Sasha Cohen and Project Runway | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Sasha Cohen and Project Runway

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Jasper said:
Could the dress be the one she wore during the SP? I thought it was very nice, especially the color and the skirt. Plus, it is different than the dress she had typically been wearing for "Dark Eyes."
My thoughts exactly.

Jasper

Final Flight
julietvalcouer said:
I was wondering about that blue dress being the Project Runway winner, though if it's like the awards-show dress from the first season of the show, it might be somewhat altered from the designer's conception. I had thought when I watched the first season of the show it would be neat to see them do a skating costume, though I also was kind of curious about how they'd handle some of the logistics--that is has to cover more than some haute fashion does, material that can stretch and breathe, no stuff likely to fall off, right length, etc.

Though watching the OD yesterday, I had to think--Tanith's dress looked like a PR "out". It managed to make HER look hippy. (As in wide hips, not flower-child.) Heh, now THERE would be a true challenge for Project Runway--tasteful ice dance outfits.

True about last season's Nancy O'Dell Grammy challenge. Wendy Pepper won but her dress was tweaked so much and the feathers she originally had were taken out completely! So Sasha might have altered the winning dress as well before the competition.

I also thought about Tanith's dress as a PR product. Both her OD and FD dresses are pretty wild and overly designed and "out there." That would be another huge challenge for PR designers, but I'm glad they have to do a singles skating dress that really should be much simpler and more practical. It should force some to be more reserved in designing, for once.

I was also considering the possibility that the winning dress might just be used in exhibitions?

millie

Medalist
Hey guys, don't forget to tune into Project Runway tonight to see your new national Champion on BRAVO. And guess what, she's on Jay Leno also. My oh My, you're little girl is famous. Way to go Sasha.

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Okay, I didn't see Nationals exhibitions, so I don't know if she used it there, but...winner was NOT the SP dress. It was a Swan Lake themed number which, IMO, is a bit too open in the front. Honestly, I wasn't really thrilled with anything they did--but the "out" dress was, if not the worst (Santino's god-awful "Phoenix" creation was) I swear basically the same as Jayne Torvill's rhumba dress from '94. Different fabric, same principle. Been there, done that, bored now. But honestly the winner didn't strike me as all that original, either.

ATW27

On the Ice
Saw most of it. Did anyone else notice that the winning design looks just about exactly like the costume Diana Poth wore for her SP in 2004? right down to the swirl designs and the exposed stomach. I kept on saying "That's Diana Poth's costume from a few years ago!" while watching. I'll go see if I can find a picture of it.

Andy W.

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
Now that it's aired....

It was a fun show tonight. I thought it was funny that the girls didn't realize they were wearing skating dresses. I swear Zulema looked like Surya Bonaly's twin!!! Loved Nick's reaction to meeting Sasha. How unfortunate they made Emmett wear that pink atrocity.

The way the comments were going I had a feeling that Sasha would pick Zulema's dress. Of course she picks a dress that emphasizes her, um, lack of a bust. Funny how she said she was straight (referring to her body) when commenting on Kara's dress. I personally would have picked Chloe's dress, with Nick's dress second. As usual, Santino's was just horrible. That skirt was not flattering (especially in the back) and all those feathers!!!While I didn't think Emmett's dress was that bad, I understand the judges comments.

For those of you who don't have Bravo but would like to see the dresses, here is a link to the designs on the Bravo website (front view only): http://www.bravotv.com/Project_Runway_2/Episodes/Episode_7/Rate_the_Runway/Zulema.shtml

BTW - Sasha is going to be on Jay Leno tonight.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

Last edited:
That dress is absolutely atrocious. At least the Santino dress was merely ridiculous. What was Zulema designing for, a Tonya Harding mud wrestling event?

Sasha should be ashamed of herself if she appeared in such a get-up.

MM :)

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
If judging was consistent, they would have eliminated Santino. In the Nicky Hilton challenge, hey eliminaed Guadalupe insead of Marla because basically Cors said, "If she wore Marla's dress, people would just say why does she have two similar dresses? Boring! If she wore Guadalupe's dress, she'd be on the worst dressed list". By the same logic, they should have eliminated Santino instead of Emeth.

Wasn't at all thrilled with Zulema's design (then again perhaps it's just that I seriously dislike that model). I think I would have gone with Andrea or Chloe's design.

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I liked Cloe's design the best... and I think it would really pretty when she was moving around the ice. The judges kept complimenting cloe for using such an unusual color for her costume, and I cant think of too many tourquiose dresses... however i feel like most of what cloe designs has been tourquiouse.

millie

Medalist
Mathman said:
That dress is absolutely atrocious. At least the Santino dress was merely ridiculous. What was Zulema designing for, a Tonya Harding mud wrestling event?

Sasha should be ashamed of herself if she appeared in such a get-up.

The commentators said that Sasha will be wearing the dress, never said when.In ELLE magazine regarding Michelle's dress QUOTE"Because of the misical pieces Vera wang's designs had to be "extreme" and "severe" bordering avante-grant. I suppose they are all trying to look grown up while skating at the Olympics.

Of topic, Sasha looked beautifull on the Leno Show. She wore her hair down and wore red spaghetti strap t-shirt, jeans and red high heal shoes. She looks totally different in street clothes and really in shape. She did herself proud. :clap: Seems kind of shy but did a great job. Leno asked her about wardrobe malfunctions and she told him about how she lost her tights at the last Olymoics. He asked her about the Bush incident with the phone, cute. Also talked about her training. I enjoyed it.:)

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
Ptichka said:
Wasn't at all thrilled with Zulema's design (then again perhaps it's just that I seriously dislike that model). I think I would have gone with Andrea or Chloe's design.
When looking at the picture again, I couldn't help thinking that she looked like Tonya Harding!!!

pic_eps_rate_zulema_ep7.jpg

EXP=1137776423

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

Last edited:

SK8LUVR

On the Ice
Holy smokes! Those dresses are terrible. However, I liked the torquoise color and I guess if I had to pick one it would be the chocolate lab color dress with one sleeve in and one out. But if I was Sasha I would run. She wouldn't look good in any of them. There is no soft delicate features that go with Sasha's body or personally. Those dresses are harsh and totally out there; way out there!!!!!

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I was rooting for Chloe's design, but perhaps it wasn't so practical for a skating dress. I think the winner's dress could be okay if they add more in the middle...way too bare in the middle. Actually when the models were coming down the runway, I was thinking poor Sasha has to wear one of these things!? :biggrin:

They said she'd wear it in an exhibition. Perhaps she'll wear it in a non-televised exhibition?! ;)

Fun show.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, Sasha had to pick one of the dresses. I agree about the front being too low, it may work though.

Dee

OK, I just watched the actual show. (Mrs. MM taped it for me.) I take back my original impression of the winning dress. It looked fine on TV, unlike that awful "Tanya-esque" way it came out in the picture. On TV, the illusion fabric in the middle looked a lot more tasteful.

About the light blue dress, although the other two judges liked the color, Sasha said that it was "unusual" for a skating costume. I got the idea that she meant it would blend in with the ice too much and not stand out.

I though Sasha was very poised as a celebrity judge. She was really into the fashion aspect of the whole experience.