Russian Lobacheva interview | Golden Skate

Russian Lobacheva interview

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Irina Lobacheva interview

Irina LOBACHEVA: "I'm learning to correct my students"

Having said good bye to the eligible sport, Russian skaters Irina Lobacheva and Ilya Averbukh have found new venues for self expressoin. Ilya is consumed by the development of his show "Ice Symphony", as well as by commenting jobs. Irina, meanwhile, now trains child teams. World and European champion talked about this new step in her career with the "Izvestiya" correspondent Ekaterina Konova.

Actually, I didn't want to become a coach, it was rather Ilya's idea. When we stopped performing, I only wanted one thing - to forget figure skating. Yet two years passed, we got a baby, and it all gave me a psychological rest. Besides, I started getting my first students. Kids' parents found out I was considering coaching, and asked me to try.

Traditionally, coaches in Russia encounter a miriad of problems. Did you consider moving abroad, as many of your colleages have done?

I've had the opportunity. We've had to live and train in America for seven years, as this was where our coaches Linichuk and Karponosov worked. We could have stayed in the West, and coached prospect-less children and well-to-do nannies, a rather characteristic mix. First of all, such an option didn't attract me. Secondly, we never got accustomed to America.

Well, Oleg Vasiliev and Tatiana Tarasova, who both have their schools in America, don't work with prospect-less skaters.

That's where you're wrong. The difference is that Oleg Vasiliev, besides working with American children, also works with our famous pair Totmianina and Marinin. Originally, though, he came to train Americans. Otherwise, what would the point have been to invite him to America and give him such excellent conditions?

Would you like to open your own figure skating school in Russia?

That's possible only with governmental support. We aren't ready for that yet. Though, of course, we're thinking about it.

Whom would you like to train?

Naturally, we have to move to the international level. Otherwise, I see no point in this work. I started training little kids to learn things from scratch. Coaching is very different. It took me about four months to learn to keep an eye on several teams simoultaneously, that alone is very difficult. Besides, you have to elarn to criticize your students; given each one's personality, you have to find a unique approach to each one.

Does Ilya help you?

We're working on it. Normally, putting a program together takes two weeks, if not a month. We do it faster, because we both come onto the ice to show the elements, and the kids repeat afer us.

Do you follow your former coaches' experience in your work?

For a long time, we were one big family with Linichuk and Karponosov, but now we've gone our separate ways. We only call each other occasionally. If I continue coaching, we can eventually become competitors, so why would they help me? Of course, I could have joined some team as an associate coach, but I won't do that. I want to do it on my own. The kids I've started working with are like a family. We're learning together.

Antilles

Medalist
Every time I read an interview with her or Averbukh, they say something that puts me off them even more. She seems to have a pretty dismal view of Americans.

soogar

Record Breaker
Antilles said:
Every time I read an interview with her or Averbukh, they say something that puts me off them even more. She seems to have a pretty dismal view of Americans.

Haha.. I love how working with prospectless Americans seem so pointless to them. Maybe they would become better coaches if they were able to teach no talents good technique. It's easy to teach to a kid who picks up quickly. But to get good results in "no talents", well that's a real accomplishment and those coaches tend to produce the best champions when they do get a talented kid.

Just my thought.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
We could have stayed in the West, and coached prospect-less children and well-to-do nannies, a rather characteristic mix. First of all, such an option didn't attract me. Secondly, we never got accustomed to America.

Maybe that is why she skated crappy programs in horrid costumes?

Naturally, we have to move to the international level. Otherwise, I see no point in this work.

Does she not enjoy teaching for teaching's sake or to bring the joy of skating to someone? That's rather sad that she sees no point in teaching unless it is to prepare for international competetion.

For a long time, we were one big family with Linichuk and Karponosov, but now we've gone our separate ways. We only call each other occasionally. If I continue coaching, we can eventually become competitors, so why would they help me?

So she has no use for friends and peers unless she has something to gainfrom them?

She sounds like a very unhappy woman.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Lobacheva never striked me as someone bright, but I don't see her "unhappy". She did not say she wouldn't talk to Lin. & Karp., rather she pointed out they wouldn't help with her coaching. As to teaching kids with no big prospects - come on, she is just being more honest than most. Teaching for teaching skate is as much a myth as skating for skating sake is for the elite skaters.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I took her comment to mean if they were of no help with her teaching why bother to be friends with them.

Are you saying that after being an Olympic/World competetor that only teaching World/Olympic caliber athletes can be rewarding? If that is so there are a whole lot of diappointed coaches out there.

soogar

Record Breaker
Piel said:
Are you saying that after being an Olympic/World competetor that only teaching World/Olympic caliber athletes can be rewarding? If that is so there are a whole lot of diappointed coaches out there.

I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and say that since she's so closely removed from top level competition, her heart is still in that area. Maybe when she works as a coach for a few more years, elite competition won't hold so much allure.

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
Piel said:
I took her comment to mean if they were of no help with her teaching why bother to be friends with them.
But the question wasn't about friends, it was about work, that's she was replying to. So I don't understand how you are taking conclusions about what friends are to her.

Thanks for the translation, it seems like she is still trying to find her place in the life post competition.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
For a long time, we were one big family with Linichuk and Karponosov, but now we've gone our separate ways. We only call each other occasionally. If I continue coaching, we can eventually become competitors, so why would they help me?

When someone says they were one big family to me that is more than a working relationship. To go from one big family to only calling occasionally seems to be quite a downgrading of a relationship.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Piel said:
How did you get that out of her statements? She is basically saying that 1) they've gone their separate ways, and 2) they have no insentive to help her coach. Those are independent statements. Once again, I am not in any way a fan of her personality, I just think you're twisting her words a bit.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Thanks for the translation. It was an interesting reading.

As for commenting about coach expect-less skater. I took it each for their own view. Raphael said one reason he moved to US coaching because he can't get good students in Rusia.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
But if they were like family why would they now just speak occasionally? You don't do that with people who are like family, at least I don't.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Piel, this is a theme that is touched upon repeatedly by skaters. Working together may be very intense for both coaches and skaters; when those relationships fall apart, it is often quite painful. I remember reading interviews about the relationship between Tarasova and Natalya Bestemianova. TT was like a mother to Natalya, truly caring for her. After B&B retired from eligible skating, there was a period when they became almost enemies. Both say that it took some time for them to cool off and just become friends.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Ptichka said:
Teaching for teaching skate is as much a myth as skating for skating sake is for the elite skaters.
I don't think this is true for everyone. There was a documentary/profile on Elizabeth Manley in which she looked energized and in her element teaching about thirty "prospectless" kids at a rink in Florida, and she said she loved what she was doing. I suspect some skaters are so sick of the nonsense at the top level of the sport -- judges, backbiting, politics, etc. -- that they're quite happy to leave that behind and to teach kids who are trying to learn brackets.

soogar

Record Breaker
mzheng said:
Thanks for the translation. It was an interesting reading.

As for commenting about coach expect-less skater. I took it each for their own view. Raphael said one reason he moved to US coaching because he can't get good students in Rusia.

I don't think Raphael has the connections in Russia to get the good students. It seems that Averbukh has the connections to start a tour with the Russian Fed's support, he has the connections to get the good students for himself and his wife. This isn't the case for Rafael even though he produced a very good skater in Abt and the Loverbukhs are unproven as coaches.