Sandra Bezic keeps up the dialogue | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Sandra Bezic keeps up the dialogue

Winnipeg

Final Flight
Was Bezic the one that went on and on after Tara's Olympic LP about how she hasn't experienced as much of life but her expression and artistry are beautiful considering her age and life experiences, it was quite gushy if IRC.

My least favorite commentator is Scott Hamilton. Although he is certainly a very nice person, he is way OTP IMHO when he starts going on about a skater during the performance

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I guess I'm the only one who likes Sandra Bezik AND Suzie Wynn AND Scott Hamilton.

Scott cracks me up, especially when he is trying to say something encouraging about the second tier skaters.

It's no surprise that I like Scotty, though I agree that he can sometimes overdo it... and since he's worked with NBC I've seen his commentary take a negative nose dive. I think he's one of those commentators that follows the tone of whatever the other commentators have. 2002 - yes it was called unfairly, but Scott came back a day or two after and during and interview with Bob Costas apologised for getting too in the moment and that the team should have called it better. Bob tried to get him to back track and not apologise, but he didn't. I honestly am surprised they still have Scott in the booth just because of that. It's no secret NBC is anti-the Russian team. Period.

Sandra has always been biased towards the skaters she's worked with. Boitano could do no wrong on the pro circuit, Kurt (which IceNetwork really showed their bias by saying Sandy was best known for her work with only the US skaters. Um, hello - CASABLANCA????) also got her undying love (not that I disagreed with her about his skating lol). She goes with the network flow very well.

The NBC color commentators are horrible, bt that's nothing new. Terry Gannon has a nice cushy job with ABC/ESPN sports, I don't see him jumpin ship just to be with the small bit of skating coverage NBC would give him.

My dream team would be Scott, Kurt, Paul, and Chris Dean. No offense to the ladies, that's just how I'd have it. I don't know if Chris has ever done commentary, but I'd love to hear his take on ice dance. For color commentator I'd take Verne Lundquist but he's with CBS. I wouldn't use ANY of the NBC ones...

Was Bezic the one that went on and on after Tara's Olympic LP about how she hasn't experienced as much of life but her expression and artistry are beautiful considering her age and life experiences, it was quite gushy if IRC.
Hardly surprising, since she choreographed Tara's Olympic programs. :)

Although...as I recall Tara wasn't exactly a doormat. She insisted on using the music that she loved, despite Bezik's objections. Bezik eventually gave in, figuring that it was more important that Tara liked the music than that she (Bezik) did.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Tara and Sandra butted heads during SOI too, though we never got the full story - Sandra sidelined the skater due to the hip injury and Tara didn't like it so she skated anyway. That was her last season of skating... *Shrugs*

Tara's got guts, though, because Sandy scares the bejeebers outta me (ask kwanfan1212... just walking past us that day in St. Paul I swear the room got colder lol)

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
Hardly surprising, since she choreographed Tara's Olympic programs. :)

Although...as I recall Tara wasn't exactly a doormat. She insisted on using the music that she loved, despite Bezik's objections. Bezik eventually gave in, figuring that it was more important that Tara liked the music than that she (Bezik) did.
Yes, I remember Sandra wanted to use classical music for her programs but Tara wouldn't go for it. For her Olympic SP she used music from Anastasia - and the movie hadn't even been released yet. Tara saw a rough cut of the movie and decided that she had to skate to that music.

More details are in Christine Brennan's book Edge of Glory (http://www.amazon.com/Edge-Glory-In...=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1229373414&sr=1-4). There is a section that compares how Tara and Michelle's Olympic SP came about. Now I'm going to have to go back and read that part again....

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

Now I'm going to have to go back and read that part again....
As I recall it was just the opposite with Michelle. Lyra Angelica was a piece that represented heaven itself to Lori Nichol. (She said something like, that's the music I want to hear as I fly through the pearly gates. :) )

But it was a hard sell to Michelle. Michelle didn't really get it and had to be talked into using the music, by Lori and Frank.

