....Belbin/Agosto on the podium

I am cynical about icedance. The judges have already made up their minds about the order(if there are no big errors) So no way D/W(5), F/S(6), the Kerrs(7) and P/B(8) will make the podium. Anyway I have my favorites and look forward to the Free Dance. I do agree with those of you who prefer Cappellini/Lanotte to Faiella/Scali

I have a feeling I forgot some stars :scratch: