Scrapped programs you wish skaters had kept/debuted? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Scrapped programs you wish skaters had kept/debuted?

LeReveur

On the Ice
I once saw on another forum that Maria Butyrskaya was playing around with "The Chicken Dance" for her SP in the summer of 1999 in her attempt to defend her world title, but an official said it was too quirky. I wish I could see practice footage in video form. No, that's not true. I've never read such a thing!

It would have been fun to see her do something bolder for her free program in her final years. Perhaps some soundtrack to a thriller or adventure movie to force her to confront her nerves with speed and loud music in the arena.

How cool could it be to have a sort of Improv on Ice return in which fans yell out what skaters have to choreograph and then the skaters put together a program for the allotted song.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sean Rabbitt "Tequila" SP:🍸🍸🍸

A wonderful program that I saw live. In fact, I saw this performance.;) Sean returned to another SP for the remainder of that year.

Oh, you beat me to it! I do believe Sean kept it as a show program, though. BTW, we must have been sitting right near you that day because that sounds like me cheering on Sean. :cheer::hap10:

OTOH, I can't get enough of his "East of Eden" SP. Yeah, I know he performed it for @ least 3 seasons, but I still 💕 it (and apparently so does he)!

For the 2001/2002 Olympic season, Todd Eldredge was originally going to skate to music from "Band of Brothers," which I would have loved to see. He switched to the music from the 1st "Lord of the Rings" soundtrack, which I really loved, too. His original short program was "Jumpin' Jack" (Big Bad VooDoo Daddy), which he did in some of the pro-ams early in the season (the Masters of Figure Skating, etc.), but eventually he switched to "Carmina Burana/Mythodea (which became my favorite short program of his). I was so thrilled when he expanded to Carmina Burana/Mythodea as an interpretive free program in the 2002 Spring Pro-Am (the Hershey's Challenge).

Last edited:

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
I really liked Kostornaia’s “You should she me in a crown”. It’s a shame she only used it once or twice

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Li85_u12zow
Also Cheek of Night from Romeo & Juliet.. a nice extension of her Twilight program with its R&J theme.. Music from WE started this skate but Cheek of Night came in at 3:20 and got the audience clapping along and should have started the program imo

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Unfortunately the one performance of it we got is more than a little rough - but Evgenia Medvedeva's Masquerade SP was incredible. I think it might be my favorite StSq of hers.

centerpt1

On the Ice
2009-10 season, Jeremy Abbott "Jupiter" by Holst/"Pines of Rome" by Respighi LP, choreo was by Tom Dickson. It never got skated in competition IIRC, and would have been amazing! I wish he would have revisited that program later in his competitive career because it would have been beautiful! :)
This was my answer, too. It would have been wonderful. I think there was video of the last 20 seconds or so

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
This was my answer, too. It would have been wonderful. I think there was video of the last 20 seconds or so
I'd love to see that video, even if it's only 20 seconds!

Re: "Jupiter," I was listening to it on YouTube and saw one comment that I just had to share:
This piece is so good that they named a whole planet after it. :rofl:

Last edited:

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
They said on their podcast that the scrapped RD was to Sade. Did Sade ever do Cantaloop?
Thanks. I didn't hear that. Sade could've been interesting too! Cantaloop could've just been wrong info. I believe early reports also thought their exhibition program I Hear a Symphony was going to be turned into their FD and that was wrong so can't trust those early rumors.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Weren’t Papadakis/Cizeron supposed to skate to Tango Jalousie a year or two ago? I think I might have seen a clip of it somewhere, sometime… Such a brilliant piece of music. :-(

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Unfortunately the one performance of it we got is more than a little rough - but Evgenia Medvedeva's Masquerade SP was incredible. I think it might be my favorite StSq of hers.

I agree. (y). I hope she will bring it back for an exhibition skate.

ptvvibezz

MK forever
Final Flight
Country
United-States
Another Michelle program that she should've kept was the Miraculous Mandarin. It was only skated one time as a second free skate at 2000-01 GPF.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Another Michelle program that she should've kept was the Miraculous Mandarin. It was only skated one time as a second free skate at 2000-01 GPF.

I love Bartok and adore Michelle but am not so sure this music suits her. To me it feels too intense and edgy for her personality, so IMO going in a different direction was a good call. Agree to disagree? ;)

ptvvibezz

MK forever
Final Flight
Country
United-States
I love Bartok and adore Michelle but am not so sure this music suits her. To me it feels too intense and edgy for her personality, so IMO going in a different direction was a good call. Agree to disagree? ;)
Yes, agree to disagree. I think she could've pulled it off maybe later in her career. She did edgy programs in the future (The Feeling Begins and Carmina Burana) so I think could've pulled it off.