Rhythm Dance - 2022 Olympics: Thoughts? | Golden Skate

Rhythm Dance - 2022 Olympics: Thoughts?

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

A new records score for Papadakis and Cizeron!

Who were your favorites? Which routines did you enjoy the most? Do you think the standing will change after the Free Dance? What do you predict?

Maagii

Rinkside
I was thoroughly convinced that Hubbell/Donogue were getting the 2nd place after their performance. Wishing them to have a fantastic FD. C'mon the power of Maddie's manifestation! Show me what you are made of.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
"I think we have some mixed feelings about the performance," admitted Bates. "Mostly it was really good. We really wanted to have fun and show this unique program, this modern music, and I think we have at least one small mistake that probably cost us some points. So that was the mixed feeling, but it's not over yet. We have a great free dance we're looking forward to."

"I was a bit disappointed when we saw the scores," said Chock. "It was a bit lower than we hoped and we need to look at the protocol and see where we lost levels. And that was probably what it was, and it's not over yet."

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
First of all it was great to see P&C get rid of their demons of four years ago, much like Nathan had to in his short program. Congrats to them! I've liked this RD all season long.

I was thinking today about the disaster original dance of 2006 with so many falls and huge mistakes and the epic and now iconic stare felt round the world and I'm glad we didn't have that today - no major mistakes from the dancers today so kudos to them all.

I haven't seen everyone yet - I woke up in time to see the last eight. I am a big Chock and Bates fan so I'm disappointed they didn't have a better skate here, but unfortunately they made that noticeable mistake in the MB. Hope they just let loose and skate a fab FD.

It seems like the medals are pretty destined to be the top three as they separated themselves from the field - 3 pts is pretty big in ice dance. Of course a big mistake could shake things up. But seems like 1-3 are fighting for the medals, then 4-7 are extremely close, then 8-10. I would love for H&B to move up into the top 10 with their amazing freedance they have this year... we shall see.

discodisco

On the Ice
All the RDs this year are disappointing and unmemorable. I think all these teams have had better programs in the years leading up to the Olympics. I remember people predicting how bad the RDs were going to be a couple years back, b/c the street-dance concept wouldn't translate well to dance, being too ill-defined and not having enough that could be reproduced on the ice.

Well, they were right. The highlight of the event was HD's sultry section. Chock & Bates had a small Midnight Blues pattern, and were noticeably slower than all the top teams. You can't cover up weaker skating skills and lack of speed with facial expressions - although they tried. I think their FD is great, but in the RD you could really see why they're inferior to the top 3 teams (and even Piper and Paul when it comes to speed, ice coverage and edges.)

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
Did anyone else notice going over the protocols that NINE teams got a warning for “violation of choreography restrictions”? What’s that about? One really cranky judge who hates knee slides or…?

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I was kinda hoping to be wowed by S/D again, but they were a little off. Other than that, I was a bit bored, but liked S/B and H/D the most. The love story extraordinaire makes me root the most for S/K though, I just want a glorious ending for that, as a part of my compsensation package from the cold, heartless Universe for heartbreak this Oly had been so far 🤣🤣🤣 With P/C, I loved their opener, but the moment midnight blues started, I got distracted, and couldn’t focus on them again, plus I keep thinking their costumes look like Virtue and Moir’s from first Oly (when I thought V/M were pair skaters, lol). I won’t miss midnight blues, that’s for sure. It’s just makes the whole rhythm dance segment this year for pretty much everyone to consist of twizzles, cool lift and a slow, annoying part.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Does anyone know how to find the replay of the Rhythm Dance? I can't find it anywhere on Peacock. Plus, it looks like they are taking down all of the replays at this point, with only live and upcoming figure skating posted. And then there's a page with past primetime coverage, but figure skating is probably mixed in with other events on those broadcasts.

Is NBC planning to show a full replay of the Rhythm Dance on this evening's primetime coverage? Otherwise, where is the Peacock replay? It was still up and available around 11:00 am or so, but I didn't have time to watch and 6:00am was too early to get up and watch live. I'm completely lost and frustrated with the nonsense, convoluted way Peacock has this set up on their website. Can anyone help? I do not want to be spoiled. I can already see that P/C won the RD, and I didn't want to know that in advance of seeing anything. Thanks to anyone who can help!

It looks to me like NBC is planning to be precious about making replays of Olympic figure skating available. I'm not interested in any of the other sports, at all. If you pay a gazillion monthly for YouTube TV, then you have access there. I'm not going for that.

treblemakerem

On the Ice
Does anyone know how to find the replay of the Rhythm Dance? I can't find it anywhere on Peacock. Plus, it looks like they are taking down all of the replays at this point, with only live and upcoming figure skating posted. And then there's a page with past primetime coverage, but figure skating is probably mixed in with other events on those broadcasts.

