Russian Team Event 2021 - Thoughts on the format | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Russian Team Event 2021 - Thoughts on the format

Amei

Record Breaker
1. I don't really care about a jumping contest. TBH, it seems like a chance to get injuries.

Why? I'm sure that the skaters that participate in the competition are going to be doing jumps they do infinitely more often in practice. They are just as likely to get injured in practice as in a 'jump' competition.

2. I think having them doing both a short program and a long program is not a good idea. It would be better to just do it like the Japan Open.
3. The whole paradigm in figure skating where skaters do the same programs for the entire season needs to go away. They should have done something fun like required there to be a shared theme for the teams.

My guess is that they are likely testing out the event for popularity to add it be a regular fixture, and I don't know if mimicking another event exactly would be the best thing. I agree they could have went a lot more creative on the format. I would have preferred it be more random vs. an everyone skates their SP and FS, like once the "teams" are picked the coach has to assign out which skaters do their SP and which do their FS, or the opposing coach picks, random draw (though unlikely as a draw could mean the ladies with quads get the SP and can't do quads). The issue related to the same programs for an entire season is that you are going to further inhibit skaters without bigtime money either private money or money through sponsorships - choreography is expensive and asking skaters to get 3-4 programs a year would likely push out skaters.

4. Events like these should be opportunities to experiment with the rules. How about a rule that gives out extra bonuses for doing the 4T and 3As later in the program beyond the 10% bonus? Or rules that allow skaters to break up the step sequences? Or have spins be judged purely on GOE? Or how about give extra bonuses to spiral sequences over regular choreographic sequences(good spirals should be rewards well)? Etc, etc.

Well I think part of not doing that might be that this event is to also help skaters get more miles on competition programs; so we are going to see are the programs that are intended to be competition programs based on the ISU judging system.

5. Not having Zagitova and Medvedeva actually skating face to face has been a missed opportunity post 2018 Olympics.

I think not having both Medvedeva and Zagitova participate as skaters for the competition is protecting their reputations. Neither skater prior to their last competition skates were very competitive with the top of the Russian ladies field and now they both have had extended time off from hardcore training its unlikely that's improved.

To keep figure skating's popularity high(beyond the rah rah patriotism of having winner), they need to provide both regular content and novel content. And I worry an event like this doesn't really provid the sort of novelty that people really want.

Yep

FelineFairy

On the Ice

Novalis

Record Breaker
It's boys against girls in the jumping contest.
Just 4 members of each:

Girls: Kamila, Sasha, Anna, Liza (no Dasha, Alyona)
Boys: Misha, Makar, Andrei, Dima

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Outline of schedule:

Friday Feb 5th
- First the jumping competition (boys vs girls)
- Then the draw. Actual teams.
- Then captains Zagitova and Medvedeva will perform exhibition numbers

Saturday
- Teams SP

Sunday
- Teams FP
Nice to have a weekend of skating...I'll be on board Saturday and Sunday.Admittedly the jumping contest is different from the ones I've seen before, but I'll stick to the programmes. I'll probably like both teams, so I'm just going to enjoy the skating! Which will probably be good anyway. Whoever 'wins'!

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
That makes me assume Kostornaia doesn't have her triple axel back or gained a quad
She certainly hadn't time to gain a quad, but should she have her 3A back already (which I don't know), in jumps she would still be behind the girls jumping team, because if jumped alone, Elizaveta Tuktamysheva has also a 4T and maybe a 4S, though she can't jump them in a program yet.
And we might see other boys and girls showing jumps we don't know they can jump, because they can't jump them in a program yet.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
My money is on the women - or ah girls. THey have the advantage i think with the jumps - more consistent amore likely to lnd the quad lutz. I think the most pressure might be on Sasha to try to prove she deserves a spot on the Russian team come worlds. Assuming worlds is a go which seems to be the case.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My money is on the women - or ah girls. THey have the advantage i think with the jumps - more consistent amore likely to lnd the quad lutz. I think the most pressure might be on Sasha to try to prove she deserves a spot on the Russian team come worlds. Assuming worlds is a go which seems to be the case.
It is a friendly, exhibition event. All in good fun.

That being said, it won’t hurt anyone to just score all the men -5, even if they jump perfectly. Haha

Amei

Record Breaker

I think the most pressure is on her to show that she can deliver since Nationals was the first time in over a year she was clean at a competition. Right now I think she's safe for Worlds team but looking long-term next year Valieva is age-eligible and if Kostornaia is able to get back to her skating from last season, leaving off someone like Trusova that's a wild card on whether she's going to land her quads/triple axels is a possible since there would be another option with those jumps.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
It is a friendly, exhibition event. All in good fun.

That being said, it won’t hurt anyone to just score all the men -5, even if they jump perfectly. Haha

Hell no! But I guess I'll sit alone on "team underdog" bench and root for the boys.

You call it a friendly exhibition, I call it manufactured drama. Having TAT be the judge just seals the deal haha.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hell no! But I guess I'll sit alone on "team underdog" bench and root for the boys.

You call it a friendly exhibition, I call it manufactured drama. Having TAT be the judge just seals the deal haha.
Did you really think for an instant that this was anything other than manufactured drama?

I mean, look at the coaches, or team captains, or whatever they're calling them.

The whole thing has a professional wrestling vibe... and that's OK. I like wrestling every now and then.

I won't bother trying to find a livestream, but I'll watch the playback if a few trusted sources tell me there is something worth watching.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Yeah, but that manufactured drama is working. Haha

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Did you really think for an instant that this was anything other than manufactured drama?

I mean, look at the coaches, or team captains, or whatever they're calling them.

The whole thing has a professional wrestling vibe... and that's OK. I like wrestling every now and then.

I won't bother trying to find a livestream, but I'll watch the playback if a few trusted sources tell me there is something worth watching.
I said this before, figure skating in some ways does pro wrestling better than pro wrestling.

So, what a great time to bring out the crooked ref on Friday night to cheat for the girls. In true heel fashion, maybe the monitor or lights go out if they fall on a jump, and since they didn’t see it, they can’t deduct it. Haha

noeleyle

On the Ice
I love the idea of girl/boy jump competition, it's my biggest interest:ROFLMAO: Russia may be the only country that can actually make it work. And my money is on the girls (please surprise me, boys
Don't know if anyone's seen the 2002/03 Top Jump competition in France. They had the skaters trying 3-3-2, 4, 4-3 one after another. It was fun to watch. The team event is using a slightly different format, but anyway it can't be that different. I'm looking forward to it.

noeleyle

On the Ice
I kinda look forward to seeing jumps that they don't usually do in programs. It may be easier to do just a jump alone than doing it in a program. Skaters have less to worry about. Although since many of them are still recovering from either injury or disease...let's just hope for it.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This thought also popped into my head: what if the “manufactured” drama isn't really manufactured and Channel 1 is just amplifying drama that’s already there?

Not that I’m trying to stir the pot or anything. Haha

But if I was channel 1, I would give first pick to the skater that scores higher on their exhibition program tomorrow. Ok, now that I think of it, maybe I am stirring the pot. Haha

Last edited: