Satoko Miyahara | Page 94 | Golden Skate

Satoko Miyahara

Leonardo

Final Flight
Satoko will stay in the United States after Skate America to polish her choreography
https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20171114-00052540-nksports-spo

Due to the fact that when she got choreography done she was still banned from jumping, Satoko and Tom Dickson will work again in order to complete the missing pieces. The jumping ban was only lifted in October.

Impressive fast recovery! Maybe she will surprise us in nationals after all.

euroskate

Final Flight
just wanted to say that the pinkish rose Dress she wore at NHK is the most beautiful Dress i have seen like forever!

lucyagogo

On the Ice
Satoko is the most beautiful of all skaters without a question. The softness of her moves and ballerina-like quality and style are incredible, really, really like her.

emipeters

Rinkside
I'm a little disappointed in the B.ESP commentary for Satoko's FS - no mention of the fact that she's coming back from serious injury. They talk of there being "something missing" from her fs performance - it would have been nice if they'd given their audience proper context and been a little bit more congratulatory about her comeback.

klutzonice

Rinkside
I'm a little disappointed in the B.ESP commentary for Satoko's FS - no mention of the fact that she's coming back from serious injury. They talk of there being "something missing" from her fs performance - it would have been nice if they'd given their audience proper context and been a little bit more congratulatory about her comeback.

I've been finding B.ESP very hot and cold when it comes to Satoko, and I think it was last season when I noticed their commentary wasn't as complimentary as before. They didn't seem to know about her injury either, otherwise I think they definitely would have mentioned it.

But anyway, I'm really proud of what Satoko has achieved this past weekend and her performances really showed how much I've missed her - she is elegant, graceful, musical and just so, so, watchable. I hope she stays in good health.

ioanna

Record Breaker
Japan times was also none too kind...

I must admit I expected some negativity with Satoko's comeback but not this much negativity. According to Japan Times, Satoko's career is almost done and she needs to kiss her Olympic chances goodbye. As expected from the same source who was forcing Mao Asada into retirement and criticizing her time and time again.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Satoko is the most beautiful of all skaters without a question. The softness of her moves and ballerina-like quality and style are incredible, really, really like her.

:), for me, she totally resembles a porcelain figurine in a music box - fragile and delicate. But what makes her so powerful is the way she fills the rink, works with music and translates it to the movement. I'll never measure her only through how high her jumps are, some skaters will excel in jumps height, some will excel in ice presence, interpretation, intricacy of movement - for me, one equals another and should be a subject to appreciate. And she comes out from injury, after quite a long time away from competition - she won't get magically her jumping ability back in full immediately; if she's willing to progress and give herself time, people should understand it, support it or stay silent, if they cannot contain their criticism/defeatism within themselves.

I must admit I expected some negativity with Satoko's comeback but not this much negativity. According to Japan Times, Satoko's career is almost done and she needs to kiss her Olympic chances goodbye. As expected from the same source who was forcing Mao Asada into retirement and criticizing her time and time again.

well...what about waiting for December and actually watch Satoko and others at Nationals? 'Coulda, woulda, shoulda' seems to be a main slogan for some media these days, with such dynamics concerned over Japanese ladies, 2 spots to gain, the fight and decisions will be open until last moment. From my potato perspective, it's a pure shame about Japanese media having no respect for Satoko's achievements and her fight to get back on ice from injury and no consideration over the fact of her re-gaining her strength jumping-wise. Yes, it's not looking perfect and ready for Olympics as for now, but to cross her out completely at this point? I'm just happy that there is so much people around the world to be with Satoko thick and thin, she needs that support and we need more of her in competition.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
I don't pay any attention to the imbecile that writes for Japan Times... :p

emipeters

Rinkside
Given that Satoko only started jumping again in October, and that she looked physically stronger than I've ever seen her at NHK, I think nobody should be underestimating her come Nationals. She's still a major contender for an Olympic spot.

liv

Record Breaker
She only started jumping in October? We saw her in the summer jumping, though, at The Ice and on news clips, didn't we? Or did she have a setback and have to take more time off? IIRC, she had to pull out of Finlandia so she must have had more issues and then started jumping again in October...

I hope she has a good showing at Skate America and does the best that she can do at that time. I"m sure she'll improve there from NHK and that should give her confidence to have a good solid block of training until Nationals. You never know what will happen there. Those articles are silly to write her off so soon.

ioanna

Record Breaker
She only started jumping in October? We saw her in the summer jumping, though, at The Ice and on news clips, didn't we? Or did she have a setback and have to take more time off? IIRC, she had to pull out of Finlandia so she must have had more issues and then started jumping again in October...

I mentioned in an earlier post here, she was allowed to do 2 jumps a day until October and 10 jumps a day after October. She was not allowed to jump the 3T because that's the jump that affects her hip the most. This is why I was personally worried she wouldn't have the 3Lz-3T and 2A-3T back but I was more than glad to be proven wrong. She sprained her ankle at THE ICE and got sick with high fever, fatigue and digestive problems towards the end of the summer. That means no proper runthrough of the FS until days before NHK. It was less about the original injury which was mostly cured, and more about preventing the risks of it reoccuring. A stress fracture like that can reoccur if proper measures are not taken. Very dangerous, especially in the hip joint.

Coach Hamada wanted to withdraw due to lack of practice but Satoko wanted to compete regardless of the result (they expected worse than what she did) in order to get used to competing again. She was careful with her jumps and it showed but given the circumstances she managed to surprise herself and coach Hamada, who wasn't expecting this much progress in a matter of weeks.

occoocco

Spectator
I'm so happy Satoko was able to attend NHK Trophy. Although her jumps were not in their full potential, I was able to enjoy her new programs due to her artistry.

I'm wishing her good health and all the luck in Skate America. She is such a fighter. 😊

P.S. I prefer her 2 2A-3Ts FS layout than the one with 3Lz-3T but it might give the judges reason to reduce her SS(?).

P.P.S. I'm hoping for Satoko and Wakaba to make the Olympic team. 😊

ioanna

Record Breaker
P.S. I prefer her 2 2A-3Ts FS layout than the one with 3Lz-3T but it might give the judges reason to reduce her SS(?).

Unfortunately yes, that's what happened at Worlds 2016 when she skated the 2 x 2A-3T layout. Her TES was 2nd highest after Medvedeva but her PCS was 7th and she lost a medal.

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
ITA Eurosport commentators Max Ambesi andAngelo Dolphini had podcast, they were very optimistic about Satoko

they said that she came back from a very tough injury and she did much better than what it could be expected at this stage.
That her injury was especially tough on what it's her weak point to start with (jumps), but she did fine for being the comeback competition and she that she will get only better .

christinaskater

Medalist
ITA Eurosport commentators Max Ambesi andAngelo Dolphini had podcast, they were very optimistic about Satoko

they said that she came back from a very tough injury and she did much better than what it could be expected at this stage.
That her injury was especially tough on what it's her weak point to start with (jumps), but she did fine for being the comeback competition and she that she will get only better .

I am so happy with her performance. Considering she had a jumping ban up until October. Her softness, Ballerina musicality and qualities make her stand out. I really hope and pray that she makes it to Pyeongchang and win. If not, I do hope she continues to skate. She is one of the best skaters ever in my opinion.

A part of me wants her to skate to ‘Planets/Star Wars’ for the Nationals and Olympic Games.