It is interesting that after Michelle stopped working with Nichol, her (Michelle's) choice of music took an about face, from gems that most people had never heard of to old figure skating standards.

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
As I recall it was just the opposite with Michelle.
I don't recall the details about Lyra Angelica, but I remember the Rach SP came about by combining a piece of music Lori had intended to use for Karen Kwan (the first part from Trio Elegie? not sure about the correct title) and the section from Rach's Piano Concerto #3 which Frank found. In another twist I remember, that piece was used by Christopher Bowman - but that was when he left Frank for Toller Cranston.

Anyhow, Lori sent Michelle a multi-page fax detailling why she should use the music chosen - but I can't remember if it was for Rach or Lyra Angelica.

I also remember that Lori had found Lyra Angelica earlier but decided to save it for right moment - which was the Olympics.

Kind of back on topic: Tara liked The Rainbow (her LP music) because she thought it sounded big and important in the arena. My first thought was it was very generic....

Now I really have to go and dig out the book.....

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

^^^
is all this business about Michelle, Frank and Lori to cause a split over Lyric Angelica? I was just coming back to being a fan of figure skating. I never understood the split and with the father taking over just made it more confounded. I just assumed it was the beginning of the hip problem because there was no 3x3 and Michelle knew of Tara's 3x3s and that bubble gum style which the audience loves for little girls.

Why is it that skater's believe it was something outside that caused the faulty skate, and not from inside the skater?

Was it all Disney directed?

But then all that warhorse music until Aranjuez.

Back to topic: Sandra did a good job with Tara emphasizing the little girl look to the more popular competitor. Everyone loves for the little girls to rise to the occasion.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Considering Michelle left frank FOUR YEARS after the 98 Olympics I don't think her 98 SP was the reason she left.

Why does Disney play any part of your theory? Aside from their ESPN/ABC Sports coverage and a few disney on ice specials they don't really do much surrounding the olympics.

The only reason Michelle ever gave for splitting with her long-time choreographer and then her coach was, "I wanted to take charge of my own skating."

She was 21 and ready to move forward with her life. Although "wanting to take charge of my own skating" leaves a lot of details hidden, still, I have never doubted that this was the plain truth. I doubt if she could explain it even to herself any better.

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
^^^
is all this business about Michelle, Frank and Lori to cause a split over Lyric Angelica?
No, not at all. The book was written a few years before the split. The book used the 97 Worlds as a starting point and traced the paths of the major players on the way to Nagano. I was just trying to remember the details Christine wrote regarding the development of Michelle's and Tara's respective SPs. Now I am also somewhat remembering from the book that Michelle wanted to skate to a Spanish piece for the SP but Lori wrote the fax to convince her why she should skate to Rach. Frank had presented the Rach #3 to Lori and like the piece but needed more (not long enough) - that's when she remembered the Rach's Trio Elegiaque for Karen and thought that it would go perfectly with Rach #3.

I don't think there was any hesitation about Lyra Angelica. As I said before, I recall that Lori found the piece earlier but wanted to save it for the right time.

I just thought it was fascinating to read the story behind the programs.

Now I really have to dig the book out when I get home!!!!

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

Alsace

On the Ice
My dream team would be Scott, Kurt, Paul, and Chris Dean. No offense to the ladies, that's just how I'd have it. I don't know if Chris has ever done commentary, but I'd love to hear his take on ice dance.

Christopher Dean has done commentary. I think it was for the BBC, but I do remember the US worlds coverage during Dean's work with the Duchenays (sp?). There was a shot or two of Dean in the announcer's booth particularly after the performance giving the brother-sister duo a standing ovation. Sorry that I don't remember if it was Missing I or II.

antmanb

Record Breaker
I really like the British Eurosport guys, but alot of times it seems they don't know a whole lot about the tech stuff and COP.