All the replays are still showing for me on peacock. I can see them on the sport or day by day.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
All the replays are still showing for me on peacock. I can see them on the sport or day by day.
Thanks. I'll look again. The navigation on Peacock is horrendous. Instead of Olympic Replays under Olympic figure skating, they are posting "Road to Beijing" and showing replays of 2022 U.S. Nationals, and DocuSeries shows, etc.

I saw "Day-by-Day" but it was not specifically showing any replay for figure skating rhythm dance for February 12.

ETA:
I looked again. I do not see any replays of the Rhythm Dance. Apparently, they are showing some of it tonight in primetime, and don't have it up on the website. If the replay is there, I have no idea how to find it.

Okay, I finally found it in a listing under Sports, rather than under the Olympics, but it was hella crazy hidden from easy access. Thanks again!

Last edited:
I didn't see any hip-hop moves in Papadakis and Cizeron's dance. (The Midnight Blues part, I don't really know what that dance rhythm is supposed to entail.)

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
I didn't see any hip-hop moves in Papadakis and Cizeron's dance. (The Midnight Blues part, I don't really know what that dance rhythm is supposed to entail.)

Weird to complain about the authenticity of one of the few teams who has named and researched a specific style of street dance rather than the countless teams who seem to just be doing generic movements they believe to be “street.”

rain

Record Breaker

Weird to complain about the authenticity of one of the few teams who has named and researched a specific style of street dance rather than the countless teams who seem to just be doing generic movements they believe to be “street.”
Waacking is not remotely my favourite dance style, but P/C actually made me like it more with this dance. It is by far the most sophisticated RD program this season and I find it brilliant. The timing of the twizzles gives me goosebumps every time, and the synchronicity of the arm movements makes me jaw drop they are so perfect. I've never actually liked a RD by P/C before, and always thought this was their weakness, but this dance is absolutely stellar. One of the few from this season that I rewatch.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Well, here we go. It took me more than a day to be able to watch the RD, and now I have. Sorry, that it's so close to the FD but I'm still going to give my review. Firstly though, I have to acknowledge the fact that I really am pretty bad in understanding the marks in ID. I get it when a twizzle goes wrong or unsynchronised, I also get it when someone falls (obviously) or stumbles in a step sequence, or when a lift is just not effortless. The rest is just feelings, and therefore terribly subjective.

Papadakis/Cizeron were the best ever. I really like it that they've given an original and excellent interpretation of waacking, a true form of Streat Dance that not everybody knows about. Wonderfully done, and still getting the (more traditional) Key points too. Hurrah!

Russian dancers: it's my personal preference of course, I love Stepanova/Bukin so much but somehow their compatriots always get better scores. I don't know why, but I'm sure other posters will. I just don't get it that Sinitsina/Katsalopov are so close to Papadakis/Cizeron but the other couple isn't. Whom I think are better. Not going into Davis/Smolkin - not bad but why are they here? Russia has better Ice Dancers!

Funny to see that the two first American couples are so close, but behind the Russians. Of course, Nikita dd not make a mistake today, but I'm still surprised. Don't understand why Chock/Bates are three points behind their compatriots. I liked Hawayek/Baker the best to be honest, and they're in 11th place!. Not too bad, but do I understand it? Nope.

The Canadian performances and their rankings are more easy to understand. I thought Marjorie and Zacha did well, but they are young.I actually expected to see Laurence and Nikolaj to do better and I think they're lucky in their placement. Piper and Paul were great (not in the least because Piper were the jumpsuit again), and I think they could have been slightly higher - but they definitely did better than in the Team event.

I've seen Olivia and Adrian skate better than they did in this RD, but still good to watch. It would have been nice if their rivals could also have been here, but that was out of the question.

I love Chinese Elvis. That couple is such fun to watch, and Xinyu is great as Elvis. Good choice for them!

Going back in the rankings, Juulia and Matthias did so well. They won the Nebelhorn Trophy some months ago, and they definitely showed why this evening.

Sad to see three couples who didn't skate that badly not going forward to the FD. That's the sport I suppose.

Kinga

Medalist
I am underwhelmed with most of RDs, except of P/C. Can someone explain to me what does midnight blues have to do with hip hop and street dance? When I heard about midnight blues being the 'theme' for this season I envisioned a completely different mood for RDs. But I know nothing about ice dance :laugh:

I don't think that the two chosen "rhythms" in general ever anything to do with each other (?) My favorite short dance of all time remains Davis & White's Giselle. We're a little bit ballet, we're a little bit Polka. The cool thing is that there are Polkas in the actual ballet.

Last edited:

labgoat

Working on Costumes contest & REWATCHES
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wish I could rewatch with commentary. All I can find is OBS with no comments.