Roller Derby on Ice, or Why I Can't Stand Public Sessions | Golden Skate

Roller Derby on Ice, or Why I Can't Stand Public Sessions

S

SkateFan4Life

I don't know what your experiences have been in public skating sessions, but mine have ranged from reasonably pleasant to downright horrible. I have memories of being pushed around like a sack of potatoes by out of control kids who sped around the rink, sometimes playing "whip". I have memories of being knocked down by people who were skating too fast - folks who never bothered to apologize for causing accidents. One time I was knocked down and landed hard on my right hip. The next morning I had a black and blue bruise the size of an orange, right on my hipbone. Fortunately, nothing was broken, and the bruise healed itself. But, really, guys!

One time in a public session, several skaters were attempting to practice their jumps and spins - right in the middle of the public session - and what havoc that caused! Egads.

I know we have to share the ice, but please, can't we share it in a civilized manner?

IMHO, of course! :biggrin:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
SkateFan4Life said:
I don't know what your experiences have been in public skating sessions, but mine have ranged from reasonably pleasant to downright horrible. I have memories of being pushed around like a sack of potatoes by out of control kids who sped around the rink, sometimes playing "whip". I have memories of being knocked down by people who were skating too fast - folks who never bothered to apologize for causing accidents. One time I was knocked down and landed hard on my right hip. The next morning I had a black and blue bruise the size of an orange, right on my hipbone. Fortunately, nothing was broken, and the bruise healed itself. But, really, guys!

One time in a public session, several skaters were attempting to practice their jumps and spins - right in the middle of the public session - and what havoc that caused! Egads.

I know we have to share the ice, but please, can't we share it in a civilized manner?

IMHO, of course! :biggrin:

Skating on public ice skating sessions to me is like taking ones life into ones hands. They are the bane of my existance as a former figure skater. I did not even venture onto public sessions in my heyday of figure skating. Now little choice presents itself to me to skate. I have "bitten the bullet" a couple of times and ventured onto this unknown territory.

Where I live, one has to not only put up with ankle biters, but also wannabe hockey players as well. That is scarry!!!!! Imagine dodging a puck while you are trying to skate around.

The last time I attempted a public session, I lasted a whole fifteen minutes. After much frustration, I stepped off the ice, removed my skates and went home - depressed. The ice was inviting, but the mob was not.

I have since pretty much hung up my skates. The only way I would skate now would be joining a club or finding an adult only session. However, It's pretty hard on my work schedule to find the time.

Oh for the good old days!!! :cry:

megsk8z

On the Ice
Maybe I'm just lucky, but I don't seem to have this problem too often. There are rules for public ice at our rink such as "no cutting through the middle" and "center ice is for figure skaters only" and these rules are enforced. There will be no pucks on the ice, speeding, crack the whip or anything like that and we have guards (read: high school skaters/hockey players) who are supposed to enforce these rules. And for the most part, they do. When they don't, I'm more than happy to snarl at the offending people and they will generally stop doing whatever it is that they're not supposed to be doing (with the exception of the obviously "roid raged" speedskater that smacked a kid and then left the building, but that's a whole 'nother story).

Poor ice etiquette is a safety issue and that gives me the motivation to police the ice. Of course, it helps that I am a rink employee, so when I ask someone to stop a bad behavior it probably carries more weight that if I was just some guy off the street. So okay, no camel spins for me during public sessions, lest I slice the face off some ankle biter (the rules are for everyone, after all), but I think for the most part, either I am incredibly lucky or other rinks don't have guards that adequately enforce the posted rules.

S

SkateFan4Life

I guess I can take some consolation in that the rink where I was "thrown around" the most closed a number of years ago. I guess too many people shared the same miserable public skating experience - or perhaps the pack of ice rats moved on to another form of entertainment - my sympathies to whatever that may be!

There is a three-rink ice skating complex about five miles from my home. It has a very active hockey league program, runs "learn to skate" sessions for all ages, and also provides private figure skating coaching for young competitve skaters.

I really should visit this rink and try out one of their adult public sessions to see if the ice is any safer over there. My work and family schedule is very tight, too, so the best I could do would be once or twice a week, nothing more than that.

Vash01

Medalist
megsk8z said:
Maybe I'm just lucky, but I don't seem to have this problem too often. There are rules for public ice at our rink such as "no cutting through the middle" and "center ice is for figure skaters only" and these rules are enforced. There will be no pucks on the ice, speeding, crack the whip or anything like that and we have guards (read: high school skaters/hockey players) who are supposed to enforce these rules. And for the most part, they do. When they don't, I'm more than happy to snarl at the offending people and they will generally stop doing whatever it is that they're not supposed to be doing (with the exception of the obviously "roid raged" speedskater that smacked a kid and then left the building, but that's a whole 'nother story).

Poor ice etiquette is a safety issue and that gives me the motivation to police the ice. Of course, it helps that I am a rink employee, so when I ask someone to stop a bad behavior it probably carries more weight that if I was just some guy off the street. So okay, no camel spins for me during public sessions, lest I slice the face off some ankle biter (the rules are for everyone, after all), but I think for the most part, either I am incredibly lucky or other rinks don't have guards that adequately enforce the posted rules.

You are lucky. My rink has gone progressively worse, to the extent there is NO STAFF on ice, and no discipline. Skaters go through the center of the ice, they skate in every possible direction without regard to anybody. It seems there are no rules, and if there are any, they are not posted, and definitely not enforced. I am afraid that someone may get hurt badly. At the ticket window they have posted the usual sign that one sees at ice skating rink "dangerous activity.... can cause falls, injury...., etc.). Apparently the mangers think that absolves them of any mishaps. I am going to write to them to establish rules and enforce them, and have staff watching what is going on on the ice. This rink is a mess! There are other rinks but either they are too far or they cater to hockey players and not give enough time for ice skating. I love skating but I hate public sessions.

Vash

S

SkateFan4Life

Vash01 said:
You are lucky. My rink has gone progressively worse, to the extent there is NO STAFF on ice, and no discipline. Skaters go through the center of the ice, they skate in every possible direction without regard to anybody. It seems there are no rules, and if there are any, they are not posted, and definitely not enforced. I am afraid that someone may get hurt badly. At the ticket window they have posted the usual sign that one sees at ice skating rink "dangerous activity.... can cause falls, injury...., etc.). Apparently the mangers think that absolves them of any mishaps. I am going to write to them to establish rules and enforce them, and have staff watching what is going on on the ice. This rink is a mess! There are other rinks but either they are too far or they cater to hockey players and not give enough time for ice skating. I love skating but I hate public sessions.

Vash

All it takes is for someone to get seriously hurt (Heaven forbid) and slap a million-dollar lawsuit on your skating rink. A sign at the door informing the public that skating is "dangerous activity...etc" doesn't cut it, legally, at least not in my state (New Jersey). If the skaters don't actually sign a release form stating they absolve the rink of all responsibility, they could take the rink to court if they are injured. Of course, they would have to prove that the rink was negligent in providing proper safety, direction for the skaters, etc.

Your rink sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen. I hope for your sake, and the rink, that they straighten their act out ASAP.