Really? I have to say i'm pretty surprised at that. Chris Howarth is a pretty good technical coach and usually explains why a jump has gone wrong for a skater. He nearly always spots under-rotations and edge calls in real time, and will point out features for levels in spins and footwork. During this GP season the commentators have obviously not had access to the protocols like they usually do at Europeans and Worlds so they have had to specualte as to what may and may not have counted looking at the score and they have mostly been right.

The each also usually give an opinion about the PCS and whether the program worked, musically/choreographically and aren't affraid to disagree on that between each other.

Ant

No, not at all. The book was written a few years before the split. The book used the 97 Worlds as a starting point and traced the paths of the major players on the way to Nagano. I was just trying to remember the details Christine wrote regarding the development of Michelle's and Tara's respective SPs. Now I am also somewhat remembering from the book that Michelle wanted to skate to a Spanish piece for the SP but Lori wrote the fax to convince her why she should skate to Rach. Frank had presented the Rach #3 to Lori and like the piece but needed more (not long enough) - that's when she remembered the Rach's Trio Elegiaque for Karen and thought that it would go perfectly with Rach #3.

I don't think there was any hesitation about Lyra Angelica. As I said before, I recall that Lori found the piece earlier but wanted to save it for the right time.

I just thought it was fascinating to read the story behind the programs.

Now I really have to dig the book out when I get home!!!!

Herm (sk8ngnutt)
Thank you Herm. maybe you should consider going into Figure Skating History. it's not easy to find all the memorabilia for history. One has to dig it out.

The only reason Michelle ever gave for splitting with her long-time choreographer and then her coach was, "I wanted to take charge of my own skating."

She was 21 and ready to move forward with her life. Although "wanting to take charge of my own skating" leaves a lot of details hidden, still, I have never doubted that this was the plain truth. I doubt if she could explain it even to herself any better.
And she hired her father?

btw, Wasn't Disney a big contributor to her life? I remember some of the anti-Kwans commenting about her being under contract for the Disney Channel and how unfair it was. Then there was Mulein. She did help TV ratings.

Last edited by a moderator:

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
It is interesting that after Michelle stopped working with Nichol, her (Michelle's) choice of music took an about face, from gems that most people had never heard of to old figure skating standards.

Does anyone know if Michelle got to pick her own music under Nichol? Or did Nichol and Caroll make all the music choices?

I loved her music early in her career though. East of Eden, Romanza and the music selections from Salome are some of my favorites. Maybe she had more freedom to pick her own music after leaving Caroll and Nichol, and she liked pieces which were more well known.

marc2000

Rinkside
I used to really like Barb Underhill and Paul Martini commentating on the Canadian networks. I thought as they skated together for so long they interacted very well. They were also knowledgable about all disciplines of skating providing both technical insight and strategy from the judges point of view as well as from the skater's point of view.

And then of course there were the referecnes to other sports" "it's like she hit the sweet spot on every jump." Bonus points if you know who this was in reference to and what competition. ;-)

It seems most commentators are not approved by 100% of the fans.
What exactly do fans expect from a commentator?

Quiet mode for calling the elements as they happen? Kerrigan does that, but many fans diss her Is the dissing personal and non related to skating

Dick Button who talks about the past while calling out the elements.

Sandra Bezik who at one time seemed rather bias in calling at a Pairs Event, and left the impression that she will do it again. Has she?

Peggy Flemming who doesn't say much except for the Ladies and much of it is about the body form of spirals and spins.

Scott Hamilton who does have a sqeaky voice, but he does call out the elements? Biased all the time?

I'm sure there are others. But I like an animated commentater provided he/she
Calls the elements carefully but puts his opinions in there.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
btw, Wasn't Disney a big contributor to her life? I remember some of the anti-Kwans commenting about her being under contract for the Disney Channel and how unfair it was. Then there was Mulein. She did help TV ratings.

she had a contract with DISNEY, not the disney channel. I don't think she ever did any specials for them. all of her specials were on ABC. She was in Mulan but also skated in Disney's Greatest Hits on Ice (as Peter Pan with a pony tail) and there were a couple of others. Disney did these all independantly of the olympic seasons...