Russian Nationals, Day One | Golden Skate

Russian Nationals, Day One

Eislauffan

Spectator
Ice Dancing, CD
Austrian Waltz and Yankee Polka

1. Navka/Kostomarov
Waltz: Overall ok, but they lost speed in the corners A 5.6.-5.7, B 5.7-5.9
Polka: her costume was hardly suitable, salmon-coloured and with a lot of sequins. She looked too lady-like in the dance, not comfortable

2. Domnina/Shabalin
Somewhat cautious in the Waltz, but soft. Polka was very well done, captured the character excellently

3. Kulikova/Novikov
The Waltz weas too slow and stiff. The Polka looked heavy and they skated too fast apart from each other. Ugly costume in the Polka with coloured “bommels”.

4. Khokhlova/Novicki
a bit uncertain in the Waltz, the Polka was more confident (no wonder, it’s the easier dance).

Ladies, SP

1. E. Sokolova
“Polovetsian Dances”
3L-2T Lutz looked a bit cheated, 3F, spins ok, although still not her strong point, 2A, good speed overall

2. V. Volchkova
“Romeo and Juliet” by N. Rota
3L-2T shaky, 3F shaky, 2A, spins rather simple, overall slow. She said that she had been sick in december and isn’t in top shape

3. T. Basova
“The Feeling Begins”
3L-2T nice, 2F, 2A, goos spins and spiral, but her blade got hooked on her ring (!) in the Biellmann position, she couldn’t get her leg free and fell. The spin was completed, though, I think.

4. A. Gershkovitch
“Chicago”
3F, 3L step out-2T, 2A, nice to watch

5. K. Oblasova
2A low, 3L-2T (flutz, shaky), 2F, wobbly overall

6. J. Soldatova
2L-2T, 3F, 2A with lean/fell out, layback spin very simple

7. V. Vorobieva
(Alexei Urmanov’s student) 3S-2T, 3F, 2A, nice layback. She did what she can do. Gutsy, missed the flip several times in the warm up but then nailed it. Skated to “Prince of Egypt” (an exhibition program of Alexei, but of course a different piece)

Men, SP

1. E. Plushenko
Tango and Flamenco
4T-3T solid, 3A good, fast footwork, 3L, combospin a bit laboured. 5 times 6.0 for presentation, a bit exaggerated, I’d say, although it was good and the best of the season so far for him.

2. I. Klimkin
„Swan Lake“
3A with lean-2T, 4T perfect and looked as easy as a triple, 2A, spins in general good,but the combo spin travelled

3. A. Griazev
Tango
3A huge-2T off balance, 3F, Yagudinesque footwork, 2A

4. A. Abt
“Russian Sailor Dance”
3T-2T, A popped, 3L, fast footwork, spins ok. I think he must have hurt something. He limped off the Kiss and Cry, and he looked like he was in pain earlier this morning in practice after landing a jump

5. D.Leushin
“Lord of the Dance”
really improved. 3A-2T, 3L, 2A

6. A. Kondakov
“Quixote” by Bond
3-3 combo, I’m not sure what the first jump was, 3F, 2A

7. A. Lutai
3A fell

8. A. Uspenski
3 A stumbled badly (you could say fall, but I’m nice with him)

9. S. Dobrin
3A fell. His 3A in practice looked much better

windspirit

On the Ice
Eislauffan, glad to see you here. Welcome to GS!

Thanks so much for posting your reports here, too. :)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
thanks so much, eislaufen! I never even get to see a box score for the Russian championships.

dpp