Report: Arakawa to skip Worlds | Golden Skate

Report: Arakawa to skip Worlds

CalloftheBlade

Rinkside
"Turin Olympic gold medalist Shizuka Arakawa will not take part in the world figure skating championships to be held in Calgary March 20-26.
The 24-year-old from Miyagi cited her tight schedule, which forced her out of practice since she became the only medalist from Japan in the Olympic Games.
Arawaka, the 2004 world champion, is going to announce her withdrawal formally later.
Yoshie Onda will replace Arakawa in the world championships, joining Fumie Suguri, who came in fourth in the Olympics, and Yukari Nakano, the Japan Skating Federation said Thursday."

link: http://www.todayonline.com/articles/105643.asp

Mafke

Medalist
I think it's always disappointing when oly medalists don't stick around for worlds, but if the Japanese media is living up (down?) to its reputation I can see how she wouldn't have the time to train properly. As long as she keeps skating in some public forum (eligible or just shows I don't care, just keep skating for audiences, hopefully large audiences).

It really is shaping up for Cohen and Suguri, I'd like to see either get a world championship.

That makes sense. Shizuka is Queen of Figure Skating for the next four years!!
Why let a little Worlds get in the way of that title?

Who was the last Oly winner who went on to skate the following Worlds?

Joe

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Joesitz said:
Who was the last Oly winner who went on to skate the following Worlds?

Joe

If you are talking about the ladies, the last to go on to Worlds was Kristi Yamaguchi. Incidentally, I don't know of a single time the ladies OGM went to Worlds and didn't win there, also. As a matter of fact, IIRC, both Dorothy Hamill and Katerina Witt won their first World title (in Hamill's case, her only one, I think) after they won the OGM.

attyfan said:
If you are talking about the ladies, the last to go on to Worlds was Kristi Yamaguchi. Incidentally, I don't know of a single time the ladies OGM went to Worlds and didn't win there, also. As a matter of fact, IIRC, both Dorothy Hamill and Katerina Witt won their first World title (in Hamill's case, her only one, I think) after they won the OGM.
Of course, there was Tenley Albright who lost her Worlds after she won the Olys.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
She said in an interview that she's going to the Worlds (and mentions in her journal that she resumed training for worlds after that Hollywood spree) so my hunch is Yes she's going unless she gets injured.

waxel

Final Flight
Sasha would be nuts not to go... her crown still doesn't have a gold jewel. But... I guess all these ladies have been subjected to intense post-Olys appearances and as such, have had little time to train.

Okay, TOTALLY off point, but I caught Tonya Harding on GMA today. I was aghast. Whatever her financial problems... her grocery budget seems not to have been affected. SHe said she'd been skating in the last week... and there were clips of her doing a single axel and a pretty decent scratch spin. Could we see her on the nect edition of Skating w/ Celebs??????????????

Vash01

Medalist
Sasha did win gold at the US nationals. I am sure she wants to win worlds, esp. since her major competitors are not going to be there. It will be an easy win for her. I don't see Suguri beating her; she did not, with a clean skate and two falls by Sasha at the Olympics. I don't see anyone beating her at worlds.

I don't think Irina will go to worlds. She was not named to the team before the deadline.

Vash

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
The Japanese media is INSANE. It is no doubt that Shizuka is unable to make Worlds. Speaking of which... I am heading to Japan in 5 1/2 hours. I hope to catch a glimpse of her there! Sasha would be insane not to go if it is a World Gold Medal she is hoping for. This is the year to get it before all those rising Juniors and young Seniors start claiming the scene.

I can't imagine Sasha not showing up for Worlds. Her top rivals are not going to be there. Mau and the Korean gal will not be there. The way is clear for her to win her first Worlds gold.

If Fumie, Joannie, Kimmie, or Emily place ahead of Sasha, methnks, it's time for Sasha to restudy her eligible career. The Japanese will be on the move next year.

Joe

Linny

Final Flight
Fumie - not necessarily

Joe - I agree that if Kimmie or Emily place ahead of Sasha, then perhaps Sasha needs to rethink.

Fumie, though, comes pretty qualified. I love her fire, actually, especially since we saw her briefly with a coach who didn't nurture her fire. I'm not counting Fumie out and don't think Sasha should feel a failure if Fumie comes out ahead in one contest.

After all, Fumie beat the reigning Oly champ at a really high pressure match for all Japanese - the Nationals.

Linny

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Linny said:
Fumie, though, comes pretty qualified. I love her fire, actually, especially since we saw her briefly with a coach who didn't nurture her fire. I'm not counting Fumie out and don't think Sasha should feel a failure if Fumie comes out ahead in one contest.

After all, Fumie beat the reigning Oly champ at a really high pressure match for all Japanese - the Nationals.

Linny

ITA... espcially when you throw that Fumie had been more of a direct rival to Sasha on the international scene prior to that unfortunate coaching change... I think these two will battle it out for that gold ~ it should be an interesting competition... I'm also looking for Kimmie to come out strong.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Skipping Worlds

Do we know yet whether Irina will skate at Worlds? Every report I've read seems to say yes or no:rofl: Also, what about Carolina on the podium? She had a poor showing at the Olympics but maybe that was enough to calm her nerves and let her skate clean. Should be interesting. I would actually love to see Fumie win.

Maureen

jesslily

Final Flight
It's kind of smart that Arakawa does not compete worlds. She has won the title, why does she have to give herself extra pressure to risk losing the gold and mess up her OGM glory? Sasha really needs to go. If she skates fairly well, and Fumie skates worse than her Olympic performance, Sasha will win the gold.

mzheng

Record Breaker
jesslily said:
It's kind of smart that Arakawa does not compete worlds. She has won the title, why does she have to give herself extra pressure to risk losing the gold and mess up her OGM glory? Sasha really needs to go. If she skates fairly well, and Fumie skates worse than her Olympic performance, Sasha will win the gold.
Are you saying this was the same reason last 3 of teenage OGM skiped the world right after the Olympics?

antmanb

Record Breaker
Is she retiring?

I would guess she would, she wanted to retire after winning worlds in 2004 but the federation forced her to continue. But i have reda reports that she wants (now i don't know if that means she actually wants to or the federation want her to) stay in for Tokyo 2007.

Ant