Russian Nationals, Ladies Short Report | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Russian Nationals, Ladies Short Report

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
So Russians have pride of country when they want to compete and win but North Americans are considered nationalistic when they do the same.? I think maybe some of that willingness to give all for Russia may not be coming from free will at all.

Last edited:
North Americans have just too many ethnic groups to agree on the same thing.

Russians have the advantage of being unified in rooting for their home team. Even the Russians in exile are still rooting for the home ethnic team. Nothing wrong with it. It's quite natural. Russians are very open about their belief that Russia is the best of everything.

Best thing is let it be and don't play into it.

Joe

havanamesa1

Rinkside
wvgal57 said:
I'm not Russian, but as a fan I tend to believe there is a real truth behind "illness" or "injury" when they do to withdraw from an event.

Oh, puh-leez. There always has to be drama surrounding her. What's next, a dog who's ill who'll motivate her to skate the skate of her life? What a drama queen. I wonder what new sob story we'll hear when the Olympics are here...

Last edited:

Kasey

Medalist
wvgal57 said:
They have no reason to deceive. They show up. Look at T&M, back on the ice in very short time. Irina same thing, only 6 hospital stays varying in length kept her away from the ice, Plushenko did everything under the sun to try to stay in the game, Yagudin same thing - only retirement took him off eligible ice.

Ummm, didn't Plush do everything in his power to avoid the Grand Prix last year, other than Cup of Russia, while still competing in other events and shows?

I agree with the poster that says you have stated a HUGE generalization here of an entire nation of athletes, one that can not possibly be 100% correct.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
First, I heard somewhere that doing the GP is a condition that the Russian federation puts on remaining Oly eligible, so when Yags wanted to remain Oly eligible while skating with SOI, he still had to do GP events. Does anyone know if this is true? Does the Russian federation consider GP in naming skaters to Oly teams?

Second, does anyone know what monies Russian skaters get, besides prize money?

I don't think Russian skaters are any more competitive than American or Japanese skaters. I think, instead, that those skaters whose federations lay stress on the GP (using it to pick Oly teams, or, making it a condition of Oly eligibility) or those skaters who need the prize money are more likely to do it than are skaters who do not feel so "compelled."

wvgal57 said:
They have no reason to deceive. They show up.
They want to compete, they just don't mouth the words.

Examples cited above are ony the top atheletes but the work ethic and commitment seems to be one of their traits and is on display in many of the athletes there. I suppose a lot of it is about country pride vs glory for themselves.

Do you think Kostner, Poykio, Sebestyan have reasons to deceive?

Joe